StudentsReview :: Dillard University - Comments and Student Experiences

Howard University -- Washington, DC

Dillard University

I just completed my first year at Dillard

May 24 2014Biology
I just completed my first year at Dillard University. I was at first denied to attend in the fall of 2014 although, my test scores were high and my high GPA was a 3.5. They accepted me on such short notice so I had to book my flight and everything at the last minute. Dillard did not offer me any scholarship or anything so I took out loans and paid with financial aid. Dillard puts up this whole fa?ade for you saying that they're the best in this department and what not for incoming students and they only do this for money.

When I first arrived on campus, the girls were staying in Williams Hall which I believe used to be co-ed or whatever. When I first walked in it smelled like Mildew, as if there were a flood, and Urine. There were roaches and weird bugs and not to mention there BLACK MOLD which is very harmful to the human body and I did get sick because of that. I told the maintenance people and all they did was paint over the black mold. Yes. True story.

The campus life sucks, it is very small so you will see the same people EVERY day and it gets pretty annoying. It is really dead nothing really happens on campus and there aren't really any fun activities for the students to engage in. Homecoming week was boring, the basketball team SUCKS and there isn't a football team. Not to mention, you will know almost everybody that attends the school before the first semester is over and everybody will get in your business and rumors will tend to float all around the campus because everybody there is messy.

By the second semester I regret ever coming to Dillard but New Orleans is a ok city but if you come from a more urban city like Chicago, San Francisco, or Los Angeles it is more slow paced. Downtown and the french quarters eventually becomes a bit tiresome and repetitive but if you want to do some activities that doesn't involve being drunk or dry humping at a party, you have to look outside of your surroundings such ass Metairie or Kenner.

The workers in Business & Finance office are VERY rude and moody. A few times I had to check them about their attitude. Some professors are helpful and some that work there should not even be teaching because they are lazy as hell. If you are a first year student or an incoming student I would advise you to physically look at the school before you even make your decision on which school you will be attending in the fall or spring semester and come when the school is in session. So far I haven't suggested anybody that I know back at home to attend Dillard because it isn't even worth the money. I regret that I wasted my first year in college at this institution.

Surrounding City: B+, Education Quality: F

school is weak, boring,

Mar 10 2013Psychology
school is weak, boring, too small , not enough females you will know them in about one semester and they get old fast. ONly good thing is the school work is easy and its isnt hard to get a 3.5 and above here easily
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Friendliness: B+, Education Quality: F

Dillard University is not at all what I

Aug 05 2014Criminal
Dillard University is not at all what I expected it to be. Having taken AP/Honors courses throughout the majority of my primary education, I can honestly say, middle school presented more of an academic challenge than Dillard does. I'm highly unappreciative of the lack of communication and professionalism at this school, and if given the chance, I would definitely transfer. Being that I am a 3rd year student, it is nearly impossible to transfer without having some credits dropped, meaning I'd have to repeat my sophomore year if I decided to do so. With that in mind, I've decided to complete my college education here, but choosing to attend Dillard was by the worst decision I've ever made. New Orleans itself was definitely a culture shock for me considering the fact that I'm from out of state, but being surrounded by so many people who don't care about their education baffles me. The staff and faculty members are extremely unprofessional and rude, and the majority of the professors I've had seem to not understand that they're teaching at a higher level, and so they don't hold students accountable for any of their actions. I've had professors who walk into class at least 10 minutes late EVERY class period and think nothing of it. Time is money, and if I spend my good $29,000 each year, I shouldn't be wasting time wondering where my professor is because he doesn't seem to think that his job is important enough to arrive on time. Financial Aid and Business and Finance are two of the most difficult departments to get a hold of during any time of the year, considering the fact that they rarely answer the phone, and aren't in their offices during their "posted" office hours. The same applies to some of the professors. There have been days I've spent hunting down professors because they weren't in their offices when they should've been. The lack of efficient communication irks me to no end. For instance, professors will just not show up to class with no notice prior to, and won't think twice about it at all. The type of people I'm surrounded by at Dillard has caused me to not even want to interact with any of them at all, and as a result, I've been isolated for the majority of the time I've spent there. Of course there are campus organizations and activities, but they get old after a while, especially when the lack of creativity is apparent. Anything I've learned came from self-determination because sitting in any classes at Dillard has been a challenge. There are students who think they're going to be engineers but will proudly tell you they don't care that they're failing basic chemistry. It is a complete mess. Residential life is horrible. Any issues I've had with my dorm or roommates weren't resolved in timely matters, and were often disregarded by the residential life coordinators. Considering that Dillard is a very small campus, it would be wise to keep your business of any kind to yourself because rumors, true and untrue spread like wildfire. Should you decide to attend this school, I wish you the best of luck. You'll need it.