StudentsReview :: Berea College - Comments and Student Experiences

Berea College

If you're looking for a place where youNot so brightAccounting
If you're looking for a place where you can get a real education without going into debt, I urge you to keep looking.

Berea college may look great from the outside. The "Zero-tuition promise" is something all of us here have fallen for. Plus if you look at the classes available you might find some interesting ones. But I can tell you right here, right now, that you aren't going to be learning anything.You can't actually sign up for those interesting classes. That's what they keep from you until the moment you're all moved in and "It's too late to turn back now!". Instead you're given a list of requirements that THEY want you to meet. So many of them that by the time you're ready to do what's interesting to you, you've graduated. The classes are all several hours of basic busywork that you have to complete every day. This is on top of the non-academic labor you're required to do as a student. There will be no time in your day to learn. This place takes away from your education.

4th Year Female -- Class 1925
Also, despite the pervasive "woke" culture, the institutionAnimal Studies
Also, despite the pervasive "woke" culture, the institution as a whole is incredibly racist. You are in the middle of Kentucky at an institution mainly attended by the most racist demographics.

As a work-study college, students hold most labor positions that run the institution. That means minor infractions result in getting yelled at by egoist white male and female students and by some blacks. For example, I broke a rule by taking out the library room key for a few minutes. The key was not supposed to be taken out, but if done by a white student, it would get ignored or, at worst, met with a gentle reminder. Instead, the white female library attendant came out and yelled at me. It was as if I murdered her whole family. There's no way you could hold them accountable for their behaviors; their superiors would always defend them. The pervasive "woke" culture meant every department was competing to be the "least racist." They always covered up the apparent racism.

You can see the pattern in everyday life. I'll give you more examples. In a writing class, the professor made it mandatory to meet with a writing assistant. The white female writing assistant spent 45 minutes aggressively lecturing me on minor issues she found in my writing, which in any case was far superior to hers. The aggression--so vicious and completely unprovoked--destroyed my two weeks. I couldn't do anything. What did I do to her to deserve those senseless attacks? Of course, they took no action, never apologized, and ruined my semester.

On another occasion, I was fined 500$ by a white female student for canceling a trip. There was no fine mentioned on the signup page or anywhere for that matter. Later, I found out that three other students who also canceled it were charged no fine. The white lady was targeting me since she couldn't lash out at others who belonged to more powerful groups. Instead of apologizing for blatant racism and fake fines, the department waited forever to reply and left me anxious regarding the fines. They never replied whether the fine would be issued and left me in a state of anxiety for two months. You earned 130$ a month, and a 500$ fine meant not making anything for four months.

In classes, racism was an everyday issue. There was a class where the professor asked to "grade one another." My grade came out the lowest. Racism was so bad that the professor had to cancel the grading and grade everyone by himself. He gave me an A. Whenever white TAs graded my work, I got the impression that they were mainly finding faults to get an ego trip. Some black TAs also did the same.

In most cases, professors didn't care. If they did care, they would just change the grades but never let the TAs know. The TAs continued to inflict heavy damage on your psyche. It's so bad that I couldn't force myself to do assignments anymore after the second semester. In addition, the homework assignments were bland, riddled with errors, intellectually tepid, and all-around useless as far as learning was concerned. It was slavery in which I gained nothing and was used to keep their jobs. As I said, the professors want to control your life down to the minute. If you take a week to recover from racist incidents, you can get no more than a "C." Moreover, they would judge you as lazy.

If I write all instances of racism, I could write a whole book. At work, I was bombarded with racist attacks over a survey email. In a group project, white and Hispanic teammates removed the entirety of my contributions because they couldn't understand it. As I said, I could write a book. The "counseling service" was not helpful since they tried to attach a label on your symptoms and saw it as "your problem." Get angry over racist attacks? Maybe you have an "anger problem" and so on.Last but not least, I didn't realize those until I graduated. I didn't call those instances racism while I was there. I had no idea about US racial dynamics. The amount of racism you experience depends on your group. Women are not considered a threat by men and experience far less racism (although targeted for sexism). I guess less racism for blacks (at the college) and none at all for whites due to the political powers of those groups. The black people were a mix. Some were great friends, but others themselves held racist views against Asians and other minorities. The least racist, ironically, were some old conservative folks. I had good times with them on the farms and at my work.

The college is a cartel of professors andNot so bright
The college is a cartel of professors and staff. The board of trustees is some self-perpetuating body that rarely meets and has little power. The faculty and staff make all decisions to benefit themselves at whatever cost to the students. Imagine it has been going on for 200 years. The result is Berea College, a plantation in all but name. It's quite a contradiction that the college takes pride in being the first non-segregated college.

You need 32 credits to graduate. The "general studies" alone takes about 12 to fill up so many blotched departments that no longer have students. For what? To give professors a job. The classes are bland and useless. Each professor gives out 8 hours of busy work every week to occupy your time. They think of your time as "their own" that must be occupied. If not, they feel like a slave owner not putting her slaves to work.

Freedom from responsibility and accountability is their hallmark trait. One professor was playing video games in his office. I asked him why he never stated his requirements in the homework. He replied, "I don't have time." It's funny that the "requirements" came out only after you submitted the assignments. Nobody seemed to notice the contradiction. Once or twice, I very, very politely gave them a suggestion; the professors were downright enraged. One urged me to drop out. Here is a lesson for you: never make the mistake of complaining (even politely) about their judgments. I once had a department chair who repeatedly assured me that she investigated the TA grading was fair. It later turned out that she didn't even bother to read my emails and replied after reading the subject lines.

Apart from the professors, the TAs were another class of slave owners. They were primarily appointed based on race, religion, and gender. Depending on the departments, some of them may have total control over your grades, even though they might not even understand the materials they are grading. As my friends later confirmed, some were aiming at me (due to complicated politics I won't discuss here). They gave me failing grades for questions that are impossible to get wrong (e.g., what did you do in the morning?). Is the prof unclear, dull, or unable to state what he wants? Your grade gets deducted. Is the TA stupid? Your grade gets deducted. Take it with you: it's all your fault, always.The idea of this college is simple: they will do whatever they want. The education is free! I was punched three times, but they didn't take any action. They don't want to be in the news: the cartel must not be ruined. A staff member had a funny idea to mix everyone else to promote "diversity." I was forced to room with a guy for three months, during which he stole my belongings and punched me in the face. Again, no action was taken, despite several emotional pleas. To think back, I was like a bony dog begging for a bone from Hitler. Well, I might have gotten one from Hitler in reality.There were so many worse events I won't discuss here for privacy. When I graduated, my mental health was completely destroyed. It was like getting raped every day for four years. I couldn't function at all for almost a year. It's only luck (and my ascetic upbringing) that I came out alive. Five students who committed suicide during my time there were not so lucky. Hopefully, I helped you decide.

4th Year Female -- Class 1999