StudentsReview :: Pittsburg State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

Pittsburg State University

Kansas - Pittsburg State University Bachelors in ElectronicsBrightElectrical Engineering
Kansas - Pittsburg State University Bachelors in Electronics Engineering & Technology IS a good program that closely mirrors traditional Electrical/Electronic Engineering programs. The course uses much of the same books at EE programs. The field of study coursework is classroom learning from PhD Engineering instructors that teach 60% Engineering Theory and the other 40% is hands-on lab work to put theory into practice. Traditional Mathematics (Calculus courses) and hard science curriculum courses such as Physics, & Chemistry are required as well to complete the degree. UNFORTUNATELY - Most hiring managers at various engineering companies in Kansas think that the degree from PSU is a tech degree where all we did was play with scopes in a lab as if it were ITT tech institute, therefore they will not hire you. It just shows that they do not understand the field of engineering and practical application engineering design with existing technology. The degree is just as challenging as any traditional EE degree, but the bias in industry is flat out ridiculous. It would only take about 30 course hours of work to convert it to a EE degree from another college in which you wouldn't learn much of anything new. Or you could possibly get a MSEE degree along with it to make yourself look more legitimate at the extra $$ expense and supplemental work.

PSU should offer bridge work to obtain an MSEE degree through another university. It would be a killer duo. Your education is what you make of it. I graduated from PSU and have been employed as an engineer ever since, but I have face many many difficulties, biases, and condescending comments & attitudes from other engineers that say I am not a "real engineer" like they are. It has delayed my career, hurt my salary potential, and caused some headaches just because of the bias and misunderstanding of the degree. They think you went to Devry or ITT tech institute because the naming of the degree. It's unfortunate. There is such a misunderstanding and bias of the PSU degree, that they will even hire Bachelor of Physics majors as engineers in Kansas City but not BSEET's that mirror EE programs. It's bizarre. My recommendations is to either do the BSEET at Pitt, then go into an MSEE program afterwards, OR just do the traditional EE. It's not any more challenging to do so and you won't face the bias. The bias is so riduculous these days that the Kansas & Missouri state boards of which are made up of "traditionals" will not let you apply for a PE. They have a personal condescending disliking towards this type of degree.

4th Year Male -- Class 1998
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F
It seems like many reviews on here areQuite BrightPreLaw and Legal
It seems like many reviews on here are very negative but I haven't had any of that in my personal experience. I lived in the dorms in 2008, and 2011 and while I didn't love my room in Trout Hall, it wasn't terrible, and last semester was spent at Crimson Commons which was a very enjoyable experience, and this semester I'll be at Willard Hall which looks equally promising.

As for my courses, I am generally challenged, not necessarily in course load, but in quality. Some might see challenge or difficult level in terms of amount of work, but I find that the work we have is challenging and keeps my mind intrigued and stimulated. I'm in the Justice Studies program and I love it, the profs are great, friendly and very well educated in their field, many have even written some fantastic books. I like the smaller class sizes (lecture halls aren't my learning style) and I find that the atmosphere has a very relieving feeling of open mindedness and balanced with some traditional stability. I can't speak for other programs, but the ones I've experienced, and the classes I've taken are top notch. My experience with financial aid has also been outstanding, I've always had enough money for tuition and housing and usually ample amount left over for a new laptop and other necessities. They will work with you, just like every other department. I am not always a fan of the dining hall food, but it isn't bad, and much better than many universities.My advice would simply be to not expect to go here and expect a free ride, that profs will always cater to you, and I also suggest that before picking a degree path that you look at the "market value" of that degree and not expect to have a job waiting for you when you graduate. In this economy, you aren't a person, you're a commodity and need the right price tag before you can get a great job. PSU is a university that if you get yourself squared away and do what you need to do, you'll be golden.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
I finished the BSEET degree in May 2010,BrightElectrical Engineering
I finished the BSEET degree in May 2010, and the only job I can get is a truck driver job. Although I didn't need to go to this school to be a truck driver. I had this skill before I went to college. The BSEET degree was supposed to help me get some kind of career going in electronics, but this school didn't really teach anything that is marketable. Don't go to this college because it is cheap. It is expensive to put your life on hold to do this nonsense. They are now giving away the BSEET degree as part of job green jobs act. So now this degree is even a bigger piece of garbage
5th Year Male -- Class 2010