The University of Kentucky will be one of the
nation's 20 best public research universities, an institution recognized world-wide
for excellence in teaching, research, and service and a catalyst
for intellectual, social, cultural, and economic development.
University of Kentucky is a public, research-extensive, land grant university
dedicated to improving people's lives through excellence in teaching, research,
health care, cultural enrichment, and economic development.
The University of
• Facilitates learning, informed by scholarship and research.
• Expands knowledge through research, scholarship and creative activity.
Serves a global community by disseminating, sharing and applying knowledge.
The University, as the flagship institution, plays a critical leadership
role for the Commonwealth by contributing to the economic development
and quality of life within Kentucky's borders and beyond.
University nurtures a diverse community characterized by fairness and equal
The values of the University guide its
decisions and the behavior of its community. Its core values
• Academic excellence and academic freedom
• Mutual respect and human dignity
• Personal and institutional responsibility and accountability
• A sense of community
Sensitivity to work-life concerns
• Civic responsibility
Service to society