StudentsReview ™ :: Wheaton College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College

Please take my advice and do not attend

Mar 04 2011Economics
Please take my advice and do not attend Wheaton College (IL). Unless you are a sheltered Christian without a grasp on reality you will experience the worst 4 years of your life. The administration here is completely legalistic, counter to what a Christian school should be. Wheaton prides itself with weeding out problem students at all means necessary. Rewarding students to rat each other out. While on the surface the school may seem a perfect Christian environment, in reality it is the most flawed Christian community I have ever been around. I core to Christianity is grace and love, either of which Wheaton maintains not only in the student body but deeper in the administration. Your growth with Christ will be ten folds greater in a secular school then at Wheaton. The student body is full of pretentious Christians that live two faced lives. Students that are open and have normal Christian walk struggles are not embraced with love but pushed aside and labeled. This school has personally destroyed my faith and countless others. A lot of work has to be done to Wheaton (Starting from the core aka administration) before this school comes anywhere close to a Christian college that fosters growth. Please don't go to Wheaton, unless your sheltered, naive, and arrogant about your faith.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

As a junior art major (I entered Wheaton as a Lit major), I

Apr 19 2009Art & Design Department
As a junior art major (I entered Wheaton as a Lit major), I was continually frustrated by the art department. Sure, the brand-new renovation of Adams hall meant a few more resources and better-looking facilities for campus tours, but there are several things that are lacking in Wheaton's art department: open-mindedness, divergent thinking, and respect for the arts by Wheaton college as a whole.

I transferred out to a top-notch art school at the end of my junior year as a result of feeling trapped here, with little encouragement to do my OWN work (you get demerits in painting and drawing classes for having your own style or experimenting). Teachers here will critique harshly, after offering little support for improvement or growth.

In my application process to transfer out, several teachers discouraged me from applying to the most prestigious art schools in favor of mediocre ones, and have done the same to every art student intending on transferring out (there is a group of art students leaving next year-at least 5). Teachers have even told me that I would regret my decision and probably want to come back. Not true. As an artist, I have never felt so confined and uninspired as I have at Wheaton. I am currently flourishing at a school that is arts-intensive, takes its students and their work seriously, and encourages experimentation and new techniques. I have few qualms with most other departments, and enjoyed my classes in Sociology and English. The Urban Studies program is strongly recommended, with some of the best professors and people I've ever worked with. It is wonderful that Chicago is but an hour away- this was definitely the reason I was able to remain at Wheaton so long.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: D

People can be close-minded

Mar 25 2009Psychology
People can be close-minded. Very clique-ish. It seems like the level of 'piety' puts you in different social groups. There are the kids that are going into ministry, then the kids who are not. Most conversation revolve around God. Which is good, except that a spiritual high can quickly turn into a spiritual OD. Its hard your freshman year unless you are an athlete or in the conserve.

Academically, the school is very good. They teach you to think critically. But the social scene is so awkward and non-existent, you wont enjoy your time here enough to keep in your program. It seems like people study here and as a hobby, they study more. In the winter, be prepared to watch movie after movie, because there is nothing else to do and no car. The weather is horrible, which limits choices even more in the winter to spring.

There are some really sweet people. But I found it near impossible to break into a social group. That said, there are people who really enjoy it and find their niche quickly. You need to make sure the school fits you individiually, because Wheaton is one of those places that if it doesnt-- you will be trapt and miserable.

It has been probably the most damaging thing to my faith as well. Its really hard to be ignored by people who claim to have the love of Christ. To feel really hurt and yet have chapel messages (3 times a week) telling you to give more of yourself to God. I went to the counseling center, desperate, and they were no hope.I tried really hard at this college. But in the end, I refused to stay at a place like this and I dont regret the decision at all. MAKE SURE THE COLLEGE FITS YOU INDIVIDUALLY, DO NOT JUST GO TO WHEATON BECAUSE IT IS A CHRISTIAN COLLEGE WITH A BIG NAME. When I was leaving, all the stories came out about the students who have withdrawn/transferred. It isnt uncommon to leave. I know that is true of all colleges, but Wheaton sometimes seems to promise something it doesnt deliver.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012