StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois - Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois - Chicago

College is really what you make of it.AverageBiology
College is really what you make of it. I'm a first year student here at UIC and my experience has been mostly positive. I didn't apply myself as much as I would have liked to this first year, and even ended up dropping classes (which is okay) but it was completely avoidable if I had just attempted to study. You could say I became careless and too involved with the fun parts of college such as making friends and being involved in other UIC events. The quality of the education you will receive greatly depends on your teachers, but I have not had a teacher who was overly lacking. If you put in honest effort and try to gain something from your time at UIC you will be sure to reap its benefits.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Social Life: A+, Scholastic Success: C+
Super BrilliantFinance
You have to be brilliant to be a UIC student its hard competing against these Asians they are just geniuses.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Innovation: F
To be honest, it gets me mad whenQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
To be honest, it gets me mad when I read all these reviews of people bashing on UIC or because they feel cheated out of a "real college experience". If you go to UIC, you decide what you want to get out of the next four years of your life. Sometimes I feel like this school has too many people that just apply here because it's cheap, they can commute so they can save on dorming, just want to come to class and study, or because they didn't get into another school. If you are one of those people, I'm telling you now just go to a community college. Because those people come in unprepared and then when they start struggling or just seem not to enjoy themselves, they blame the university as a whole. Sure, UIC has its' flaws such as at times unhelpful professors, being known as a "concrete" campus, confusing buildings, and small Greek life, but the positives override the negatives big time.

For those that say that UIC is an "ugly" campus and has terrible buildings, it sucks if they either graduated or are about to graduate because currently the school is renovating everything. For example, they are trying to make this campus look more green and appealing by adding The Grove which was completed and looks amazing and they also plan to put grass in the Quad because it is mainly concrete. Also they're going to demolish the ComEd station and turn that into a grass area. Many of the classroom buildings are eliminating the concrete and trying to look like Lincoln, Douglas, and Grant Hall. I got to agree the Science and Engineering Building is one of the worst buildings on campus overall but they are building a new building to cater to physics, chemistry, and biology thats gonna be done by next year. They are doing a whole bunch of stuff in the next four years so if you go here during that time you will have a greater campus experience. (Just look up UIC Master Plan 2010).

To those that say there is no social life on this campus either never tried getting involved, tried just talking to strangers, go home still hang out with the same people (what are you in high school still?) or just hang out solely with people they knew before coming to college. ITS FREAKING CHICAGO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Most people from other big schools in college towns always complain to me how after a while there is nothing to do because their schools are in the middle of nowhere. In my honest opinion, if you want to get the most out of your college experience, join an organization such as Greek life or any club that interests you. I would recommend joining Greek life because it offers you academics & social life all in one. Only thing I wish that the Greek Life would improve on would be having a Greek Row (fraternities have apartments and decent sized houses for parties that do the job) and having more bigger name sororities, of which they're are only 3. Other than that, Greek life here is no different.

UIC is a great school if you choose to make the most out of it and put into it what you want. Just like in any other university, you won't be able to go and have fun at parties or meet many people if you don't look for places to meet people or become good at balancing academics and social life. I could have chosen to go to any other schools, where I got accepted with scholarships to U of I, Mizzou, Marquette, SIU, NIU and had the grades and ACT to get in to other schools like Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan, and Florida State. I do not regret coming to UIC, and when I graduate, I never will. GO FLAMES!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: C
Compare UIC/UIllinois-ChicagoSave UIC/UIllinois-Chicago

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→