StudentsReview :: Trinity International University Illinois - Comments and Student Experiences

Colgate Rochester Divinity School-Bexley Hall-Crozer Theological Seminary -- Rochester, NY

Trinity International University Illinois

Well, where do I start

Aug 09 2012Other
Well, where do I start. The people, there are nice down to earth people and there are very conceded people. Typically more conceded people are in sports, BUT their are definitely exceptions to this rule. My first year, I heard rumors galore. Did it make me mad? Yes. It prevented creating relationships horribly and people overlooked me for events and stuff that I tried to get involved with. As far as people having relationships with Christ, I can't judge the strength, because the fact that I'm not them. But I will say their are 35 denomination represented at TIU. So it goes from the very conservative views to very liberal views. So the flavor of what faith looks like is all different. But Luckily the Gospel is what everyone has in common in their faiths. But there are also people that are atheists or agnostic that attend. There reasoning, no clue. But since there is this perception that everyone is a Christian, people assume bad behaviors is what is expected out of Christians, but it's false. So this campus is diverse, find the right friends and you'll be good in that department. Classwork is at a decent pace, it can be faster, but with certain classes you need it to be easy. Professor are friendly, there are exceptions, but mainly approachable. And social life is what you make it, it can be boring or it can be fun. There are boring times, it happens. But be proactive and not a hermit and you'll be good.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: F

I have been to

Feb 19 2012Unknown
I have been to many schools. This school is full of unfriendly people who seem snobby and hard to get to know. The campus is deserted. The people are cliquey. There are many ways to get involved however this does not make the people worth getting to know.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Extracurricular Activities: D+

As seems to be a common story among

Dec 18 2012Unknown
As seems to be a common story among other students, Trinity reached the last place on our potential college list. Somehow we ended up here, and I, personally, wouldn't regret my decision.

You'll hear a lot about this school. One side feels the school is confining, while the other feels it's becoming lenient. It all depends on your background. If you're used to living with a lot of freedom to make your own lifestyle choices, then no, you won't necessarily be happy here. If you've held to the belief that a certain lifestyle should always be upheld, then you'll accept the somewhat conservative lifestyle that Trinity wishes to maintain. The university desires to give a reputation that is above reproach from all perspectives, so it is inevitable that its expectations may seem strict.

Academically, I've had a good experience. Yes, there will be some classes that seem to drag on or have muddled homework assignments, but overall, I've learned a lot. For the most part, the professors are accessible and approachable. Also, there are some great staff members. Many of Trinity's employees are willing to get to know the students.

Socially, well, there could be improvement. A lot of students go home on the weekend, so feelings of community will lessen. If you want a fun event every night of the week, you won't be satisfied here. Basically, you can't rely on the school to provide activities for all of your free time. Those moments will be affected by the friends that you've made. If you have entertaining friends and good ideas, you'll have fun. Every school has students that act snobby, awkward, or intimidating, so I can't use these types of qualities to define TRINITY'S student body. I will say that even though this is a small college, there is a diverse group of people. You have to find the ones that match your lifestyle, interests, and personality.

Extracurricular activities, as mentioned before, are limited, but are not nonexistent. I've been to some pretty great events. They're generally coordinated by Trinity's student leadership groups. If you become involved in leadership, the school will attempt to invest a lot into your growth - spiritual and personal.

The college is distinctly religious. Chapel attendance is required, missions trips are supported, classes are expected to have a Christian worldview, etc. With that being said, the students are ultimately in charge of how much they wish to become spiritually engaged here. The college has tons of opportunities to so call, "grow in your faith," but it's really up to you to decide how much you want to become involved. Some students here are devout in their faith, while others, quite frankly, really don't care. The college administration doesn't come across as being complacent, but they can only do so much to affect the student body. Personally, I prefer my fellow students to be honest about where they are spiritually. If they don't want to join a Bible study, okay. It's not my place to judge. But those open about their faith need to stay away from double standards. It's a fine line and we all make mistakes, so overall, I think our school would do well to constantly extend grace.

To conclude, your experience at Trinity is what you make of it. Knowing the expectations of the school ahead of time will help you make your decision to attend or not. If you're uncomfortable or frustrated with them, just don't come. It's not the perfect fit for everyone.If you really want to succeed academically, you can probably do well here. Class sizes are small and faculty and staff are generally helpful. If you're concerned about your spiritual life, there are plenty of resources to support you. Trinity has a lot of good qualities, but you have to personally decide if the good qualities that it offers are the ones that are your priority.

Life requires effort, and Trinity is no different. Its expectations may require self-control, and you may need some creativity to have fun. To form good friendships, you'll have to keep an open mind. But honestly, I've been able to enjoy my time here, and I think that my experiences have been worthwhile and have taught me important life lessons.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014