StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

I am going to right now at Mather

Jan 02 2014Mechanical Engineering
I am going to right now at Mather High School for the senior year. So I am prod to say that I am Mather High School student. My experience is so good at that school. Every teacher take care of student life. My own experience is good with every teacher, and teacher give me suggestion for the study. I want to become a Mechanical Engineer so I want to graduate at University of Illinois at Chicago, because UIC is so good for the science student so that is why i want to join at UIC.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+,

Let me start out by stating, looks truly

Nov 30 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Let me start out by stating, looks truly are not everything. Yes, UIC does not look like UIUC or NIU or Harvard for that matter, UIC looks like UIC. It has its own quirky qualities that I thought were pretty charming, majority of the buildings serve as a sort of homage to the brutalist era of architecture of which it was built in. I respect history and enjoy that it is not washed over with idealized, prim "college" architecture and manicured lawns. But hey, to each his own.

My time as an undergraduate in the college of Art has been amazing, but I will say, regardless of what college/field you're in at UIC, you will get out of this university what you put into it. Honestly, that's the protocol of any investment I believe. I know studying art would be ridiculously non pragmatic, financially, given the condition of this slow moving economy, but I knew practicing art was what I wanted to do, there was no other option. Coming to UIC allowed me to build the framework of my practice in a way no other University in Chicago (or Illinois) would have allowed me to. From the 24hr facilities, being in Chicago where contemporary art is on the rise, super supportive and in-the-field faculty, vast research resources, decent class sizes (usually no more than 20), affordability, I could go on. I am truly grateful for the education I received here, and the number of opportunities that education has since led me to. Being a UIC alumni holds some weight in the US market, and I always feel so bummed when I hear or see fellow alumni bashing a great university because a buildings wall had a crack. If you think that college is supposed to look a certain way, or somehow entitles you to a predefined experience, I believe you're approaching it from the wrong (and non existing) angle. Surely, UIC is not for you if you're basing your decision off of the aesthetics of campuses. However, if you want to take advantage of an outstanding education without breaking the bank, and can deal with a cracked wall or two, apply to UIC! There aren't too many trust fund babies around these parts.

4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D

The affordability is a

Jul 18 2013Political Science
The affordability is a great plus. You get a state of the art education for a low price. Not to mention you are in Chicago with plenty of opportunity for internships and jobs.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015