StudentsReview :: Berea College - Comments and Student Experiences

Berea College

students are numbers

Oct 10 2009Art & Design Department
students are numbers. berea is a cash cow for the bureacrats. teachers and students are squeezed while bureacrats rake in the bucks. quality of education was disappointing. they give a lot of busy work. they force you to juggle a lot of stuff....work, convos, classes,none of which is terribly stimulating. the department i was in was very disappointing. lack of professionalism. lack of high standards for art majors. very non supportive. for a college department it felt more like high school. a waste of time and money.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

I applied to Berea this year as an

Mar 17 2009Unknown
I applied to Berea this year as an incoming freshman.I applied around thanksgiving and took a campus tour I was really impressed and very excited to attend Berea, as I've wanted to go there since Sophomore year of High School.I was lead to believe that my chances of getting in were very high.However, after several months of waiting for my letter(I was told I'd know by Christmas break or the beginning of January), I was beginning to lose hope.So I called...a lot.Eventually my guidence counselor at the school told me that my math scores on my ACT were low and I'd need to take remedial math.I've always had trouble in math, I knew I'd have to take a remedial course.However, the fact that the school told me this was an issue AFTER the deadlines for the ACT.If I waited until the next one to re-take it,the test wouldn't have had time to get to the school before the decision regarding my admission was made. So because the college didn't tell me that this would affect my admission until too late for me to change it,it is a red flag to me that the school is either uncaring or unorganized as far as students.I have missed numerous scholarship oppurtunities at other colleges which has really set me back.Berea was supposed to be the way that i could pay for college, but instead Berea College has further hurt my chances of being able to afford college.I dont't recommend applying unless you've had a baby or you don't mind being looked down on by the professors.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Aesthetics: A, Collaboration/Competitive: D

As anyone will point out the "city" nearby

Apr 05 2009Chemistry
As anyone will point out the "city" nearby is non-existent. If this is what you want then do not even apply. The school has a good reputation but honestly it depends on what your interest is. The sciences are great from my experience. Math and computer science departments are shabby but will get you by. The history department is okay once you get past the intro level stuff. The intro classes in the history department are too much like high school... hold your hands and baby you type things which I hate. And if your high school history program was any bit credible then you will be bored until you take 300 level courses.

The general studies course work is a joke even though they are required. I did more in high school than these courses require. I was bored to death in nearly all of them. And they get in the way of what I came to do... learn. Most of the courses are busy-work not useful information. Only one of the six courses was helpful.

The chemistry major is excellent. The professors are extremely approachable. And they have many connections to help you find opportunities along the way, if you show quality work. Although I took some math courses up to differential equations, I found the mathematical methods course from the physics department to be more useful. An entire semester spent on teaching simple integration is absurd. At most 4 weeks if you go slow with an additional week spent on the theory (Riemann sum). Similar problem with differential equations. Two weeks performing substitution (x(t)=exp^(ikt)) is enough. We spent over 6 weeks on forms of x(t)=exp^(kt) alone before expanding to the sinusoidal relation.

The introductory computer science course "Introduction to internet programming" has similar dilemmas. I personally did not take the course because of the waste of time. I taught myself more in 3 months than they covered in 4 months, and I have never taking a computer science course nor am I a genius by any definition. Few know how to use styles-sheets or much java-scripting. I developed websites for a couple on campus organizations and I had to teach friends how to maintain the website. Even though they took the course, they seemed lost when I tried to explain how to use a styles-sheet (I found out it was mentioned only passively... useless) and it was not their fault if grades reflect anything. Much of the same reason kept me from even considering any further courses from the computer science department.

The lack of a geology program severely hurts. I may have considered a double major of geology and chemistry or at least a chemistry major with minors in history and geology if I could have.

On campus living sucks. The attitude is since you pay little your housing and other decisions can be made for you. Arguments can be made for and against this, I leave this to the audience. I came for an education not luxury living. And the education is more about the experiences than just course work which students often miss here and at other colleges/universities.

If you are worried about making money then as others will point out, this is not the place. However, college students are generally not included in the Forbes 500 either. So if you are concerned about education then put the financial issues where they belong a backseat priority to your education.My suggestion to any in coming student where ever you go, do some research. If there is a general area i.e. science or humanities of interest in high school then check out the college/university of interest for their program strength.

4th Year Male -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

University of California Irvine (CA) 3:positive