StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois - Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois - Chicago

I am currently a freshman and deeply regretQuite BrightKinesiology
I am currently a freshman and deeply regret ever coming here. My sister went UIC and hated it, but I figured commuting wouldn't be too bad because then I would have extra time in my day. If I wasn't stuck in a horrible class, I was on a train getting to or getting away from them.

Okay, yes, I will admit it is very nice to have a campus in the middle of the city. It gives me something to do when I decided to just skip my horrible classes. My teachers, although very bright, did not know how to teach. It was hard to get extra help and when I did, it barely qualified for help.

School work is difficult. I think because most of the professors are aimed at research and such, not at educating the students. They don't really treat you like a student.

Social life sucks. I was on a dance team, which was fun. I met some great people, but other than those people, I didnt meet anybody else. It is extremely hard to make friends at this university.

If you are considering going here, find on campus housing (you may make a couple friends) , get a job (to kill time), and don't depend on professors or your advisors to help you out with anything.Needless to say, I am transferring out next year and I have only been here for one semester.

1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Education Quality: F
UIC is a place where people tend toBrightEnglish
UIC is a place where people tend to have very positive or very negative reactions. You make your experience. Because so many students commute, go to class, and then go home - it's CAN be a place where you don't feel connected. On the other hand, if you CHOOSE to get involved in something - really amazing opportunities can open up for you socially, academically, and professionally. The campus administration is great about responding to groups of students that organize together.
4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
LOCATIONQuite BrightUrban Planning
LOCATION
The best thing about UIC is its location; the campus is condensed and has great walkability. It is also about a ten minute El ride from State Street in the heart of downtown Chicago. The real-life experience UIC students obtain from living in a large city is far superior to the experience one would have on a typical, farm field type of university. This being said, there is a lot more to do at this school than just drink.

The campus aesthetics are not the best. The halls and buildings were built with a concept of "brutalist" architecture that looks, well, brutal. However, most of dorms and some of the halls are brand new and are very cool to look at.

SOCIAL ASPECTS
After reading some of the negative reviews posted on this website about UIC, one might feel that UIC's social life is inadequate or non-existent. This is not the case. The types of people that complain that they "had a hard time making friends" are most likely individuals that would have a difficult time adjusting to a collegiate social life anywhere in America. If you cannot keep yourself entertained in a city as large and great as Chicago, you may have some issues. Furthermore, UIC offers several sororities and fraternities to better promote student bonding.

SCHOOL SPIRIT
As a student-athlete, my one complaint about this school would be its lack of school spirit. Attendance at sporting events is somewhat lacking, despite the immaculately maintained facilities the UIC Athletic Department keeps. The UIC Pavilion is gorgeous and all games for all sports are free to watch for students with a valid id.

HOUSING
The newly constructed James Stukel Towers dormitory is THE place to live on campus. It is a beautiful place to live, and almost every room has a great view of the skyline. I highly recommend JST. JST is in high demand; if this housing option is not available, I also recommend living in Courtyard. It is the best place to live of the East Side of campus. It is clean, quiet, and you do not have to walk down the hall to use a community bathroom. The Polk Street Residence is also nice, but it is located on West Campus which is pretty far away from the majority of UIC's classrooms and amenities. I recommend taking a tour of campus housing, and signing up for campus housing as early as possible.

SIZE OF STUDENT BODY
UIC has a very large student body. The number of student in a class really depends on what course one is taking. I have had a lecture with close to 500 students, and I have had an Honors College course with 20 students. Professors do not typically know you on a first name basis. Professors will not hold your hands, and your success/failure as a college student depends solely on you. You have to take the initiative to study and plan your life.

QUALITY OF EDUCATION
I have enjoyed all my classes thus far. The professors are very intelligent and friendly. From time to time, there may be a professor or class you do not like, but that is bound to happen at every university. Professors make the course's objectives clear, and respond to emails or questions promptly. There is not a lot of busy work, and typically, the bulk of your grade depends on exams and essays.

OVERALL I am happy with my decision to attend UIC. The tuition is affordable, and the location is second to none. UIC is definitely worth your time and consideration. Almost everyone I know at this school rates it favorably.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013