StudentsReview :: School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

This is not a school for people lookingBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This is not a school for people looking to refine their techniques and gaining mastery of a medium. If anything it is the opposite, where dabbling in everything and anything is encouraged. I don't come from an affluent background at all, quite the opposite, I come from an immigrant family and going to SAIC was a huge financial burden. I went to community college for two years then transferred in, with a help of merit scholarships and some grants. I still had to borrow a lot of money tho. I knew what I was getting into from the get go, and now I am paying for it.

A lot of skills I had to learn on my own, and you have to be willing to put in extra time doing research. I think what I got the most out of my time here was learning how to THINK. (yes, you can do this pretty much anywhere, or on your own )SAIC worked for me despite everything. I almost wished I had been here all 4 years, but frankly if I had come in as a freshman I probably would have dropped out because I had no idea what the fuck i was doing.

Being a transfer student was different, since I had a stronger academic background (academic classes here are a joke, just take all the Gen Ed requirements elsewhere and save yourself 50K). I really appreciate the resources though. Being here, allowed me to build a framework for myself and my practice, and met amazing people who took me out of my comfort zone and challenged me everyday.

There have been 4-5 faculty members that have honestly changed my life, but it was not always the case in all the classes. Some were mediocre, some where life changing. It is definitely up to the student what they receive from this education. There are no grades, it is a pass/fail system, so you need to be self-aware to know what your benchmark for success. If you're one to get competitive about coursework this is not the place for you--cooperation and collaboration is encouraged. I'm grateful for my experience here, but it's not for everyone.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Extracurricular Activities: D+
Expensive school, on top of supplies and dailyNot so brightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Expensive school, on top of supplies and daily living prices in Chicago with the 9% sales tax.
Great if you have loads to spend to experiment per teacher and curriculum recommendation, but if you're not super financially well-off, I'd highly recommend looking elsewhere.

Also, if you are looking to get techniques out of your education, SAIC is not the place for you. Except for their (exceptional) fashion program and some paths in VisCom, the other majors are all find-your-own-way-to it.

A good fine arts school for those with money, not great for technique, design, or most middle- to lower-middle-class income students. Financial aid will be little to no service, as will the Career and Co-Op center.

The Art History is generally superb, and many of the liberal arts classes such as writing/english are good as well.

A VERY heavy workload??how people manage to have a social life and manage to turn in masterpieces I will never know.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A, Extracurricular Activities: F
Coming from a Desigb background, a fine artsQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Coming from a Desigb background, a fine arts school was not the place for me ultimately. Besides this fact, I found the expenses much higher than initially calculated--If you aren't rolling in money, DO NOT GO HERE.

If you aren't a straight-up conceptual artist who prefers the thought behind the work more important than the actual outcome--DO NOT GO HERE.

All that aside, many of the professors are incrediblyvknowledgable, though many are stuck up in their own practices, especially the alum in the CP studies who teach here.

Though the school touts its resources, one doesn't get access to nearly all they proclaim, and for claiming "the best printing," the printing services are often easier to deal with off-campus.

The classes are very teacher-dependent--if you get a sub-par or not fitting to you instructor you'll be miserable through that class, I can garauntee.

Yes, there are scholarships, but dealing with the financial aid office is more often than not like talking to a brick wall, and depending on your academic advisor, that can be the same.

If you have the money to experiment, that is the only way you'll be able to get through--this school encourages grand works, conceptually and physically.

Each department is very much up in itself as far as students are concerned despite the displinary nature.Granted, this is from an undergrad point of coroes, with grads having it much better.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Compare SAIC/STAIO-ChicagoSave SAIC/STAIO-Chicago

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→