StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

I'm currently attending uic

Oct 28 2014Nursing
I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not willing to face that do not come here. Medical district is 1.2 miles away, and literally all my friends talk about med med med. and this school have no social life. It doesn't have a good community since lot of people are commuters. So. If you just come here to study and want toget into medical programs. Your life is all about focus on your school. I'm transfering to uiuc. I know that I will have to face difficult courses just like any universities. But if you want a higher quality education go somewhere else. People say reputation doesn't matter in America... I know that reputation is huge in my home country but reputation truly tells you why that school derserves better then others. So many times I felt I deserve more then this... When I see others who doesn't give shit about school and spending their college just to get by.. Sometimes I wonder why i am here.. Well. I'm moving out.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Education Quality: F

Social life: My social life was fine

Jun 14 2014Biology
Social life: My social life was fine. I was commuting but I did manage to make 2-3 close friends who I will probably keep in life.

Education:
-classes are all curved; impossible exams make this possible. Only 10% of the class will get an A (that's 10/100 students). 20% will get B's and the rest (majority) will get C's.-expect to compete against a lot of Asian pre-medical students, who will often go to great lengths to steal the A's awarded to the 10% of the class- that is cheating by obtaining and often stealing previous exams

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F

There are great professors here, but they are

Jul 28 2014Chemical Engineering
There are great professors here, but they are very few. The majority are unhelpful, arrogant, one-minded, and take a single approach to teaching the material. If you are more receptive to a different style of teaching then you are on your own (unless you have access to one of the rare, aforementioned great professors). Strong feeling that professors and the department do not care at all about its students or its duty to teach while conducting research. Instead, teaching seems like an annoyance to most of the faculty from a variety of departments.The university's administration is largely incompetent and unprofessional. Expect unanswered emails and voicemails, and absent personnel when attempting in-person help. Again, when you find the rare professional employee who is enthusiastic to help you they always go above and beyond, but this is not the standard. The focus of the administration strongly feels like it is on their image and how they want the public to view the school and the students, when in practice they do not seem to care about students at all except to the extent that they can be used for the school's PR. I sincerely recommend an alternative school even if it costs a bit more, if you can work out the financials.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015