StudentsReview :: School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Im going into my second year at SAIC,

Aug 13 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Im going into my second year at SAIC, and I can't say that I am too impressed with much the school has to offer. I'm from a town that is home to a well known liberal arts college and I can say that that college does so much more, even being in a small town, then SAIC does for theirs. Everything is expensive and departments seem to not care about students. Socially, I would say it is very hard to relate and find friends. I guess this isn't to say that I havent had a couple great teachers, but I am definitely struggling with everything.

I would not spend your money to go here

Jun 22 2011Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I would not spend your money to go here....I did not feel well prepared at all when I left school. I feel I overpaid for the lack luster education I recieved. A lot of entitiled rich kids going to this school because they were too stupid to go anywhere else.

A lot of professors I had...had favourites...it was disgusting it was like being in highschool again. I had a "professor" who looked like a home economics teacher who was teaching design....really? She looked and taught like she worked part time at JoAnn Fabrics or Hobby Lobby....she also taught at another school down the street so there was no loyalty to SAIC....it was a paycheck to her. Also one of my professors got deported mid year....one minute he was there and the next gone....

I am making great money right now but my education at SAIC has certainly had nothing to do with it...I work in a corp. job in upper management-that I do not use my BFA for at all.

If I could go back I would have never wasted my money to go here....I think it is funny because the alumni association always sends me....please donate....blah...blah...when I think of my friends that I still keep in touch with and they are hardly making ends meet I think asking alumni for money when you have not prepared them for real life is ridiculous. Go to a better rated school

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

This school is a piece of trash

Sep 17 2011Other
This school is a piece of trash. Seriously.. I'm an international freshmen student here at SAIC and i've been here for two months and I hate it. I hate it so much! The faculty here dumb shits, they don't know anything. The korean woman in the international affairs is so disrespectful and also the academic advisors are fucking liars. The education here is also a piece of shit. It's not challenging at all. Professors get impressed with trash; work done with your feet. Its easy to bullshit, and since it is a credit or no credit based system, it is impossible to transfer to another school cause most of the other schools don't accept these grades or count them and C....and as an international student you don't want to waste a shit loads of money for no transfer credits!!

Also, students here are hard to understand and be friends with!!
there is no social life in chicago because
everything closes at 8pm! and classes end at 6pm! so basically you have no social life at all...SO if you want to have a social life, and be challenged academically and actually DO art instead of listening to 6 hour lectures and 1 hour of work then i suggest you go to another school...Art Center is recommendable, or Calarts..UCLA, Yale, RISD, MICA, Parsons, Pratt, SVA, CCA, Otis, SCAD..NO MASSART...massart is trash too!! (they talk shit about other schools to prosper students)

1st Year Female -- Class 2015