StudentsReview :: Ball State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ball State University

Ball State is a pretty good school overallOther
Ball State is a pretty good school overall with the education I received. People are genuinely friendly. Their facilities are pretty substantial compared to other universities visited. Though, not every department has what you may need, so you might find yourself visiting another departments facility if needed. If you are looking for a smaller school, compared to IU or PU, then go here. BSU is a good-size campus and very close to anything you may need. Faculty are pretty helpful, but are not very personable with students. To me it seemed that they are only there to teach, get a decent paycheck, and not care for their students aspirations. I guess you get what you pay for, but departments do vary.

The architecture undergrad school is pretty good, too, but very hard to get into. It seems that the CAP program generally accepts students to have high GPA and SAT scores. Most students that are accepted might have been valedictorians from their high school. As rigorous as CAP is, you really want to be immersed into the energy that the students give off. Don't expect to make your college experience like some party scene if you are interested in CAP. They have high expectations and can't afford low-quality work for the students that don't take pride in their education. The MArch degree is developing into a good program and most students say they received a great education from BSU vs Ivy league schools and students being 150k plus in debt. If you are interested in theory, sustainability, or historic preservation, then go here. Generally all architects from BSU live in Indiana, but you'd be surprised how many live around the country and work at world-renowned firms. If you are interested in the interior design industry, go into architecture. You will learn more and get a better education. Their interior design department is getting better, but the faculty's teaching quality is not consistent. Some instructors give off a grade-school teaching style rather than collegiate. Some instructors are blessed to be there based on their credentials. But if you really want to get into interior design, just get a MFA or MA from a top design school in the country. The interior design program is NOT in the College of Architecture and Planning, which makes it a complete different program. The benefit of having an architecture and interior design degree is awesome, very marketable, and extremely RARE. Also, I highly suggest taking business classes as it will benefit you in the long-run.

Over the years, the president has done much to make the experience for students better. If I wanted to do it all over again, I would probably choose another school. Do your research on what school and field you are interested in. It really does matter what school you go to.

Ball State is currently going through a lotQuite BrightEnglish
Ball State is currently going through a lot of remodeling--new dorms, new gym, etc. While my experience at Ball State has been very worthwhile, especially within my academic area, however, many of the students on campus create cliques. By the end of your freshmen year if you have not made a set of friends you will probably have difficulty making new friends throughout your next 3 years. It is not impossible, but many of the students here are too stuck up to make friends with, it is hard to find genuine people, but they do exist.

The nightlife is not too bad, however, their "village" which is the bar area, could definitely use some improvements. The dining on campus is pretty good, and the campus size is perfect for me. I love my department, but I really wish there were less arragont people on campus.Overall I give the campus an A, but the people a C

4th Year Female -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: F
Ball State is currently going through a lotQuite BrightEnglish

A lot of fake sorority girls and tool frat boys. I have been friends with my freshmen crew, but have managed to make a few friends outside of my floor during freshmen year, however, I do not have many friends who I did not meet freshment year. The nightlife is not too bad, however, their "village" which is the bar area, could definitely use some improvements. The dining on campus is pretty good, and the campus size is perfect for me. I love my department, but I really wish there were less arragont people on campus.

4th Year Female -- Class 2010