StudentsReview :: Centre College - Comments and Student Experiences

Centre College

Going to Centre wasQuite BrightBiology
Going to Centre was the best decision I've ever made. I know few people who enjoyed college as much as I did, and learned as much as I did in school.
4th Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B+
I love Centre.Quite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I love Centre. It you want a small school that offers a great education and lots of personal attention then Centre is the place for you. The students are bright and the faculty are amazing. The quality of teaching has blown me away. The professors are almost all PhD's and most of their degrees are from very prestigious universities. They take a genuine interest in their students from day one. They don't just learn your name-- they play intermural sports with you, invite you into their homes for dinner, and always have an open office door.

Make no mistake , Centre is tough. Grade deflation is a reality but alums report that the Centre experience prepares you well for jobs and grad school. The Centre Mafia has your back when it comes those coveted jobs and places in grad school. Study abroad is the signature Centre experience because we run our own programs and use our own faculty. The vast majority of students do this and it is often their favorite Centre memory.

Danville is a nice place to go to school because it is small town usa. The locals are friendly and the town has a great relationship with the school. Night life is lacking outside of fraternity parties, but you can always find something to do with friends. The town recently went wet so bars will be a reality this year. Centre is very Greek with about half of the student body participating in social greek letter organizations. The greek scene is also very laid back which makes it less intimidating. Centre is best described as the way college is supposed to be. The students study hard, play hard, and make bonds that last a lifetime. They do it all then go out in the real world to make a name for themselves and their alma mater. :)

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C
I graduated from Centre in the early 1980's.History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I graduated from Centre in the early 1980's. I came from a small town in Ky.. a real green horn depsite coming from a family with two parents who were both well educated professionals. Centre was a place that was comfortable both in terms of relationships with other students as well as professors. This comfort allowed me to "find my feet" so to speak. Honestly, if I had been thrust into a different environment I might have well fallen flat on my face.

During my tenure the fraternities dominated social life. It is quite accepted now to bash the greek system and perhaps with some legitimacy but this again gave me a place to grow socially among a group with whom you shared a special bond and who looked out after each other. The parties were numerous and loud when I was there with "rush" being all semester long with Tuesday as well as Friday and Saturday nights being party nights for a full six months. Alchohol flowed freely and the college didn't enforce any drinking laws but again it was a safe environment in which to pass this ritual to adulthood. We used to sit on the front stoop with a keg while the Dean's lodging was less than a hundred yards away! All the fraternities were within a short walk, the quad as it was called, and we went to each others parties and the rivalries were good natured and without serious incident really. Since then the residential aspect of greek life has been minimized by the college with the frats being all placed further on the edge of compass and fewer lives ins being allowed. I don't wish to belabor this point but I found it fascinating that so many others would consider a party during their college years an open bottle in a dorm room or meeting at a local bar. Call it sheltered if you will but I cherished what I experienced socially at Centre

I had wonderfull professors in the history department.. many of whom I have called up over the years to say hello or to get their advice. I considered not one but four or five of them mentors and friends. I sent flowers to the funeral service of one who passed away.. how many other alumns can say that sort of relationship existed where they attended college?

I cannot speak for others but I had fraternity brothers in my graduating class who went on the sucessfull careers in law, medicine and the military.. virtually all really and they did so without being bookworms.. there was a nice balance at Centre.The only real negative I have to say about Centre is that outside the state of KY there is no recognition for the name. I have found this frustrating to a degree but again your degree is what you make of it. The president of the college for most of the time I was there was Thomas Spragans. He passed away to that long ago which surprised me because he seemed ancient when I was there. Anyway, he would give lecters to the student body as a whole and envariably make mention of an obscur statement Woodrow Wilson had once made comparing Centre to Princeton. I think this recollection pretty well sums up my feelings on this point.

Compare CentreSave Centre