StudentsReview ™ :: Berea College - Comments and Student Experiences

Berea College

I have had nothing but problems since coming

Nov 20 2011Nursing
I have had nothing but problems since coming to Berea. The faculty lie, cheat and do not care who they hurt. I have had no help when faced with major issues and they have ABSOLUTELY no respect for single parents, or parents of any kind for that matter. Your child gets ill? Too bad, fail your classes or go knock on random neighbors' doors to see if someone will watch them. They would rather ignore you and pretend your arguments are invalid to even lift a finger to help you. My classmates have treated me either neutral or like I'm a complete moron. I have never felt more ridiculed anywhere in my life. Sadly, because Berea requires courses no one else requires, I can't leave. I had planned on going to grad school, but making THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE and coming here has squashed that dream. Save yourself the heartache - take out loans and go elsewhere!!!! You will be LUCKY to get a C in ANY class in the nursing major, and good luck getting any help. It's not because I lack intelligence - PLEASE, I get straight As in every other class - it's that the professors barely make an effort with you.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F

Just because they offer scholarships doesn't mean that

Nov 10 2010Chemistry
Just because they offer scholarships doesn't mean that it is best for you. Save yourself, this is a liberal arts school so you will not specialize in your field. You'll have to take required courses; which are a waste of time if you're not interested in them.

The science professors are full of themselves (not all of them but definitely some key people) and they're full of favoritism. Instead of giving you advice or help, they'll just look down on you when you don't understand the material. On top of that, they accept students who already had experience taking the science course so naturally it is easier for some people to get the material but what about the ones who are just new going to college? If I had to make the choice again, I would have not gone. I would pay another college that will teach me my field and not waste 4 years.

4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Faculty Accessibility: F

students are numbers

Oct 10 2009Art & Design Department
students are numbers. berea is a cash cow for the bureacrats. teachers and students are squeezed while bureacrats rake in the bucks. quality of education was disappointing. they give a lot of busy work. they force you to juggle a lot of stuff....work, convos, classes,none of which is terribly stimulating. the department i was in was very disappointing. lack of professionalism. lack of high standards for art majors. very non supportive. for a college department it felt more like high school. a waste of time and money.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010