StudentsReview :: Berea College - Comments and Student Experiences

Berea College

I received a very

Apr 07 2003English
I received a very high quality education here; but I would have definitely chosen to go to a different college if I could afford it. Campus and the surrounding village are uninhabitable...
4th Year Male -- Class 2002
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F

This school does not

Jun 18 2003Accounting
This school does not give you very much freedom. I feel by the time I am 21 I should be able to do what I want and make my own decisions. It is however a challenging school if you take your academics seriously.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2004
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C-

The college bills itself as a Christian college

Apr 21 2002Education
The college bills itself as a Christian college. If that makes you think Bible college, or that a Christian world view is what is taught in the classes, you have the wrong idea. The college is pretty liberal, both in administration/college policies and in the way that professors approach their subjects in class.

There are a number of student groups on campus that allow for Christian discussions and support.
The college would not be a Christian green house that will protect and nurture faith. It is instead a private liberal arts college that will challenge your faith and hopefully cause you to grow.

At Berea College there is a sense of being able to meet just about every kind of person that you would run across in society. What makes Berea unique is that a conservative Christian can sit down and talk with an anarchist or a homosexual rights student activist and have a civilized conversation. I'm the former, but I count some of the people with views very opposed to my own as friends. That is what makes Berea college unique and worth attending. Well, the atmosphere I just described and the fact that there is no charge for tuition, if you get accepted. Getting accepted isn't easy here, so good luck.

I hope that more African-American students will apply. The college founder started the school with a 50/50 black and white enrollment. That was changed by a state law aimed at Berea that the college lost in the Supreme Court, so Berea segregated until Brown vs. Board of Education. The college is having a hard time finding African-American students to apply.

Please apply to Berea College, regardless of who you are. I think you will find that this school will do a lot of good for you in the long run. Best wishes!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2004