StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Chicago - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Chicago

Total Grad Surveys 12
Females 6
Males 6
Avg years at University 3.7
Research Quality B (7.2)
Research Availability B (7.1)
Research Funding B- (6.0)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.7)
Errand Runners B (6.8)
Degree Completion C+ (5.7)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (5.9)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.1)
Competitiveness B (6.6)
Education Quality B- (5.8)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.5)
Useful Research B- (6.5)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.0)
Friendliness B- (6.5)
Safety C+ (5.3)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.3)
Campus Maintenance C (5.0)
University Resource/spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B- (6.1)
Success-Understanding B (7.2)
Surrounding City A (9.5)
Social Life/Environment B+ (7.3)
Campus MaintenanceC
Surrounding CityA
Apr 22 2012Urban Planning

This is the worst school and program ever. No support for students, favoritism abounds....

I graduated from UIC in 1998

Apr 11 2010Art & Design Department
I graduated from UIC in 1998. I HAD A BLAST! Originally I thought I would be a psychologist but discovered I didn't want to listen to other peoples problems. I also went into the Arts program because I knew I loved Art. I minored in theater. If you want social time then UIC may not be the school for you but I argue any experience is what you make of it. There was a Christian group on camput when I was there who was always doing volunteer work and singing and having fun I hung out with them for a while and made some friends. Also I got a job on campus working in Events Production. I got to participate in all the campus events. We used to have yearly talent shows, and comedy jams as well as special programs in the Inner Circle. I guess what is going on, on campus now is a relfection of the planning of the Events Production department. When I was there it was awesome.

Professors/ Faculty: While I was there I only had one bad experience with a professor. I think that is pretty darn good. The professor was computer aided drafting teacher who refused to allow me access to the computer lab via allowing me to use a key. I was a struggling student who did not own their own computer back then and I really need more work on the software he told me unless I was good enough to be an aid to others then I couldn't use a key and I obviously wasn't good enough. I went through alot with I believe his name was Drew but it taught me (I am now a teacher myself) about the type of teacher I don't want to be. That is what I recommend for all those who have bad experiences learn from it and move on.

A lot of postings I read are from freshman who have to adjust their expectations from the ideal of college. Sometimes its a hard transition, you have to have study skills and knowledge of how to take notes in large universities. I don't think it is that professors don't care so much as it is that it is way too many students for the professors to be able to take that type of one on one interest. Sometimes if you're struggling you have to make your presence felt. Let the professors know you need help, sometimes you have to seek other sources, classmates, form a study group. College is what you make of it. I made lifelong friends.

I never had a view of the school as ugly, its urban. The Art building is VERY ARTISTIC, I loved it because as part of my art project I could paint the halls in the hallway black and no one blinked an eye. What a great school. Very liberating in an art department. Yeah there is a lot of cement but even when I was there the renovation project was underway. If you are truly there for a learning experience UIC is a great choice.A UIC diploma definitely holds weight.

at the end of my MBA studies I

Sep 22 2009Business - Management and Administration
at the end of my MBA studies I was stripped off of my 2 credit hours because every piece of information that I had pointed out that I've taken 4 credit hour class but academic advisor kept saying that she cannot give me all 4 credits but just 2 beacuse by the information she had the course was a 2 hour course. She did not want to change it and did not want to give me the name of anybody else I could talk to. And I was paying her sallary. Very, very arrogant attitude towards the students. For other schools I don't know but UIC administrative staff is the worst I've erver seen in my life.

Great school

May 11 2009Architecture
Great school. I loved my years at UIC. I got a great education, and my professors helped me get an internship. I'm just out of school and employed with that company. No regrets here.

UIC is full of opportunity for those who

Aug 13 2007Accounting
UIC is full of opportunity for those who look for it. I am getting my masters in accounting after getting a BS and BA in BioS and Phil there. Through working as an undergraduate student employmee I eventually got an assistantship that is paying for my MS. I have bounced around, working in a couple of different departments as a GA, but now I work in the technology management department there doing work I really love. I get to do intellectual property work for scientists who have invented something and want it patented. Its pretty interesting work and I probably wouldnt have gotten a chance to work in that field if I had gone to another school. Alot of people talk badly about UIC, but I have had a really great experience there. The classes are rigorous, but you will be better for it. Dont expect to come to UIC and breeze through. Keep your eyes open and ear to the ground and you'll go far here.

If only another local

Oct 14 2004Urban Planning
If only another local school had a graduate program in Urban Planning, I'd be there. Professors were good (not great), red tape of the university and campus make you feel like a number.