StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

I am going to right now at Mather

Jan 02 2014Mechanical Engineering
I am going to right now at Mather High School for the senior year. So I am prod to say that I am Mather High School student. My experience is so good at that school. Every teacher take care of student life. My own experience is good with every teacher, and teacher give me suggestion for the study. I want to become a Mechanical Engineer so I want to graduate at University of Illinois at Chicago, because UIC is so good for the science student so that is why i want to join at UIC.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+,

Let me start out by stating, looks truly

Nov 30 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Let me start out by stating, looks truly are not everything. Yes, UIC does not look like UIUC or NIU or Harvard for that matter, UIC looks like UIC. It has its own quirky qualities that I thought were pretty charming, majority of the buildings serve as a sort of homage to the brutalist era of architecture of which it was built in. I respect history and enjoy that it is not washed over with idealized, prim "college" architecture and manicured lawns. But hey, to each his own.

My time as an undergraduate in the college of Art has been amazing, but I will say, regardless of what college/field you're in at UIC, you will get out of this university what you put into it. Honestly, that's the protocol of any investment I believe. I know studying art would be ridiculously non pragmatic, financially, given the condition of this slow moving economy, but I knew practicing art was what I wanted to do, there was no other option. Coming to UIC allowed me to build the framework of my practice in a way no other University in Chicago (or Illinois) would have allowed me to. From the 24hr facilities, being in Chicago where contemporary art is on the rise, super supportive and in-the-field faculty, vast research resources, decent class sizes (usually no more than 20), affordability, I could go on. I am truly grateful for the education I received here, and the number of opportunities that education has since led me to. Being a UIC alumni holds some weight in the US market, and I always feel so bummed when I hear or see fellow alumni bashing a great university because a buildings wall had a crack. If you think that college is supposed to look a certain way, or somehow entitles you to a predefined experience, I believe you're approaching it from the wrong (and non existing) angle. Surely, UIC is not for you if you're basing your decision off of the aesthetics of campuses. However, if you want to take advantage of an outstanding education without breaking the bank, and can deal with a cracked wall or two, apply to UIC! There aren't too many trust fund babies around these parts.

4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D

To be honest, it gets me mad when

May 22 2014Business - Management and Administration
To be honest, it gets me mad when I read all these reviews of people bashing on UIC or because they feel cheated out of a "real college experience". If you go to UIC, you decide what you want to get out of the next four years of your life. Sometimes I feel like this school has too many people that just apply here because it's cheap, they can commute so they can save on dorming, just want to come to class and study, or because they didn't get into another school. If you are one of those people, I'm telling you now just go to a community college. Because those people come in unprepared and then when they start struggling or just seem not to enjoy themselves, they blame the university as a whole. Sure, UIC has its' flaws such as at times unhelpful professors, being known as a "concrete" campus, confusing buildings, and small Greek life, but the positives override the negatives big time.

For those that say that UIC is an "ugly" campus and has terrible buildings, it sucks if they either graduated or are about to graduate because currently the school is renovating everything. For example, they are trying to make this campus look more green and appealing by adding The Grove which was completed and looks amazing and they also plan to put grass in the Quad because it is mainly concrete. Also they're going to demolish the ComEd station and turn that into a grass area. Many of the classroom buildings are eliminating the concrete and trying to look like Lincoln, Douglas, and Grant Hall. I got to agree the Science and Engineering Building is one of the worst buildings on campus overall but they are building a new building to cater to physics, chemistry, and biology thats gonna be done by next year. They are doing a whole bunch of stuff in the next four years so if you go here during that time you will have a greater campus experience. (Just look up UIC Master Plan 2010).

To those that say there is no social life on this campus either never tried getting involved, tried just talking to strangers, go home still hang out with the same people (what are you in high school still?) or just hang out solely with people they knew before coming to college. ITS FREAKING CHICAGO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Most people from other big schools in college towns always complain to me how after a while there is nothing to do because their schools are in the middle of nowhere. In my honest opinion, if you want to get the most out of your college experience, join an organization such as Greek life or any club that interests you. I would recommend joining Greek life because it offers you academics & social life all in one. Only thing I wish that the Greek Life would improve on would be having a Greek Row (fraternities have apartments and decent sized houses for parties that do the job) and having more bigger name sororities, of which they're are only 3. Other than that, Greek life here is no different.

UIC is a great school if you choose to make the most out of it and put into it what you want. Just like in any other university, you won't be able to go and have fun at parties or meet many people if you don't look for places to meet people or become good at balancing academics and social life. I could have chosen to go to any other schools, where I got accepted with scholarships to U of I, Mizzou, Marquette, SIU, NIU and had the grades and ACT to get in to other schools like Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan, and Florida State. I do not regret coming to UIC, and when I graduate, I never will. GO FLAMES!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017