StudentsReview :: Indiana University Bloomington - Comments and Student Experiences

Purdue University -- West Lafayette, IN

Indiana University Bloomington

I am about to begin my Junior year at IU

Jul 25 2014Political Science
I am about to begin my Junior year at IU. This is a huge school, so you're not going to be coddled like you would be at a smaller private school. IU freshman are given a huge amount of freedom and resources, and it can be overwhelming for some. But if you're a confident, ambitious kid who enjoys partying, you're going to love this place.

Also, as a guy I can firmly say that the young women here are absolutely gorgeous, and so is the campus. Simply walking between my classes is always a pleasure because it's a beautiful experience. Girls tell me that the guys here are cool. So ladies, you'll love it here.

As far as professors, most of them are involved in some sort of research. This means that they won't go out of their way to help you out. But from my experience, whenever I have shown initiative and approached a professor myself, they have been extremely helpful. If you're an anxious or sensitive person and you need someone to hold your hand through each class, go to a smaller school.There is so much more I could say, but in a nutshell, IU is such a diverse and fun place that I wouldn't know where to start. I've had a great 2 years and I'm excited to turn 21 and experience the great bar scene in Bloomington!

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Faculty Accessibility: C+

Alright, I am a freshman here at Indiana

May 06 2014Economics
Alright, I am a freshman here at Indiana University, which is probably one of the largest party schools in the country. Needless to say, I don't really take part in that scene. Let me go into depth about this "glorious institution" that is Indiana University.

Academics: These are my main concern. Unlike many of my classmates, I actually care about school and I like learning. I am majoring in geography and economics and minoring in mathematics. From what I have experienced here, I would describe Indiana University's education quality as average. As a freshman, you will probably be enrolled in some large lecture classes to meet some of the gen-eds, so expect to be among 200-300 people. I have felt that I have been luckier than the average student, though, because my professors were all native English speakers and hold plenty of accessible office hours. As an "arts and sciences" student, I cannot say much about entry-level business classes, but it seems that the quality of education increases as you enroll in upper-level courses.

Other Students: The worst part of Indiana University, however, is the undergraduates that go there. If you are a lowlife bro who loves shots and basketball games, I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded people; the same applies to dopey ditzy basic girls whose main interests are vodka and Instagram. Most of them are attracted to the business school, because they don't like an actual subject and just default to a way to make a lot of money. They get low grades in easy subjects such as introductory economics and finite mathematics because they were too hungover on the day of the midterm. If for any reason you are out late, any night of the week really, expect to see these animals wandering in herds to the next opportunity to inebriate themselves. It's actually quite hard to meet people not of this mindset.

Dorms: Most people move out of the dorms sophomore year, with good reason. There is a high likelihood that you will not have air conditioning, making the entire months of August and September unbearable. Many of them were built between 1950 and 1970, so they will seem dingy, depressing, fluorescent, but you get used to them. Most dining facilities are okay; they just opened a new one in the southeast neighborhood called "Woodlands" which is actually pretty high-quality for on-campus dining, but most places have what you would expect; chicken sandwiches, pizza, burritos. As far as "neighborhoods" go (categorized dormitory regions), let me summarize them all in a few words each.

1. Northwest: Typical IU party area. A bunch of mindless bros in tank tops with their female counterparts. Kelley School of Business people.

2. Central: Pretty average people, mostly normal suburbanite white kids that comprise the majority of Indiana University.

3. Southeast: This is a mix of international students, music school students, and a few of the people that comprise groups 1 and 2.

If I could make a suggestion, I would urge you to join an LLC. Originally I started out "going rando" (random roommate random dorm), and I lived at Wright in Central neighborhood. My experience of Indiana University improved magnificently when I decided to switch to Collins LLC halfway through first semester. If you seek alternative lifestyles/community service/activism, you should live here. Friendly, generally good people, with a some elite hipsters that luckily don't sour the bunch. It's what Bloomington is actually like.The hardest aspect of attending a school like Indiana University is finding intelligent life in the pool of neanderthals that I have the displeasure of calling my classmates. Call me arrogant, but I can not believe that people like this go to my college. Academically, it is not that hard, and if you actually devote a portion of your day to studying (like you are supposed to in COLLEGE), you should be fine.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A, Individual Value: C-

Academics: Overall, IU is an amazing school in

Mar 24 2014Computer Science
Academics: Overall, IU is an amazing school in terms of academics. They have strengths in almost every department -- almost to the point that I'd say they're underrated. First of all, the Jacobs School of Music is VERY highly ranked, and the feel that it, along with the many other fine arts programs, brings to the campus is something special in and of itself. Additionally, the Kelley School of Business is one of only three business programs in America that is ranked in the top ten in every single area. Kelley is pretty tough from what I hear, but very rewarding; many Kelley graduates land jobs in New York and Chicago. IU also boasts strengths in its foreign language department, and produces a noteworthy amount of Fullbright Scholars. Lastly, IU is VERY strong in the life sciences. Be warned of this if you have to take a lab course. Given the difficulty of these courses, it's no surprise that IU has one of the highest medical school acceptance rates in the nation. Given all of its academic strengths, IU should honestly be rated in the top 40 or 50 colleges in America, as opposed to #75. If IU added an engineering school, this may just become a reality.

Social Life: IU tends to party. Like a lot. However, I, myself, don't party at all. Never been the type to act really stupid (i.e. get drunk) to fit in with peers, and I'm pretty content here at IU despite that. As far as clubs/organizations, pretty well anything you can think of is available here (search for clubs using MyInvolvement!). If you can't find a club/organizations that fits your needs, you're allowed to start one without any hassle. I recommend not rushing -- or having a whole heck of a lot to do with Greek Life at all. They're pretty exclusive, and if you've ever watched Blue Mountain State, well...that sums up the Greek Life here pretty well.

Students: IU is a heck of a good-looking campus -- in terms of the scenery AND the students. I was always considered to be a really good-looking guy in high school, and here I feel overwhelmingly average lol. The chicks are mind-blowingly hot. Just take my word for it. However, most everybody (except for the incredibly awesome international students) is pretty snooty. So many people keep to themselves, and no one ever makes eye contact or says "you're welcome" when someone thanks them. It's like a big city, which is so weird to me because, unfortunately, I'm from a small town. It's pretty hard to make friends as a result of how stuck up everyone seems to be. I've honestly only made two friends since I've been here, but it's not a huge deal since I'm so incredibly busy with IU's rigor and working part-time. If you're from a suburb of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, etc.) you'll have NO problem making friends. You'll probably feel like you're in high school again lol. Lastly, IU's student body is incredibly liberal. You're going to have a fun time trying to fit in if you're ultra-conservative.

Little 5: Seek shelter inside. Not in Northwest neighborhood.
Faculty: IU's faculty is world-renowned. This should honestly be expected from a Big 10 University -- or any research institution for that matter. DEFINITELY go to office hours. The most amazing people I've ever met were professors at IU.

Classes: Huge, often in a gigantic lecture hall. Although, the size trickles down as you advance within your major. I say don't let the size get to you. Professors/AI's are actually pretty accessible. And keep in mind, they're being paid not only to research, but ALSO to help their students.

Academic Rigor: The best thing about IU is its SPH-H classes. These classes will definitely inflate you GPA lol. These easier classes are welcomed, though, because IU offers a myriad of very difficult classes as well. Typically, World Language/Culture classes are pretty easy, along with the psychology courses. Among the difficult classes offered at IU are those in math, business, computer science/informatics, and the life sciences.

Job Placement: The Kelley School of Business, The School of Informatics and Computing, and SPEA have terrific job placement rates, and also boast very high salaries. There's also the Applied Physics program that leads to employment (I think this is our answer to an engineering program). Other than what I've mentioned, everything at IU is intended to lead to further study (i.e. graduate school, medical school).

To conclude, I'm glad I chose IU. This is coming from someone who spent a semester at ISU (and made a 4.0 while sleeping 12 hours a day) and a semester at Purdue (which is also an amazing university). I say give IU a shot. You're never going to experience so much variety, and so many opportunities in your life.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016