StudentsReview :: Ball State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ball State University

I did the speech-pathology program, just undergrad.Not so brightOther
I did the speech-pathology program, just undergrad. It's a decent program, as well as some others. Some of their programs are a joke however, like many of the art-related ones.

The university itself is built on a pretty student-friendly system. For instance, student fees at the beginning of the semester mean free access to the fitness center, student health, lots of printing at the library, shows in the auditorium, along with some other perks, throughout the semester. Also, great accessibility-the library is literally open 20 hours a day. I personally had a very difficult time making friends simply because I was not interested in finding any excuse (ie-a tough test, Rush week, MLKJ Day) to get drunk. I honestly cannot count the number of times I saw multiple people hung-over and/or still drunk in class. It's definitely a place to go if you want to see spoiled kids go to college and not care about their opportunities. Tuition's cheap though! State funding covered my tuition, fees, and books, and I still had money left over.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
University Resource Use/ spending: A+, Social Life: F
There are two broad and important aspects toBrightPsychology
There are two broad and important aspects to this school : 1) Location (city) 2)Academics
1) Muncie is not a city, it is a town. I have lived in Muncie on and off for many years and i never liked it. In general, it is a bit on the hillbilly/redneck side. It still baffles me as to why the students are awkward, rude, and always afraid of something ! In my opinion, it is really hard to make decent friends. You will find drinking buddies in no time, but real genuine friends are almost impossible to find. If you have ever stepped foot outside of this country town into a real city, you probably will not be fond of this place. ADVICE: VISIT BSU AND MUNCIE BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO GOING HERE !!2) As for the academics, in general it is average-good. I have had classes in many departments and got a little taste of what they are like. There are some departments that are a bit sketchy (ask someone who is in the department you are interested in). As a psychology major i have met some good professors, and some really good ones. It is a solid department.If you like Muncie and the people in it, you will really like BSU.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: F
I actually don't go to BSU, but IQuite BrightChemistry
I actually don't go to BSU, but I went to the boarding school (indiana academy) on campus, so I know all about it.

The best thing is probably the diversity. There are people of all kinds, and while there are a lot of preps, there are a lot of cool people also. It was a wide varity of people, like goths, hipsters, preps, nerds, and anything else you could think of.

Muncie itself sucks, yes, but you have to make something of it. If you're a cool person who likes indie music concerts at a record store, fountain diving, or hanging out by the river and roasting marshmellows over a burning stick, there's plenty of opportunities for that and plenty of people to do it with.

There are A LOT of parties and drunk kids, and not everyone is serious about education. it's probably the number 1 party school in Indiana, but not everyone is like that. you have to find the right people, and that's easier to do than you'd think. Where I am now, you can't find anyone cool. But at Ball State, everyone is aproachable and it's easy to find the kind of friends you usually have. Some times things get clicky, but if you knock they'll let you in.

I hear the chemistry program is really great, and I know that as far as education and arcitexture go, you're golden. I always felt free to be myself on campus, and never felt excluded from anything because the way I looked, or even the fact I was a highschool student living on campus!

It's not very safe, but if you're not stupid (like walking home from a party drunk at 2am) you'll probably be fine. I also never saw any segregation and everyone seemed to be pretty excepting of others, not at all like the "redneck midwest" some people describe.

Ball State can be awesome if you let it. you may have to make your own fun, but it's not a problem. academics and too much partying are the only places it really goes wrong.Needles to say, I'm transfering when I get done with my freshmen year where I am now.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014