StudentsReview :: Berea College - Comments and Student Experiences

Berea College

I have had nothing but problems since coming

Nov 20 2011Nursing
I have had nothing but problems since coming to Berea. The faculty lie, cheat and do not care who they hurt. I have had no help when faced with major issues and they have ABSOLUTELY no respect for single parents, or parents of any kind for that matter. Your child gets ill? Too bad, fail your classes or go knock on random neighbors' doors to see if someone will watch them. They would rather ignore you and pretend your arguments are invalid to even lift a finger to help you. My classmates have treated me either neutral or like I'm a complete moron. I have never felt more ridiculed anywhere in my life. Sadly, because Berea requires courses no one else requires, I can't leave. I had planned on going to grad school, but making THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE and coming here has squashed that dream. Save yourself the heartache - take out loans and go elsewhere!!!! You will be LUCKY to get a C in ANY class in the nursing major, and good luck getting any help. It's not because I lack intelligence - PLEASE, I get straight As in every other class - it's that the professors barely make an effort with you.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F

Just because they offer scholarships doesn't mean that

Nov 10 2010Chemistry
Just because they offer scholarships doesn't mean that it is best for you. Save yourself, this is a liberal arts school so you will not specialize in your field. You'll have to take required courses; which are a waste of time if you're not interested in them.

The science professors are full of themselves (not all of them but definitely some key people) and they're full of favoritism. Instead of giving you advice or help, they'll just look down on you when you don't understand the material. On top of that, they accept students who already had experience taking the science course so naturally it is easier for some people to get the material but what about the ones who are just new going to college? If I had to make the choice again, I would have not gone. I would pay another college that will teach me my field and not waste 4 years.

4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Faculty Accessibility: F

Not a very progressive school in action in

Jun 21 2014Art & Design Department
Not a very progressive school in action in terms of diversity. Few Black Students, Few Gay Students, Few Jewish Students. The teachers in my department were not very up to date in their field. I attended graduate school and had to do a lot of catch up of material never covered. No co-ed dorms and you are pretty much treated as a kid. I moved to a large city after this and it was like starting over again getting used to diversity. There is very little alumni outreach other than asking for money and trying to engage is not really appreciated. Very insulated to itself. The people I met after college from the North East really showed me what a quality education can do in terms of thought and diverse thinking. Most students go there because the tuition is cheap but the life experience is backwards. If you can afford a college with a more liberal administration go there. All the presidents have been white heterosexual married men so that tells you everything. If you are a white heterosexual male this place thinks like that. Warren Wilson would be a much better choice and if I had been better informed I would have sought a more liberal college experience for undergraduate studies.
Starting Job: Manager Preparedness: D+ Reputation: C-