StudentsReview :: The Rose Hulman Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Worcester Polytechnic Institute -- Worcester, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA

The Rose Hulman Institute of Technology

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an outstanding scQuite BrightComputer Science
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an outstanding school with a great reputation in engineering. For its location, it has a better than average social life, and between the school's activities, clubs, and societies and the Greek life present, there is enough to do.

The education is the same as any engineering school or program because the material is the same. It is essentially universal knowledge. The school, however, excels with hands-on learning and involvement with team projects. There are also internships and work experience available to students on campus through the school.

One of the drawbacks is that the curriculum is difficult and there is a high-pressure environment as well. The expression "work hard, play hard" is often used, and that is a pretty accurate representation of the atmosphere. In a given week, you can expect to work Monday through Friday on very difficult coursework before having a break for the weekend. It's important to have a positive attitude while you are attending Rose-Hulman because of the stress, and having supportive friends and family helps, too.

There is no reason that I wouldn't choose to attend Rose-Hulman again if I were reconsidering the decision I made in high school. It's a place that taught me many things that I wouldn't have learned on my own, and I think the "Give 'em hell" attitude shows that it is a school that has spirit. If you are looking for a school whose name will immediately be recognized jumping off of r?sum's after graduating, then depending on where in the country you are and how involved in engineering you become, this might not be the right school for you. If you want an exceptional education and the tools and resources to build and understand complex systems, though, it is a great school to attend and certainly a place where you will meet like-minded people.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: D
Alright my experience at Rose was probably aNot so brightElectrical Engineering
Alright my experience at Rose was probably a bit different than most. I've heard many complaints about the lack of social life in Terre Haute, which ultimately I think is going to be true to some extent of any scholastic culture like law, medicine, and engineering which just plain takes up a lot of time. I remember weekends going from 2 double headers on the weekend playing baseball and realizing that I had 5 hours of a lab to finish or preparing for an exam. Plain and simple, it was VERY hard, especially that initial adjustment for those who are good students in high school, who work reasonably hard, but haven't really turned on the afterburners yet.

Anyways, yes, Terre Haute leaves much to be desired. It's kind of a backwards town especially if you're from a larger city like Indy or Chicago. For many of the smalltowners at RHIT, Terre Haute was probably an upgrade, though.

I would complain a bit about the lack of diversity at Rose, but I would never advocate making diversity a priority in terms of the student body. It's more important to have exceptionally gifted students first.

I am about 3 years out of school now and after having worked with engineers at many other schools I do believe the experience there was very beneficial and there's good reason Rose engineers have great reputation in industry.Engineering is a great background for entry into a great deal of fields including law, business, management, medicine, etc. Rose-Hulman is a great cornerstone and starting place for these careers. After getting my EE there I am considering business school and law school and managing 7 people in a design team only 3 years out of school! Never could have done it without my background at RHIT. I find myself wishing I was able to work with other people from there in industry now, as I believe some of the things that people don't mention are the intimacy of smaller classes and design focus really trains us to be kinder, better communicators, and better public speakers.

4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C-
After leaving the university, I have found myBrightPhysics
After leaving the university, I have found my graduate program to be simplistic and feel that I am not being pushed to my full potential. I find I know way more than my science and engineering peers from other schools. Back at Rose the courses were deep in content and there was an atmosphere that if you wanted to explore the topic further you were accepted and aided. Having knowledge of science and engineering beyond course curriculum was accepted by my peers and the smarter you were the cooler you were. Oh! You don't know how a tesla coil works? Lame! Let me show you and you can be cool too. Coming back to the real world has been a shock, where people get pissy when you get better grades than them and make fun of you for reading books beyond basic curriculum. Not so at Rose!That said, the local area sucks. Amusement comes in the form of DnD, video games, and running around the campus drunk. Casual intermural sports are pretty big. It is an Engineer's Valhalla, but four years was all I could take in that town before needing to go somewhere with restaurants, entertainment, and women.
4th Year Male -- Class 2009