StudentsReview :: The University of Southern Indiana - Comments and Student Experiences

Vanderbilt University -- Nashville, TN

The University of Southern Indiana

I am from Kentucky and applied to severalQuite Bright
I am from Kentucky and applied to several schools in Kentucky as well as USI. I was very impressed with the USI campus on my first visit and I still am to this day. I chose USI because it had a good engineering school and offered me the best scholarship of any school I applied to (If you are top or close to top of your class, you will certainly get a chance at the presidential scholarship but only 8 will get it and that is decided by an interview process that is incredibly nerve-racking).

I am a mechanical engineering student at USI and I have had mostly very positive experiences with my professors and with the university. I believe that the engineering program at USI is very underrated due to it being a young program (accredited within the last few years). The professors are excellent and you will be challenged and will learn if that's what you come to do. I can see this school becoming a real powerhouse in the future once it builds a reputation for itself so get in while people don't know about it to take advantage of easy admission. Let me make it clear that USI will NOT give away engineering degrees. I think have a perception that engineering is only difficult at top-tier schools but that is absolutely ridiculous. They are top-tier schools because of their research, student body, faculty, and reputation. They take all the same classes with the same curriculum so don't come to USI to get an easier degree because it won't be easy especially if you come in with that expectation. I knew I would be challenged before entering college but I underestimated the commitment of time and brain power required. Some classes beat me up pretty bad in my first few semesters but I hung on an retook a few classes and it was worth it. College is tough no matter where you go, so use the professors and find help where you can. Don't be like me. I was too full of myself and thought I didn't need help but I really did and I was very humbled by that. This university has plentiful resources of very smart people that are able and willing to see good students succeed.

The campus is situated just west of Evansville, which is a moderately sized river city. There is plenty of stuff to do in Evansville but not much really geared for college students in my opinion. The city feels safe and I could see myself staying here after I graduate.

Others have posted this, but I will confirm that most of the students are from Evansville and hate their school. For this reason, I believe the main thing holding back USI from being well-known as an excellent school is the mass of Evansville residents with no school spirit and no eagerness to excel in their studies. USI needs more out-of-state or even out-of-town students to wipe away the marred reputation that Evansville HS graduates have given to the university.

3rd Year Male -- Class 1922
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B-
I am from Kentucky and applied to severalNot so brightMechanical Engineering

3rd Year Male -- Class 1922
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C
While I enjoyed some of my professors, IQuite BrightOther
While I enjoyed some of my professors, I was overall disappointed in my experience here. I specifically told advisor what my goal was and they put me in a program that was a complete waste of my money. I spent $30000 on an education only to be told I would only make that in a year in my field of study. I've had more complaints about this degree and experience than I can for on one page. All they want is your money with little concern about how the courses you take actually help you to secure a job in your area of study. I've spent 25 years in healthcare, spent $30000 on an education that leaves me in the same position I was before. I trusted they were leading me down the correct path and they failed me. You are an inconvenience to advisors. Completely wasted my time and money but hey they got paid.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1921