StudentsReview :: Indiana University - Bloomington - Comments and Student Experiences

Purdue University -- West Lafayette, IN

I transferred to IU thinking it would beQuite BrightAnthropology
I transferred to IU thinking it would be a good decision, a larger school than my previous university and therefore more diversity and more majors and programs to work with...WORST decision of my life. This place is absolute hell. If you are an undergrad you will be taught by grad students who are less prepared than you (that is, if you actually care about your education), you will be taught by professors who will treat you like they don't have the time of day for you if you are an undergrad, and if you're a UD (university division) student you're definitely SOL because you are not cared about. Here, you are a number and a dollar sign. You will get a random ass advisor who doesn't know much and will give you incorrect information, and if you're lucky like me you'll get one who talks down to you completely and basically yells in your face because he doesn't know how to use an inside voice. They will make it sound like they have amazing resources from counselors to printers, but let me tell you, there are not nearly enough of any of these for the large number of students on this campus. By the way, there are too many students, because the university will take literally anyone and string them along because every student is simply another way to make money. You will get over charged for any and every little thing, some fees on your bill you won't even know why they're there and you won't get an answers, either. I was in an art class where we were required to buy over $100 worth of our own art supplies, yet I was still charged a $50 dollar fee in my bursar for "fine arts equipment". In my calc class I provided my own calculator and whatever else I needed, yet there was large fee for "math equipment". I understand they need money for general supplies, but you will get charged for things that will never even affect you. This place is an absolute joke. And it's practically run by students. Trying to get the hell out of this terrible place and I was given the run around this way too large and honestly not that pretty campus (only some parts are fairly pretty) only to go to offices where the only people working were other students that were not helpful, couldn't answer my questions, and I wasn't particularly comfortable sharing my personal issues with. The campus is full of very pretentious students, particularly the Greek and Kelley students. Walking around campus I never once heard a conversation that didn't include how drunk or messed up someone was the night before or last weekend. If you don't party hard, and I mean like putting yourself in danger party hard, then people will look down on you. Not to mention campus safety is a joke. Oh, and if you have political views that are anything but extremely liberal, please do not come here. I'm not conservative, but I am not liberal enough for this place, either. And if you are conservative at all, you will get threatened (I knew a conservative student, a quiet, smart girl who kept to herself, but when someone found out that she has generally conservative political views, she was told to leave by other students and someone even told her she deserved to die and that they hoped she ended up dead). I hate every second I've spent here, and my biggest reasoning for transferring was to be closer to home, but this hell is not worth it. I am going to transfer back to my original university next semester and I never want to see this place again.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Collaboration/Competitive: C-, Scholastic Success: F
I chose to attend Indiana University despite gettingQuite BrightOther
I chose to attend Indiana University despite getting into "better" schools. After my acceptance, I never even considered it until I visited. This campus is gorgeous, and still amazes me with it's beauty, and that's what caused me to fall in love. Unfortunately, this movie-esque perception of college is not so great. I had awful, awful teachers my entire year with the exception of one. The majority of my teachers were grad students that were hard to understand due to their thick accents, and the rest just did not care for me, nor their other students. I did make some friends, though that took time. I thought they were such amazing people until I returned home and realized how poorly most had been treating me. Indiana is it's own world filled with pretentious Greek life member, pretentious Kelley admit or Midwest natives. Not only that, but this campus is basically in the middle of nowhere and it is virtually impossible to get anywhere unless you have a car or lots of money to spend on Uber, causing you to feel trapped. I am never one to get homesick, but I craved home more than ever. This year caused my confidence to drop and my insecurities to sky rocket. Unless you are in-state and get to play the incredibly low tuition, you will most likely find a better fit.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
I know several close friends that were sexualNot so brightGeography and Geosciences
I know several close friends that were sexual assault/rape victims. The school offered LITTLE TO NO assistance of follow up on these cases. The one time a perpetrator was found guilty he was given summer suspension(basically a normal vacation). Trying to find residential parking for freshman year is ridiculous and pricey. It took long periods of time for the staff to fix problems things in the residence halls such as; toilets, cleaning supplies, and anything to do with the bathrooms. The wifi cuts out all the time. It crashes regularly and is ridiculously slow. The school does seem to keep quite about a lot of its problems and issues. The campus is very beautiful and the people that go here are very approachable. It is very easy to start a conversation with someone and befriend them. The major specific programs are great and I do feel that I picked the best school near me for a geology program.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018