StudentsReview :: Centre College - Comments and Student Experiences

Centre College

The art department is awesome, except for StevenQuite BrightArt & Design Department
The art department is awesome, except for Steven Powell, the glassblower. He has this exclusive 'good ol boys club' of his glassblowing students that work for him. He is an asshole in class, and it's usually his upper level students who end up teaching. I know large universities have TA's and all, but Centre College is about having a personal education and prides its reputation on a wonderful faculty. I would say take Steve Powell out of the picture and the art department would be a wonderful, harmonious place. And, if you're a 2D or Art History major, you don't ever have to take his class so you can get around him if you wish.

The college prides itsself on being challenging, they like to keep the student body at a B- average, so the professors stick to a curve. I felt like there were several instances when students who worked as hard or harder than their peers became victims of the curve, which is not objective. My major complaint about the college is that I was not graded on my understanding and knowledge, but on that of my classmates. There are lots of very intelligent students at Centre, so this makes life a little tough when you're applying to graduate schools with a b/b- gpa from centre, competing with students from state schools who have 3.5 gpa or higher who might not have been admitted to Centre based on aptitude. I have been fortunate to have WONDERFUL professors! getting rec letters was no sweat - I visited their homes, went on international trips, and got to know them as mentors in the most personal sense. The faculty at Centre is awesome and definatly goes out of their way for their students, even under the constraints of the grading curve. They are also all PhD's with tons of experience, rather than other students teaching students or instructors without english fluency.

4th Year Female -- Class 2007
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: F
I graduated from Centre in the early 1980's.History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I graduated from Centre in the early 1980's. I came from a small town in Ky.. a real green horn depsite coming from a family with two parents who were both well educated professionals. Centre was a place that was comfortable both in terms of relationships with other students as well as professors. This comfort allowed me to "find my feet" so to speak. Honestly, if I had been thrust into a different environment I might have well fallen flat on my face.

During my tenure the fraternities dominated social life. It is quite accepted now to bash the greek system and perhaps with some legitimacy but this again gave me a place to grow socially among a group with whom you shared a special bond and who looked out after each other. The parties were numerous and loud when I was there with "rush" being all semester long with Tuesday as well as Friday and Saturday nights being party nights for a full six months. Alchohol flowed freely and the college didn't enforce any drinking laws but again it was a safe environment in which to pass this ritual to adulthood. We used to sit on the front stoop with a keg while the Dean's lodging was less than a hundred yards away! All the fraternities were within a short walk, the quad as it was called, and we went to each others parties and the rivalries were good natured and without serious incident really. Since then the residential aspect of greek life has been minimized by the college with the frats being all placed further on the edge of compass and fewer lives ins being allowed. I don't wish to belabor this point but I found it fascinating that so many others would consider a party during their college years an open bottle in a dorm room or meeting at a local bar. Call it sheltered if you will but I cherished what I experienced socially at Centre

I had wonderfull professors in the history department.. many of whom I have called up over the years to say hello or to get their advice. I considered not one but four or five of them mentors and friends. I sent flowers to the funeral service of one who passed away.. how many other alumns can say that sort of relationship existed where they attended college?

I cannot speak for others but I had fraternity brothers in my graduating class who went on the sucessfull careers in law, medicine and the military.. virtually all really and they did so without being bookworms.. there was a nice balance at Centre.The only real negative I have to say about Centre is that outside the state of KY there is no recognition for the name. I have found this frustrating to a degree but again your degree is what you make of it. The president of the college for most of the time I was there was Thomas Spragans. He passed away to that long ago which surprised me because he seemed ancient when I was there. Anyway, he would give lecters to the student body as a whole and envariably make mention of an obscur statement Woodrow Wilson had once made comparing Centre to Princeton. I think this recollection pretty well sums up my feelings on this point.

Centre College gave me a first rate educationPhysics
Centre College gave me a first rate education in a beautiful smalltown. Professors Push you to the limit in order to achieve the highest possible result. The social scene is also a winning factor. You wouldn't think being in a small town would be any fun, but because you're in a small town, everyone gets to know each other more intimately. These friendships, as well as pride in the school, last a lifetime.

Beware of people who give negative feedback about Centre. These people are usually those who could not live up to the academic standards and blame this not on their own work ethic, but on the professors. I know there are professors at Centre that don't live up to standards. As a whole, however, the professors as well as the educational system are quite exceptional.The only true downside to Centre is that their PR campaign is lackluster at best. What this means is that if you try to get a job out of the state, you can't expect an employer to know the reputation of Centre. However, you will still very well prepared.

Compare CentreSave Centre