StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois Urbana Champaign - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL
Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

I had a pretty negative experience at this

Jan 23 2015Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I had a pretty negative experience at this university. Things went well for the first year or two. During those years I dealt with the typical adjustment issues coming from high school work to more challenging college level course work. There are resources available for students to get help outside of the classroom, so I utilized those and was able to maintain fairly decent grades. During the last two years things changed. I began dealing with some personal and family issues, and this is when I began to see the other face of the university faculty and staff. When I struggled in class professors were unavailable or disinterested and cold when they were available. There's an overwhelming attitude of superiority floating around this campus and professors seem to be more interested in their research than with how students are doing in their course. What I realized is that this school only caters to traditional students. If things are going well for you, you will see a positive side of the university. The moment you experience any change or adversity you will see the hoops you have to jump through to get back on a level playing field with the other students. The MCB exams are riddled with trick questions and these classes have definitely earned their infamous title of being "weed-out" classes. Every science class that I took required a ridiculous grading curve because most students in the course would fail every exam. Overall, I don't feel that this university cares about it's students. You are welcome as long as much isn't required of the faculty and staff, but when you need them for the assistance that they are being paid to give you get nothing but shrugs and eye rolls. The people who work in the career center for pre-health majors are incredibly arrogant and not helpful. I was constantly being treated as if I should feel lucky to be there when really it was them who should be showing gratitude toward the students that the school is open and running for through a positive attitude when asked for help. It sucks to feel like tens of thousands of dollars have been wasted when I could have attended more prestigious and more nurturing schools. THIS UNIVERSITY IS NOT STUDENT FOCUSED.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F

When I came to UIUC, it was almost

Jan 19 2015Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
When I came to UIUC, it was almost like choosing my 2nd choice school. My dream school was UChicago, and I just felt in my heart that I needed to go there.

Unfortunately, I got waitlisted. Until finally getting rejected.
So I came to UIUC into our business program. I thought I was a student who worked "too hard" to go to UIUC and not UChicago, but when I met some of the people here, I was completely wrong.

We have plenty of students who get accepted into NU/UChicago/Ivies, but decide not go due to monetary issues. (So what about the other side of the coin? Well of course, I feel like UIUC has a small pool of people who got rejected from their dream school too) But what you suddenly realize when you go here, is that kids at UIUC are pretty damn smart. (At least the ones that go to class and want to do well). Most have an ACT 30+, graduated in the top 10% of their class, so imagine if your classroom is just filled with students like that.

It's a humbling experience if you ask me. UIUC is filled with such diversity, and the kids all deserve to be here. You meet valedictorians, and other students that barely get in here, but just realize that it's what you make of it.

UIUC gives you every chance to be the best student in the country. You just have to go and take it.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: C+

If you plan on being a working student

Dec 05 2014Animal Studies
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you plan on being a working student...forget about a social life. Also, plan on making your own safety with your car. For a whole semester the parking lot I used on campus had lights out on four surrounding street lamps. they were the in the most used area and because of that my car got broken into only to have the parking permit ($660) stolen. the police did nothing, and they didn't even increase patrol in that area...not like there was one before it happened. this school doesn't care about real working students. when using the temp housing over breaks, i had to walk an hour one way in the middle of the night or winter to get to my car because they didn't provide a temp housing parking permit.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016