StudentsReview :: Asbury University - Comments and Student Experiences

Taylor University -- Upland, IN
Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL

Asbury University

I would say it was the best choiceEnglish
I would say it was the best choice for me at that stage of my life. There were challenges for me, and no school is perfect, but ultimately, when I came out I had a great education, friends for life, and a knowledge that I was prepared for the next stage of my life. I recently went back to visit, and after 7 years, several professors immediately greeted me by name and remembered all about my life. They were consistently there for me, encouraging me, and willing to do all they could to help me. I have since been in a similar school for grad school, and every single day I realized more and more how good I had it at Asbury. Many of my friends have gone on to really good jobs, and are very successful in business, media/com, medical field (doctors/NP, etc.), and doing some great research in the education field. Almost all of my friends have gone on to be very successful in grad school and most are working in their chosen field very successfully. This school is not for people who are attending school to party. The point of this school is education, and encouraging men and women to develop character. Every school has its downside, but I would say that for a quality education, Asbury is right up there. I would say that if a student is just trying to get by, and doesn't want to work hard, it might not be a good fit. However, for students that are genuinely wanting to succeed, and are not afraid of being pushed (at least I personally know in the fields of education, English, all sciences, business, and media/com -others also will probably apply but I don't know them personally) it would be definitely a school to consider.
My college experience at Asbury was positively formativePerfomance Arts
My college experience at Asbury was positively formative in both senses: It was unparalleled in the growth it encouraged in me as a person and that growth was positive.

Since I do not have a job yet it is unfair for me to state how well the school prepared me, but I can say that, while still a student there, I got to work (for pay!) at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 in China.

Any college will make you grow as a person because of the people you meet and because that's just the kind of age you're at in college, but as an extremely shy, introverted Christian I would not have thrived as well at another school. At Asbury I experienced a safe, supportive community and still got life experience.

Yes Asbury is Christian, but almost everyone there is lovingly so, and despite the rules I did end up having opportunities to get drunk, have sex, and smoke pot. That's not to say I did, just that the opportunities were there in a very low pressure way which forced me to consider my stance on each.

I was a double major in Media and Performance and as such had a pretty wide-ranging experience with teachers. Every teacher I had there knows what they are doing and the media teachers are all actual industry professionals (They just hired Barry Blair from Audio Adrenaline as their new audio teacher). Another huge benefit is that you get to become friends with these people. My biggest class there had less than 30 people and on average the classes had about 8-12 people. The teachers are passionate people, and even classes outside of my major were well worth it (particularly Shakespeare with Dr. Dan Strait!).Finally, my advice to you is to visit any campus you are considering. I loved the Asbury programs, but was almost scared off by the rules. I visited, met the students, and realized I belonged here. Figure out what categories you generally have an interest in and visit the schools that teach those areas well!

I found my experience at Asbury University toBrightSocial Work
I found my experience at Asbury University to be one of the great highlights of my life to date. Asbury is about seeking Truth and giving grace. If that's what you are looking for, Asbury is a great place to start. Throw out the idea that any place is perfect, but open your heart to a great challenge and a wonderful place to grow.
4th Year Female -- Class 1983