StudentsReview ™ :: Western Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

Western Illinois University

I started as a math education major but

Mar 14 2014Math
I started as a math education major but will be changing to elementary education. The math education department faculty are horrible. They are self absorbed and lazy and could care less about the students. I have come to believe the math department in general is 'faculty driven' rather than 'student driven.' WIU is concerned with low enrollment in math majors and this is why. If they stopped emphasizing the faculty's needs and concentrated on student needs it would be better. Math education faculty are the worst. I know I will do better in the education dept. than the college of arts and sciences.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: B+, Education Quality: D-

I wouldn't attend WIU again, unless there was

Mar 16 2013Education
I wouldn't attend WIU again, unless there was no other choice available. The academics are shoddy and you get the degree by paying your tuition and simply showing up. They continue to lower the entrances standards in order to "diversify" and get state and government funds. If you are anything above a C student, or have hopes of pushing yourself, WIU should be scratched off your list. If you are low/no income and simply want a cheap and easy degree, this is the place to do it. No one fails if you continue to pay. The board of trustees degree is popular among those who can't make the grade for a standard degree. There used to be pride in being a WIU alumn, but not since they dropped the entrance qualifications. Instructor quality is diminishing because of this also, with "diverse" discount professors, often complained about for being unable to speak clear English, others who have trouble attending their own classes and others who simply stamp on a grade if the paper meets the page requirements, without more than a skim through, at most.
Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C-

I am a student at the Quad City

Feb 14 2013Other
I am a student at the Quad City (Moline, IL) campus of WIU. All students looking to attend this campus beware - you will be considered and treated like a secondary citizen once you become a student. The QC campus is the bastard child of the Macomb campus and although our facility is nice and new it is very obvious. In addition to being treated as second rate to the Macomb campus, QC campus students get the honor of being treated as second rate to EVERYONE ELSE within the community. The priority on this campus and the agenda of the administration is not to foster a good learning environment for students, but to look good within the community. In fact, I was told that tax payers, community members, and scholarship donors get special treatment over students and must be allowed to do and use the campus as they please because otherwise the school will look bad and they don?t need negative press when they are trying to grow and become a full service campus. Guess what, I am a non-traditional student who lives in the community, works full time and pays taxes, and donates to the college but because I am a student different rules apply.

I am set to receive my undergrad this spring?I am applying to local masters programs but WIU will NOT be on my application list!!! Current students do not get the courtesy of a response from the graduate counselor. Students who pay to park are just getting ripped off ? here is how: 1. Pay Tuition, 2. Pay for Parking, 3. Pay Taxes, 4. Pay for Books and Materials ? parking on campus is supposed be by permit only, the ADMINISTRATION makes exceptions for ANYONE who is not a student which means although you (student) pay much more money to be there your money means less to them because they need to save face with EVERYONE else ? they already have you and your money no need to make an effort to ensure you are treated fairly or consistently. Don?t complain (even if you have viable solutions to present) because then you are just (and I quote) ?another irate, irrational student? who will get hung up on or told that you don?t get an opinion because ?I am the vice president?. Are you kidding me?!?! This is the worst experience of my life! I honestly wish I would have never enrolled!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013