StudentsReview :: Butler University - Comments and Student Experiences

Butler University

Butler University is a niche school who's students

May 01 2014Philosophy
Butler University is a niche school who's students and faculty operate on a more general upper-middle class method and approach to life. Everything that comes from such an experience is brought to Butler University. So people are nice, friendly, approachable, so long as you fit into a more competitive white-upper-middle class American who lives in the mid-west. That's a very very specific niche of individuals and anybody who does NOT fit into that niche (essentially a fake "rich" person with "class") should not attend this school or else it will be a drag and a struggle. Like I said, there's some great assets to the school but they must all be taken with a grain of salt. Just go somewhere else.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F

Oh gosh I don't even know where to start

Jun 26 2014PreMed and Medical
Oh gosh I don't even know where to start.
First off - Unless you are in the Greek system you can expect to be excluded from a vast majority of "events" on campus. I never showed any interest in joining Greek life as I am wanting to concentrate on my athletics and academics and I was written off as "less than" by many students. To not be Greek is to not be in the "Norm".

Second - this university is all about the money. They really could care less about the students so long as they are getting their money. The university - administration - really tries to milk you for everything you've got. And while paying 50k a year one would expect different. The university is (in most cases) unwilling to listen to the demands of the students. Simple things such as PARKING and RAPE SAFETY are ignored.

Third - the profs here are exceptional. This is the reason I did not leave the University right away. While I am in the process of transferring now, I stayed 3 years at this University because of how outstanding the profs are. Sadly, this is the only good aspect of Butler I have to comment on.

If you are a minority or LGBTQ (as I am) expect to feel isolated. Expect to be looked down on or simply ignored. This is not a place that values Diversity and this reason is ultimately what was the last straw for me that caused me to leave this establishment. Butler always talks about how they care so much about Diversity but that's a B.S.

I feel as if I have wasted 3 years of my life at this terrible institution. While the Profs here are truly amazing, the administration and student body taint everything that could be good about this place. I wish to convey this message to prospective students---UNLESS you feel very strongly about wanting to join Greek life, go elsewhere. If you are a minority of any kind - go elsewhere. If you are an athlete (as I am) go elsewhere.Thanks for your time.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: F

To be honest, Butler University is a joke

Apr 28 2014Pharmacy
To be honest, Butler University is a joke to me. I'll try to get everything down, but there is just so much that's bad about it that I don't even know if I can say it all.

Professors - Most professors are very nice and helpful if you come up to them and ask for help. However, most professors don't teach very well and like to cram a majority of learning and coursework for the last couple weeks of the semester, resulting in doing nothing at the beginning of the semester, and very stressful times around finals. It is not ideal. Additionally, the experience and grades you get in a class are greatly affected by which professor you get. For general chemistry I had Lieb first semester, and although he wasn't the greatest teacher, I got all A's on every test and felt generally comfortable with the material. But second semester, I have Dr. LeGreve, and I'm struggling to maintain a B and have just failed a test. This is obviously not an accurate gauge of my intelligence based on my grades from last semester.

Administration ? Our school likes to cover up rapes and sexual assaults in order to maintain their public image. Personally, I cannot tolerate a place that prioritizes their own image over their own students? safety. Safety and quality of education should be top priorities, but unfortunately, Butler spends all their funding/tuition dollars on anything but. We have this mascot that?s a real bulldog, which is cool, but he gets pampered and is sent all around the country, and I can?t stand that my (many, many) tuition dollars are actually going toward it.

Student Body - Like others have said, this place is composed of predominantly white, upper class, preppy people. And the little minorities that actually go here often feel left out and alienated by others. It is pretty hostile, or at least judgmental toward the LGBT community, and I have heard many ignorant an homophobic comments (by both students AND faculty) that in my opinion should not be tolerated. People are polite on the surface and cordially friendly, but I found it hard to form deeper connections with most of the students. Everyone is very cliquey, and there is a pretty big divide between people who drink/party and people who don't, meaning these two groups are very separated and judgmental of each other. Somewhere around like 40% of the student body is greek, but sometimes it feels more like about 90%. They dominate everything and have countless closed events, and independents like me often feel left out because of this. There are some open events and parties, but to be honest, I've stopped partying here because I can't stand most of the people there when I'm out.

Facilities - the dorms are absolute shit, to say the least. Ross Hall is the worst, and I was stuck there. There is no air conditioning, the bathrooms and hallways/stairwell are always dirty and gross, there are often leaks in the ceilings, and there was a huge stink bug infestation that affected my area of the building. Also, the environment is not very friendly in here, but apparently it's a lot better in Schwitzer. Most of the buildings (but not all) are very old and are in need of in the process of getting renovations. The heat is also often too high in every room, with no way to change the temp individually. This isn?t much of a big deal, but everything adds up?

The Area ? Before I came here, I thought that Butler would be right in the middle of all the happenin? city life, but boy was I wrong. We?re in a boring suburb, and almost every single place to eat or shop is over 3 miles away. Coming from city life, this was a big culture shock for me, and I just get so bored with nothing to do close by. Indianapolis and Indiana in general is just a very conservative and traditional place, and there is hardly any culture or diversity in Indy, until you get closer to downtown and southern Indy. Many students also come from rural/small town Indiana and are very ignorant and uncultured and don?t know how to deal with even the slightest bit of diversity of skin color or sexualities. Students even in pharmacy and pre-med programs giggle or wince when a professor says the word ?vagina? or references anything sexual at all, and I find it extremely immature for college-age students. If you are in any way progressive or want to be treated right by the administration, do NOT come to Butler University. My year at Butler has been the absolute worst year of my life and my biggest regret. I've transferred from here and am ready for a much better life at a different school. The only things I'll miss about this place are the extremely fast wi-fi and the few people I was friends with that actually have compassion for other people. The only good thing about this place is the basketball team, and arguably the Pharmacy program.

Education Quality: B, Useful Schoolwork: D