StudentsReview :: School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

I am writing this based on my experienceQuite BrightVideo/Media
I am writing this based on my experience at SAIC, to provide some young, aspiring artists some insights into the school that I didn't have before applying.

Let me make one thing clear: SAIC is a waste of time if you are interested in the commercial. If you want to get a job in the animation industry (working for major studios or even freelancing) go somewhere else. If you want to paint fantasy oil paintings or create a web comic, keep walking. This school is for the artist whose goal in life is... a little less clear (and whose parents have a lot of cash to throw at their child's post secondary education.)

SAIC is so focused on "the cutting edge" that the faculty and curriculum completely dismiss conventional practices. I came with the intention of learning 3D animation software programs to apply to a real-life job I plan on getting when I'm out of here. I have yet to be instructed on ANY software I have access to. Every technical skill I've learned has been on my own time. While conceptualization should be an important process in our art making, to continue pushing our personal boundaries, not everyone wants to be an abstract painter who also incorporates experimental sound, sculpture and light installations into all of their work in order to get a nod from faculty for being so "original." You can say that I'm just not looking at the curriculum with the right attitude, but the fact is this: I'm not really learning what I need to learn to have a career!

My 3D animation professor actually stated "I am anti-Pixar." So, if you also identify as anti commercial, anti establishment, anti anti anti anything, you just might fit right in. As for me, job outlook post graduation from this school is looking mighty bleak. Considering the hefty price tag ($100K) that comes along with my education from this establishment, not having a clear vision of job placement is unacceptable.

I plan on continuing my degree elsewhere, and I recommend anyone whose interest is even slightly commercial to consider doing the same. You know, unless you have $100,000 to spend just "testing college out," because some of the Freshmen here have claimed that they are doing just that.I would also highly recommend visiting the city for at least a week before you move here because it's definitely culture shock!

more→Jan 28 2015
Scholastic Success: A, Education Quality: F
If you want toAverageOther
If you want to apply here think about your personality and how you interact with people. Then think about how learn and create work because what you might think art school will be like could be entirely wrong when you attend SIAC.
more→Nov 16 2014
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A, Extracurricular Activities: D
In order to succeed at SAIC, you needBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
In order to succeed at SAIC, you need to have to ability to be self-motivated to do research and experiment in different mediums in order to further develop your practice. SAIC will challenge the way you view and think about art, allowing you to develop a conceptual understanding of the work you are making. If you are committed to research, putting in hard work to develop your practice, and enjoy participating in critique, your SAIC diploma will be worth it.The same can be said about student life. I was very involved on campus, and felt connected with the student body, faculty, staff and even the administration. Artists are inherently independent, and the school has actively begun working to meet the needs of the students through programming, events, and support. As with academics, you truly get what you choose to put into your SAIC experience.
more→Oct 21 2013