StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

Social life: My social life was fine

Jun 14 2014Biology
Social life: My social life was fine. I was commuting but I did manage to make 2-3 close friends who I will probably keep in life.

Education:
-classes are all curved; impossible exams make this possible. Only 10% of the class will get an A (that's 10/100 students). 20% will get B's and the rest (majority) will get C's.-expect to compete against a lot of Asian pre-medical students, who will often go to great lengths to steal the A's awarded to the 10% of the class- that is cheating by obtaining and often stealing previous exams

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F

To be honest, it gets me mad when

May 22 2014Business - Management and Administration
To be honest, it gets me mad when I read all these reviews of people bashing on UIC or because they feel cheated out of a "real college experience". If you go to UIC, you decide what you want to get out of the next four years of your life. Sometimes I feel like this school has too many people that just apply here because it's cheap, they can commute so they can save on dorming, just want to come to class and study, or because they didn't get into another school. If you are one of those people, I'm telling you now just go to a community college. Because those people come in unprepared and then when they start struggling or just seem not to enjoy themselves, they blame the university as a whole. Sure, UIC has its' flaws such as at times unhelpful professors, being known as a "concrete" campus, confusing buildings, and small Greek life, but the positives override the negatives big time.

For those that say that UIC is an "ugly" campus and has terrible buildings, it sucks if they either graduated or are about to graduate because currently the school is renovating everything. For example, they are trying to make this campus look more green and appealing by adding The Grove which was completed and looks amazing and they also plan to put grass in the Quad because it is mainly concrete. Also they're going to demolish the ComEd station and turn that into a grass area. Many of the classroom buildings are eliminating the concrete and trying to look like Lincoln, Douglas, and Grant Hall. I got to agree the Science and Engineering Building is one of the worst buildings on campus overall but they are building a new building to cater to physics, chemistry, and biology thats gonna be done by next year. They are doing a whole bunch of stuff in the next four years so if you go here during that time you will have a greater campus experience. (Just look up UIC Master Plan 2010).

To those that say there is no social life on this campus either never tried getting involved, tried just talking to strangers, go home still hang out with the same people (what are you in high school still?) or just hang out solely with people they knew before coming to college. ITS FREAKING CHICAGO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Most people from other big schools in college towns always complain to me how after a while there is nothing to do because their schools are in the middle of nowhere. In my honest opinion, if you want to get the most out of your college experience, join an organization such as Greek life or any club that interests you. I would recommend joining Greek life because it offers you academics & social life all in one. Only thing I wish that the Greek Life would improve on would be having a Greek Row (fraternities have apartments and decent sized houses for parties that do the job) and having more bigger name sororities, of which they're are only 3. Other than that, Greek life here is no different.

UIC is a great school if you choose to make the most out of it and put into it what you want. Just like in any other university, you won't be able to go and have fun at parties or meet many people if you don't look for places to meet people or become good at balancing academics and social life. I could have chosen to go to any other schools, where I got accepted with scholarships to U of I, Mizzou, Marquette, SIU, NIU and had the grades and ACT to get in to other schools like Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan, and Florida State. I do not regret coming to UIC, and when I graduate, I never will. GO FLAMES!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: C

I have a mixed review about UIC, it

Jun 06 2014Biology
I have a mixed review about UIC, it was kind of what I expected to be but my review leans more towards being negative. Ill address everything one by one. If you don't feel like reading all this my last paragraph will summarize what I'm saying.

Atmosphere: You have to take a required freshman orientation so it gives you the chance to see the buildings and campus. People complain about the campus being a bit lifeless and depressing but I loved it. I love the city, there's endless places to eat and hang out. Lot's of tall spacious facilities and a huge campus. It's nice that UIC makes an attempt to make the campus more "green" because that's what makes it different from DePaul. Even though both schools are smack dab in the city, UIC has their own area of green that makes it stand out as an actual campus, something other city schools lack.

Dorms: Freshman dorms are gross with melting walls in the shower and are generally unkempt. Random smells come and go as you venture through all the floors. CTY, CMN, CMW, CMS are traditional style dorms with 2 beds and wood furnishings. (Try to request a corner room, those are the biggest) The dorms u get with seniority are better as they look more like apartments. The best dorms are JST (Keep in mind are a bit more expensive) and are extremely beautiful, with large windows facing the campus and city. They look like hotels and are difficult to get, as housing arrangements seem random so there's a fat chance of getting that dorm if you're an incoming freshman. The events held at dorms are like a scam don't trust them. I'm not one to participate because I don't want to, but if there's food offered then I would go. They offered pie as a celebration for thanksgiving, and you weren't able to eat it without first sitting through a presentation about calories and health. This happens alot btw so don't be fooled. I also expected college food to be a little better than high school but it's just as bad. All the nice pictures you see on UIC's dining website only shows JST's dining hall, which is significantly better than all of the other dining halls. Even there the food is still sub-par. The lunch ladies are rude and the only thing that's edible is the fries and salad. I wasted all of my money eating at greektown and chinatown, which are both luckily very close to the campus. A big heads up though is to show up for thanksgiving dinner which was amazing, the food was surprisingly delicious and cooked as if it was homemade, and i'm still wondering why the food isn't that good everyday? It should be for the price you're paying.

Social Life: UIC is a commuter school so it looks completely dead on weekends and it might seem hard to make friends. As I stated I don't participate much but there's were plenty of clubs, organizations, and events, it's just a matter of showing up. People on campus, to be honest, look dead most of the time as you walk to class. I made a few friends here and there no problem, no buddies that'll last me a lifetime but some nice people that I can text if I forget my homework. I was asked to sign up for a sorority but they never got back to me or my roommates, and since there's no Greek housing we weren't really sure where to go or who to ask. I'm not into sports but i heard school spirit is average, people mostly show up if there's free stuff involved. There is a party if you know the right people, and the school requires that you get a VENTRA card so you get unlimited transportation which comes in handy when you want to venture to a party or the city. My roommate and I had no problems getting along but my other cluster mates always caused girly drama that pissed me off. There would be a student that's in charge of the hallway their assigned, so if there's a problem you always had someone you can talk or tattle to. You get a mix of millions people at UIC, there's so many students walking outside to class. It's incredibly diverse as people from every country come to dorm, which made me feel comfortable. Drugs were more prevalent around me, majorly marijuana. Large loud parties get busted every time, so you can basically get away with anything as long as you aren't disturbing anyone.

Security: The on campus police SUCK!!!. They don't give a rats ass about the students, they sit on their ass in that office not doing anything. I got into a situation where a "modeling agency" was posting up posters, it ended up being a scam with a huge perv. Me and a group of girls fell into this situation, and this guy posed as a student and even came to my class! We were all followed by this man and when I reported this the cop that worked at UIC talked to me like I was stupid, brushed it off, and told me to get back to class. I felt REALLY unsafe from that point on and so did a lot of other girls. These posters were everywhere no matter how many times we took them down. When finally enough girls reported this situation, they figured out this guy has been arrested MANY times before. He was arrested and released again, which is disturbing. I got an apology from the police, but it wasn't professional the way I was treated. There should be more security when it comes to classrooms, like a swipe in feature or something because this is ridiculous. You don't have to be a student to attend class, you can show up and get lost in the class of 300 people and the teacher wouldn't know. Apart from my situation the campus is decent when it comes to safety. There's booth's with buttons that immediately contact the police for help. People get robbed constantly around the campus. It's kind of unsafe so just take precautions. Don't have you're phone out while walking and don't be out alone, especially at night. This campus tries their best to be safe and sometimes stuff just happens.

Academics: Do not go here if you plan to major in serious field, there is just WAY too much work. All of my friends had a hard time keeping up with schoolwork (Biology & Engineering). All of our schoolwork was assigned to us to be done on the computer, literally EVERYTHING. There was really no point in coming to class. if you are serious about your education then it's just not worth it to go here. You get mindless work that forces you to go tutoring just to get by. It felt like I was taking online courses to learn and I go to class just to say hi to my teacher and leave. I met some students with other majors that had a better learning experience because they didn't have to learn such harsh subjects. All of my roommates and across the hall mates all got dismissed from this school, without warning beforehand. Just a letter at Christmas time informing us to pack up our dorms. There was 3 days in which you can show up and appeal your case, which I did, and no joke there was a room full of people also being dismissed. Although I can't blame the school for failing, I just wish I had notice of me not doing well. Even my counselor before Christmas time let me know I was passing with no worries and she registered me for the next semester. I recieved no sympathy from anyone when I appealed my case, and it's true that in this case this school treats you like a number. I didn't expect my diploma to be handed to me at all, I do all my work. I took the exact same courses at my local community college as I did here and I passed them all. UIC made this very difficult, and it was only my freshman year.

All in all my experience at UIC was more negative with a few ups. The only good thing going for this school is the surrounding area. I loved spending time with new friends and having fun. I found lots of opportunities to work and get involved. If you love the city then you can take a visit along with a decent hotel, but don't go to UIC. I regret going here because it was a waste of time when it came to education I was provided for the measly semester I stayed for. If I wanted online coursework I could have just stayed home. This school is falling apart trying to keep up with the 30,000 students that go there. It's disorganized and they are the prime example of how a student gets treated like a number. I have heard that the only reason to go here is for Medical training because they are treated better than the rest of the school, and that's probably true because when you enter the medical building it's beautiful and well kept. A complete opposite from the rest of the school. The rest of you, go somewhere else this school isn't worth your time and every year the price tag gets more ridiculous. After dismissal I was given the bill for the housing (because if you are dismissed you have to pay for the term you're missing) and I'm unable to attend any other major university until I pay it off, same case with all my roommates. If you go here, I wish you best of luck.

Social Life: A+, Education Quality: F