StudentsReview :: Butler University - Comments and Student Experiences

Butler University

I decided to go to Butler because ofQuite BrightPharmacy
I decided to go to Butler because of the amazing campus, pharmacy program and the people. I was not disappointed. Butler has a beautiful campus no matter the season plus the faculty are some of the most helpful people out there if you are willing to treat them with respect. The positives about Butler is that majority of professors will go to any length to help students, if you rush with an open mind you have a good chance of being involved with Greek life and there is so many extracurriculars its impossible not to be involved. Some negatives is that BUPD has been strict on any form of parties on and off campus, many students are very outgoing so if someone is introverted they may have a hard time being recognized for their hard work and tution is quite expensive. Butler is located in a neighborhood, so a car or Uber is necessary to go visit other parts of Indianapolis. Butler has 2 resturants on campus and are currently building a new dorm and business building. There is also something to do on campus whether it is seeing a Boradway muscial in Clowes Hall or watching the Dawgs play in Hinkle, there is something for everyone if people are willing to look for it. One piece of advice to anyone planning to attend Butler, the best way to success is to keep and open mind and do not be afraid to get involved!
3rd Year Female -- Class 1921
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C
I write this review as a student whoSuper BrilliantEconomics
I write this review as a student who is happy with his first-year experience, yet has still decided to transfer schools. If you stick with me through this review, you will learn why.

Butler is an excellent school for some people. The faculty are very down to earth and friendly people. All of the professors I had were both brilliant and approachable. I made it a priority to get to know my professors through their office hours and was able to do this at Butler. However, I registered at Butler with 17 credit hours already from AP credits, plus honors and athletics priorities, so I generally had first pick when it came to selecting my classes. My advisor (S/O Professor Gjerde) was very knowledgable and helpful when it came to selecting classes. Butler will keep you on track to graduate, they will not let you get too far off course. The professors and administration made me feel like they genuinely cared about my academic and personal success. Class sizes are also super small. My average class numbered about 25 kids and all of my professors knew my name. The FBE and RBE programs in the Lacy School of Business are incredible and quite unlike anything offered at any other school. It is also quite easy to double major here.

Most of the student body is friendly if approached. However, most Butler students will not go out of their way to meet new people after a certain point in the school year, so the school gets to be quite cliquey. I understand that everyone finds their group within a school, but at Butler it felt like once people had that set group, they had no interest in meeting anyone else. Of course, this is just a generalization, there are people here that don't fit that mold. Although I imagine those people are more numerous at other schools. Butler is also dominated by Greek life. Despite the fact that Butler had only 4.5 fraternities (RIP Lambda) and 7 sororities last year, it feels like over 50% of the school is greek. I was fortunate enough to be on a varsity athletic team, so I managed to find a large, close-knit group of friends without going greek. However, I have many friends who are neither greek nor athletes, and many of them had a difficult time expanding their social circles. I cannot imagine going to school here if you are not an athlete and do not intend to participate in greek life. With all of that being said, I managed to make some great friends at Butler that I'll miss dearly in my next chapter. In essence, Butler is a small school. Make sure you know that you want a small school before deciding to come here. That means eating at the same dining hall every day, seeing the same faces in the hallways, and always having a mutual friend with someone you just met. Someone shares you major? Best (try to) get to know them, because chances are, you'll have many classes with them. If this is what you want, Butler is probably a great place for you. In the end, I decided I'm just more of a big school kinda guy. I don't regret spending my freshman year at Butler because I've made some amazing friends here. But the school itself is just not what I wanted from my college experience. Although Butler wasn't the best fit for me and I have decided to transfer, I'll still cheer on the dawgs when March Madness rolls around.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: B
Attending Butler is the best decision I haveBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Attending Butler is the best decision I have ever made.
The faculty is extremely helpful and courteous, always willing to help when needed. I can understand why people have said that the students are snotty rich white kids, but I would say since the last review was posted (2014) there has been remarkable changes in order to increase diversity on campus. The diversity center enables students of all races, sexuality, social class, and even political views to come together as a community. I would also say that most of the people I know or have met, have money and wear nice clothes, but will treat any person on this campus as an equal, regardless of race, sexuality, or the clothes they are wearing. The sense of community at Butler is unmatched, as I finish my first semester, I feel like Butler is my home. If you have the opportunity to attend Butler, you should. You'll be happy you did.
1st Year Male -- Class 1920