StudentsReview :: Indiana University Southeast - Comments and Student Experiences

Indiana University Southeast

I loved IUS because of the cost benefits.Quite BrightOther
I loved IUS because of the cost benefits. Low cost, convenient and accessible. If you're a traditional college student hoping for the traditional experience you're going to be fairly disappointed. IUS isn't a typical college campus, it's mostly a commuter campus with some traditional students living in lodges. IUS's business school is highly ranked and an amazing experience! So are the education and nursing schools. But if you come to this school thinking it's going to be Bloomington or have tons of on-campus life, then you're wrong. This is a dead campus with little to no life on it. There are Frats and Sororities but they do everything off campus. The clubs are very weakly done, and faculty is focused on teaching not research. IUS professors are excellent, helpful and friendly. But I feel the major complaints about IUS is that it's not traditional.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: D+
This school is a joke.Business - Management and Administration
This school is a joke. Professors are nice, but do nothing to prepare you for the real world. All they care about is loading you up with a bunch of information and theoretical bull that makes THEM look good, but does nothing for students. My degree from this school in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing leaves me at the bottom of hiring manager's lists for good candidates for jobs. Therefore, even after years of industry experience, I am unemployed and have to spend money that I don't have to get a different college degree (from somewhere else) because the degree I have from I.U.S. is useless.
Don't get me wrong--I love IUS.Quite BrightPsychology
Don't get me wrong--I love IUS. The professors are all wonderful and really enjoy their work and helping students. There are many different extracurriculars to take part in, and there are constantly events going on across campus.

The problem with IUS is the administration. They are a total joke. Financial aid was not able to answer any questions I had about FASFA and the advisers were just disappointing.

The day I went in to meet with an adviser I clearly told them my intended career path--to be a high school counselor--and I had asked them which major would be the right choice to pursue it. I was told Psychology and I did very well in my classes for the first year. I loved it a lot! I had a high GPA and was getting prepared for graduate school to finish out my counseling degree. When I took summer classes, the School Psychology course was opened, and I jumped on the opportunity knowing how quickly that course filled up and that it might be another year or two before I had the chance. My professor, the wonderful Dr. Terry Burger, happened to be the school psychologist for the Clark county school district. When I told him I had entered the course to prepare for counseling, he had asked me my major and dropped the bomb on me. The advisers had no idea what they were doing and put me in the wrong program--I was supposed to be in the Education major, graduate as a teacher, teach for five years, and THEN finally go back to graduate school for counseling. When I went to transfer to the school of education, I was told almost none of my previous credits would transfer over and I was knocked back from Sophomore to square one as a Freshman. Not only were several months of my life marked as irrelevant and wasted, but the same news was delivered to another student in that class that had been put into the same exact situation!

I'm transferring out of IUS after this semester and have no plans of returning. While everything else the school had to offer was amazing, the incompetency of the administration is an overwhelming con for me. I'm sorry to any other students that have fallen victim to this same sort of dilemma.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019