StudentsReview :: Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL

Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville

I do not even know where to begin.BrightUndecided
I do not even know where to begin. The academics seem to be at a high school level, but most of the faculty and professors are approachable and helpful at least. BUT the services at this school are awful! Talk about red tape! It seems like you have to give an arm and a leg to get anything done! I had a horrible experience with the health services department. They placed a hold on my registration because they said I was missing a vaccine on my immunization record. I proceeded to go to a clinic where I was told I already had the vaccine that they said I needed! I called the school and told them there was a mistake, and then they told me that it was because my immunization record had not been opened in over two years. I then called my general practioner and had them send my record to the school, while I was on the phone with the health services department. I informed the lady that they just a minute ago sent my record, and I want it reevaluated while I am on the phone. I was told that she was "too busy". Too busy?? All you have to do is walk to the dang fax machine and look at it! The lady on the phone proceeded to give me the run around until I refused to hang up until she voided the hold and the fee.

As for advising, if you are wanting to figure yourself out, do not come here. The advisors just move you from office to office to talk to you about what you want to do. They do not help with scheduling classes at all. You usually are stuck taking classes you do not need just to fill up a class itself.

Students are super cliquey. I have met maybe two people I actually like to talk to. The fraternities are predominantly white, and even racist to an extent. And although SIUE says they are trying to diversify, there have been so many recent cases opened up by campus police in regards to hate crimes that it probably could fill a whole filing cabinet! This school has NO sense of community, and I cannot wait to transer out.

The one good thing about the campus is that it is very beautiful with lots of trees. I do enjoy long walks, so the distance the buildings are from each other does not really bother me. However, they do have these crazy geese on campus that are extemely territorrial and will attack you if you get to close, especially during mating season.Overall, I would spend money else where. As others have said, it really is a glorified community college that views you as a monetary amount rather than a student who is striving to better yourself. There are far better schools in the St. Louis area than SIUE.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A, Individual Value: F
I came to college not sure of whatQuite BrightUndecided
I came to college not sure of what I wanted to do. If your in the same situation, I would not recommend Southern Illinois University Edwardsville(SIUE). This school is known for appealing to students that lone for the independence of being away from home but the accessibility to conveniently go home if needed. However it's better for on campus students that are sure about their major and clear on their future goals. Unfortunately many students come to college alone right out of high school and are unsure of what they want to do. If this sounds like you I would seriously reconsider going to SIUE.

In my eyes a good teacher understands the needs of a student. They'll teach a lesson and know how to adjust there teaching strategy to fit the class. I have not seen this happen at SIUE the gen ed teachers are unsure of how to teach difficult material. Leaving the students with memorizing material instead of actually understanding material. I'm sure that if test were given to students (that attended class regularly) 3 months after the completion of the class more than 65% of the students will not remember concepts that they learnt. Which is not only a waste of money, but a waste of time. This has been my experience with general education courses.

SIUE is diverse but yet divided. At SIUE you'll never actually get to learn your highest potential because your automatically put into a category. At SIUE it's difficult to get out of that category because there aren't many opportunities just meet and get to know someone different. Some students immediately find a group that they relate to and become comfortable which can lead to a divide in the school. But the biggest division is caused when current members of the group are so comfortable that don't have the desire to meet and learn about others. If you want to figure out what is going on with each organization/group, make sure to cut out a few hours in your day and don't be surprised if you don't find anything, because there is no central system to update students on what's happening in each organization. The only way that you'll actually know about events is if your in that group's loop. Which is probably another reason there's a division between students. If you are clear about what you want SIUE has the tools and resources to assist you in becoming a success. If your trying to find your niche or just want to meet new people rethink going to SIUE. For undecided students, please do not have an epiphany and figure out what you want to do with your life, and actually think that you'll be able to talk with your adviser until you make an appointment.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Useful Schoolwork: A, Individual Value: F
I would recommend this school to just aboutQuite BrightCivil Engineering
I would recommend this school to just about anyone. I have not had any problems with administration at all. Courses in engineering can get tough. I do not consider myself to be a "social butterfly." I don't think I have enough leverage on my social life here to really make one. I am still trying to find out what will help it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017