StudentsReview :: Taylor University - Comments and Student Experiences

Calvin College -- Grand Rapids, MI

Taylor University

Taylor was an amazing

Sep 02 2013Social Work
Taylor was an amazing school for me and as time goes by i am more and more thankful for the education and experiences I received. I was well prepared for my current job and I would not take back my experience at TU for anything.
Starting Job: social worker Preparedness: B+ Reputation: D

Taylor University changed my life

Apr 27 2012Communications
Taylor University changed my life. At Taylor I was given opportunities for both academic and professional development. I was able to hold leadership positions that enable me to be better equipped for the future. Additionally I was given great opportunities to travel and engage globally. My faith was challenged yet I felt continually supported throughout my entire experience. Throughout my time as an undergrad I felt completely loved and invested in by countless staff members and friends at the university. Living in a residence hall at Taylor were some of the most formative of my life.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Innovation: A+, Surrounding City: B-

Taylor is expensive, but it's worth every penny

Jul 31 2014Art & Design Department
Taylor is expensive, but it's worth every penny. If you're looking for a school at which the community strives to its best to live the way Christ has called his followers, it's a wonderful choice. Taylor places importance on growing in every aspect of life - academic excellence and spiritual growth are woven together in every aspect of an education here. Chapel is not required, but it's usually full every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and worship and the messages are a wonderful reprieve from the hustle and bustle of classes. You'll find professors who pray before class. There are small groups for bible study, wing/floor worship in the dorms, and other services/opportunities for spiritual growth throughout the week. There are also many churches of a wide variety of styles and denominations in the area.

Everyone is required to take core religion classes, along with other classes to round out gen. ed. requirements for the liberal arts degree. I've found pretty much all of my classes to be beneficial, and I've even enjoyed some of my non-major classes more than some of those in my area of study. The bible department profs are almost all phenomenal, and most of the other faculty on campus could be described in such a manner, one way or another, as well. (Just do yourself a favor and don't decide to major in Spanish here.) Professors are extremely accessible and helpful, and it's not uncommon for students to visit their houses, have their phone numbers, or be greeted outside of class by them.

For those who prefer city life, Upland likely won't be satisfactory (it's a tiny town in the middle of cornfields). It is about halfway between Ft. Wayne and Indy, though, so the city is about an hour away. Taylor itself has a bunch of fun traditions (just search "Taylor University Silent Night" on YouTube for a taste), and has extra-curricular activities coming out of its ears. There are many opportunities to become involved with organizations and events both on campus and in the surrounding community. Taylor emphasizes serving others, and reaches out to both its immediate neighbors and those abroad.

That brings me to one of the super exciting things about this school: there are so many opportunities to travel around the world. Mission trips, academic trips, music trips, study abroad...it's very likely that one who goes there will visit at least one foreign country before he or she graduates (and it will be a life-changing experience).

Dorm life is great. If you want to have 24/7 open house, you'll be disappointed, but I think most people are thankful not to have to worry about the opposite sex walking around on their wing/floor at all hours. Individual floors or wings (depending on which dorm) are generally very close-knit, and you'll find students of every year (freshman to senior) living on them. It's very much a blessing to have students who are at every level of experience all living together and sharing life. (This also means that there's no "freshmen dorm." Every dorm is nice, and there's usually something done over each summer to improve/update one or another of them.) My particular wing has the older students wash the feet of incoming freshmen during our fall wing retreat. Pick-a-dates are a big thing on campus. A particular wing or floor will basically plan a large group date (anything from playing messy games outdoors, to going to a museum and a nice dinner, to laser tag, etc.), and it's a great opportunity to get to know someone of the opposite sex in a low-pressure and fun situation (or to just spend time with someone with whom you're already good friends). Oh, also, laundry is included in the sum you pay for room and board at Taylor, so there's no need to worry about quarters or swiping a card to use the washing machines and dryers. All in all, I have never regretted my decision to go to Taylor. I become more thankful for this school each semester I attend, and I thank God for the close friendships and excellent education I'm receiving.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015