StudentsReview :: The University of Indianapolis - Comments and Student Experiences

Indiana State University -- Terre Haute, IN
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

The University of Indianapolis

Please please PLEASE avoid this awful school.Sociology
Please please PLEASE avoid this awful school. The only thing good about this school is that it is in a pretty safe area, but that is only relatively speaking since most colleges for god knows why seem to be located in areas with horrible amounts of street crime around and in the campus.

Besides that, be prepared for them to take about $37,000 (assuming you enroll in a two year grad program like I did) and throw it into either sports (D2 so who even cares?) or paying the salaries of tenured profs.

One professor was practical in his teaching, and I was able to garner a sliver of experience taking his classes, but besides that, the other faculty members seemed completely disinterested in helping me to form connections with the nearby community and gain any kind of marketable skills that would land me a job in my field. One professor even had us help him edit a book he was writing and had us report how many hours we "studied material relating to the topic" as our grades. So of course everyone is just going to report enough hours so they can get an A. After all, that just means he gets to do even less work.

The food is atrocious, and I'm guessing it comes from producers that sell colleges cheap and completely processed food. Everything on that campus will make you fat, so unless you are an athlete, don't get a meal plan (a lot of undergrads commute, so some may elect a meal plan for the days they're on campus all day).

The advising simply referred me to other people when it came to helping me to build my resume and sell myself to employers. Instead of helping to connect me or knowing anything about my field of interest, I was referred to other people, who I didn't even bother with, since they probably would have bounced me all over the place with other people they would "recommend" contacting.

There is almost nothing to do since there is no greek life. The lack of clubs/organizations that would fit the interest of young people looking to relax and have fun/excitement only takes away from any connection you could make to peers and other students in the area. They have clubs related to people's majors, but that doesn't fill in the gap much in terms of entertainment. And with the public transportation being so bad over there, anyone without a car can be made to feel completely stuck. Honestly, it's very easy to go crazy over there due to your lack of being able to connect with people, unless you already know people in the area, most likely due to having lived there already.

Lastly, the staff seem to be highly incompetent. I've had some staff members actually try to assist me with issues related to grades/registration and transcripts which is nice. However, it seems like the people in the accounting/student aid department always seemed to make some mistake with my records, placing the burden to fix these issues on me. Honestly, what did I just pay for here?

There seriously is no reason to attend Uindy. It's a small school that can at times feel like a more close knit environment due to small class sizes. However, that connection does not expand beyond the classroom, making 99% of your time spent there a complete bore. If you want to get something good on your resume, try to stick with larger state/flagship schools, since they tend to have more to offer in terms of research and faculty members who are young and know what it takes to compete in today's real world.

Only go to this university if you planBrightBiology
Only go to this university if you plan to guide yourself through college. Advisors in every department will lead you on and cost you time and money. Yea I have a degree now but it took me an extra year due to poor guidance! Which is $35,000 i would not have spent other wise. This university solely cares about the money. One advisor even told me an undergraduate degree should take 5 or 6 years!
5th Year Female -- Class 2014