StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

The graphic design program is very new toBrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
The graphic design program is very new to UIC and quite frankly it should have been kept in the oven a little longer. The Art, Architecture, and Design building was supposed to be completely done with renovations before the first design students came in, but that simply was not the case. Often times you will hear construction through the thin walls while in Class. The building has misleading winding stair areas (some leading to nowhere.) I was hoping we would have computer labs seeing as how it is a computer oriented major but instead we have to bring our laptops in every day and hope there is a power chord available. With the amount we spend on our lab fees, we should have free printing instead of off brand moleskine notebooks. We see the same exact teachers every semester and if you really don't like one, oh fucking well. Registering for classes is a nightmare for this major, we cannot choose which instructor we prefer nor can we choose proper class times to work with our work schedule ( I personally want more 9am classes so I can work in the same day to help pay for school.) the lack of lockers In this building is very upsetting to those who commute to school. Often times you will be expected to come into class when most of the work you could have done sitting at home on the computer. I hate this school, I really fucking do. This program needs to be updated yesterday. You would think graphic design would be a more updated major but alas it's ran by people stuck in the dada movement who are obsessed with Paul rand and Saul bass.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Innovation: C, Useful Schoolwork: F
I'm currently attending uic.AverageNursing
I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not willing to face that do not come here. Medical district is 1.2 miles away, and literally all my friends talk about med med med. and this school have no social life. It doesn't have a good community since lot of people are commuters. So. If you just come here to study and want toget into medical programs. Your life is all about focus on your school. I'm transfering to uiuc. I know that I will have to face difficult courses just like any universities. But if you want a higher quality education go somewhere else. People say reputation doesn't matter in America... I know that reputation is huge in my home country but reputation truly tells you why that school derserves better then others. So many times I felt I deserve more then this... When I see others who doesn't give shit about school and spending their college just to get by.. Sometimes I wonder why i am here.. Well. I'm moving out.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Education Quality: F
There are great professors here, but they areQuite BrightChemical Engineering
There are great professors here, but they are very few. The majority are unhelpful, arrogant, one-minded, and take a single approach to teaching the material. If you are more receptive to a different style of teaching then you are on your own (unless you have access to one of the rare, aforementioned great professors). Strong feeling that professors and the department do not care at all about its students or its duty to teach while conducting research. Instead, teaching seems like an annoyance to most of the faculty from a variety of departments.The university's administration is largely incompetent and unprofessional. Expect unanswered emails and voicemails, and absent personnel when attempting in-person help. Again, when you find the rare professional employee who is enthusiastic to help you they always go above and beyond, but this is not the standard. The focus of the administration strongly feels like it is on their image and how they want the public to view the school and the students, when in practice they do not seem to care about students at all except to the extent that they can be used for the school's PR. I sincerely recommend an alternative school even if it costs a bit more, if you can work out the financials.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015