StudentsReview :: Southern Illinois University - Carbondale - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL

Southern Illinois University - Carbondale

Total Grad Surveys 12
Females 6
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.8
Research Quality B (7.1)
Research Availability B- (6.5)
Research Funding C- (3.7)
Graduate Politics B (6.7)
Not Errand Runners B (7.1)
Degree Completion B (7.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (7.1)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.5)
Competitiveness B+ (7.6)
Education Quality B- (6.5)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.0)
Useful Research B (6.8)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.3)
Friendliness B (7.0)
Safety B (7.2)
Campus Beauty A (8.9)
Campus Maintenance B (7.3)
University Spending B- (6.2)
Extracurriculars B (7.1)
Scholastic Success B- (6.2)
Surrounding City B- (6.4)
Social Life/ Environment B (7.2)
Research FundingC-
Campus BeautyA
This is probably the worst mistake of myMay 22 2016Unknown
This is probably the worst mistake of my life. The faculty is extremely condescending and misguide you at every point. I am extremely unhappy, and would not recommend SIUC to even my worst enemy. After spending more than 60k, I certainly feel I would have been better off not coming to this school in the first place.
The undergrads are insane/ghetto, and while you mayMay 15 2011Linguistics
The undergrads are insane/ghetto, and while you may land a full tuition waiver, you will still have fees, which are massive. In fact, I spent is much in fees a year as I did on my undergrad tuition a year.

However, this program is great for someone coming in with no knowledge. For those coming in with knowledge, it can be frustrating/boring at times, but you are encouraged to do your own thing too. If you play your cards right, you can be done in three semesters. If you want to challenge yourself, stay for the 4 and take some of the higher level electives. In the end, it was my higher level electives that got me and one of my classmates hired in America right out of the program.The campus itself is poorly run. The entirety of the upper administrative staff should be fired and new people should be brought in, from the Chancellor down to the Deans. I went to 4 colleges in my academic career, and this one is run so poorly that I can't imagine it surviving a further economic crisis. That's something to consider.

The only reason I went to SIUC wasMay 20 2009Communications
The only reason I went to SIUC was that it was close, and within driving distance of my house, and relatively cheap. I was extremely disappointed with the quality of education here. I was in MCMA, and they just did not hire the faculty to properly teach what they were advertising for our program. I learned more from my fellow students than I did from most of the instructors. When they did get someone decent in, they gave them that year-to-year probationary status, which doesn't really encourage them to stay. Worse yet, they keep really horrible instructors for years and years, and continue to let them teach, even though tons of students went in to complain, which is completely unacceptable. They seem to think they're a research college, which is ludicrous. They need to focus on getting quality instructors in place, set higher standards for the academic expectations of students, and tighten up their admissions policies. Or just give up and repeal all the anti-alcohol rules they have now and go back to being a party college for rich, underachieving idiots from the Chicago suburbs - at least that's filling an actual need, and they can make some decent money with that, and contribute to the local economy.
Apr 14 2009Business - Management and Administration
School is kinda of rigid and backwards. People are weird here, in bad way.
This school is terrible quite honestlyMar 08 2009Business - Management and Administration
This school is terrible quite honestly. The intellectual and academically hard-working students are here but they are far and in between. Most of the populous walking around campus are extremely close-minded rednecks that don't know their head from their tails, literally. The same for the faculty, there are a couple of bright spots and professors that care about students and the institution that hired them, but most are boorish pigs that sit in their office and act like their shit don't stick. Oh, but does it! The pro of SIU and I give it much credit: It is an affordable University to attend. That's all I have to say.
Feb 12 2009Business - Management and Administration
Don't go here unless you are a retard in all walks of life, then please go here, you'll fit right in!
As a student of Aviation at SIUC, IJul 26 2008Other
As a student of Aviation at SIUC, I found the best school for aviation studies and parties. By my junior year, I lived in a house for $250 a month and had 6 kegs every friday, raking in $500 a night for the house. 606 W college st. Our rent was basically paid for. We lived comfortably, Partied hard, and studied hard. Remember, SIUC is still ranked as one of the best flight schools in the nation. I am a successful commercial pilot, and my days at SIUC will never be forgotten. Much has changed now, not so much partying till daylight in that town (afterhours on Cherry or beveridge), but still a great place to go to college. Some people living there still find the energy to buy a keg or two to host a house party every now and then, so enjoy it while you can. And even if you cant find a house party for 3 bucks a cup anymore, there is always Sidetracks.

Take care, Dan

I have attended 4 schools throughout my academicJul 22 2006PreLaw and Legal
I have attended 4 schools throughout my academic career. This was undoubtedly the worst experience of my life. The people who live in Carbondale are toothless, inbred hillbillies. The school's facilities are falling apart. The library partially collapsed this year. The law school building's heating system is so poor professors teach in shorts in the winter. The faculty are arrogant and unwilling to help students. Cheating was rampant. The school has a reputation for being a party school. That's probably it's only positive attribute. This was a waste of time and money. DO NOT GO HERE!!!!
The law school is such a disappointmentJun 06 2006Other
The law school is such a disappointment. No one goes there because it was their first choice. Library is microscopic compared to most law libraries. The building's heating and cooling system never works. The professors are distance and arrogant with a few exceptions. Teaching quality is equivalent to a correspondence course. I wouldn't encourage anyone to attend here.
I received both BMar 28 2005Agriculture/Horticulture
I received both B.S. & M.S. degrees at SIUC in 2002 & 2004, respectively. Before I looked into attending SIU I had nearly no idea what existed in Carbondale. I feel I am very fortunate to have attended such an institution that offers a great learning/research environment and as well an extremely student friendly community where the students can take time to relax and take in some of the nation's best nightlife while not in classes.

The professors in my department (ABE) were very helpful through out my career as a student at SIU from when it came time to select/sign-up for classes to research help from varios department professors to career counseling, they will help you with it all.

Outside of the classrooms, Southern Illinois has plenty to offer, be it large state parks, lakes and many other scenic attractions, attending one of the best rated teams in NCAA Division 1 basketball games or a Saturday tailgate and catch the #1 ranked Saluki football team (1-AA) in action at McAndrew Stadium. There are also a wide variety of night clubs and establishments to appeal to the tastes of everyone. Fine dining or Pub & Grub, Sports bars to Dance Clubs, Southern has got it all, Not to mention a live music scene that is second to none!I would highly recommend attending Southern Illinois University Carbondale to anyone!

Research Topic(s): Estimation of Capital Recovery Periods for Bachelor's Alumni Who Earn
I've also completed my undergraduate work hereMar 03 2003Education
I've also completed my undergraduate work here. Each time, I've after earning a degree, I've come back to a warm reception a few years later. At present, I work for the university and I've relocated my family here. If the opportunity presents itself, I hope to join the faculty here and continue the tradition of providing one of the best learning experiences offered by a research extensive institution.
Compare SIU-CarbondaleSave SIU-Carbondale