StudentsReview ™ :: Butler University - Comments and Student Experiences

Butler University

I made some great memories at Butler but

Apr 13 2014Sociology
I made some great memories at Butler but this was in no way due to the university staff. In fact, I left Butler and now live in England to persue my goals. I joined a sorority and was sad to say goodbye to all of my sisters and friends but not a day goes by that I am not glad that I made the choice to leave.

In fact, I hear more and more negative stories regaring Butler and now worry for the safety of the women I left behind. The university have a tendency to sweep unwanted press "under the rug" and this includes rape and sexual assault.

Below is a link to a truely sad and disturbing story from a 2013 rape victim that even worked for the university as a tour guide. She was disregarded and eventually, after her case was delayed several times on her attackers behalf, her he was found guilty. This was over turned due to an error and her rape kit was "lost". Her attacker still attends Butler with her and has been protected, while her trauma has been intensified but the school and BUPD that swore to protect her.

Rape is not exactly an uncommon occurance on this campus.http://thoughtcatalog.com/eliza-quincey/2014/04/since-everyone-thinks-im-being-too-emotional-about-my-rape-here-are-just-the-facts-of-how-my-university-swept-it-under-the-rug/

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Useful Schoolwork: F

I like the size

Feb 23 2014Chemistry
I like the size of the school. Class sizes are generally 15 students. Professors are willing to help. It's great being so close to downtown Indianapolis. Lots to do.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B

The university is heavily revolved around Greek life

Feb 17 2014Math
The university is heavily revolved around Greek life. When you tour they try to play it off like not that many people are actually involved and there are other things to do on campus if you are not interested in joining, but the reality is very different. Good luck finding a party after rush because unless you are in a house the fraternities will be closed to you and unless you have older friends that own a house or apartment there will be nothing going on. College is about having fun and going out with your friends while getting an education, but the greek system tends to take away the going out part for the independents. I wish someone would have told me the truth about the greek system before I decided to go to Butler. Homecoming is revolved around greeks. The skits, lip syncs, and philanthropy events are awkward as an independent. No matter what anyone says staying friends with people who go greek when you remain an independent won't happen. It not because being greek changes people so much or anything it is just that they have no time. Greeks are constantly having meeting or what not. Other than the heavy influence of greeks Butler is a pretty great place. The people I met are great, but you can tell most people are wealthy, which I am not so I never truly felt like I fit in. The basketball games were a lot of fun until Brad left. The academics are good, not as challenging as I expected though. All professors I have come across have been very helpful, friendly, and approachable. Before coming to Butler figure out what you are going there for because it is a lot of money. The high cost isn't worth it unless you are wealthy or going there for pharmacy or pa.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016