StudentsReview :: Louisiana Tech University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 0
Males 5
Avg years at University 2.2
Research Quality C (4.6)
Research Availability B (6.5)
Research Funding C+ (5.7)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.1)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.6)
Degree Completion A- (8.3)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (3.5)
Sufficient Pay D+ (3.4)
Competitiveness B- (6.1)
Education Quality C+ (5.4)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.3)
Useful Research A- (8.5)
"Individual" treatment A (9.2)
Friendliness A- (8.6)
Safety A (9.2)
Campus Beauty B (6.9)
Campus Maintenance B+ (8.1)
University Spending B- (5.9)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.4)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.4)
Surrounding City D (2.2)
Social Life/ Environment D+ (2.9)
Surrounding CityD
SafetyA
You are told you have the freedom andFeb 04 2017Art & Design Department
You are told you have the freedom and opportunity to explore areas you are interested in as an artist. Instead they bog you down with classes full of busy work, give you no freedom to explore your interests and don't have the resources or the professors available to support these endeavors. Your direction of study is a one way study. There is no point in even getting advised because the classes you are taking are predetermined and unwavering.
I'd approach the doctoral programs for this departmentJan 27 2016Education
I'd approach the doctoral programs for this department with caution. They seem to have been forced into a reorganization by the state legislature, and not all curriculum details are ironed out yet. I completed 2 courses, one required methods and one of the required subject area courses. Both were primarily online or video-led courses. The subject area course had introductory information online and then didn't meet again for 4 weeks with no explanation. The methods class was entirely do-it-yourself. Course directors for both courses did not always respond to e-mails. I was marked down 25 points on my final project for the methods class with no explanation, even after I asked for one.

I did meet with the department head during the middle of the one quarter I attended, to ask about the subject area course and make sure I was enrolled in the correct section. He was friendly and he did help, to the extent he could. But it didn't change the experience I had. Plus department chairs can't be responsible for everything - why did I have to go to him in the first place?

Dissertation committee formation was haphazard at best, though the committee I formed was friendly.
I have previous graduate degrees from accredited institutions so I feel like I am able to make valid comments on my experiences here. I am also aware doctoral work is supposed to require significant individual effort. But individual effort isn't the same as being left to twist in the wind. There is a limit to how much students can do, whether they are undergraduate or graduate students, when faculty are not responsive, or are responsive only at the last minute.

My overall impression was of a faculty who are friendly but not very effective.I was charged tuition for 2 classes although I was really only offered 1.5 classes. And for the one class offered the entire quarter, I didn't even get a clear explanation of my performance (or apparent lack thereof). How is that instructional? I frankly wish I could ask for my money back.

I have been a Grad student at LouisianaJan 14 2016Art & Design Department
I have been a Grad student at Louisiana tech for some time. If someone were to ask my advise and wanting to know if the Grad program at Louisiana Tech was geared to helping you become a successful artist, the answer is most definitely No! The students are so incredibly overloaded with irrelevant and lengthy readings, paper writing, unrealistic deadlines, ridiculous assignments, ridiculously repetitive meetings and other extra, manditory activities that the artists who are there to learn cannot possibly keep up. Much less secceed. Especially when you are expected to maintaining and creating a body of good work needed to be a successful artist.

In my view the cause of this is a faculty who, all of which, have recently started teaching. Not only are the faculty not successful artists themselves but do not have the necessary experience to teach the craft. Included with the symptoms of being new is an appaernt "eager beaver" attitude. This is where the overloaded aspect comes in. They don't know too much when they see it. And if the faculty sences an issue with the student body they immediately begin scheduling more meetings with the students, waisting more time.

Each Grad student is required to have 3 committee meetings a quarter. A hefty task with a quarter system. Not only that but we are required to have a Larger faculty meeting at the end of the quarter. That makes 4. Just today it was announced that we will be having an additional critique meeting with all of the other grad students. So 5 in one quarter Thats their answer to everything, more, more, more. The curriculum, instead of helping you to succeed, is clearly designed to break you. Overall this has been a negative experience.I love learning and making art. I have always been a very hard working and dedicated artist. However, the work load and expectations at this school are nothing short of ridiculous and I regret having attempted an Graduate education here.

I am doing my masters here in ElectricalOct 05 2009Electrical Engineering
I am doing my masters here in Electrical Engineering. This university is graveyard for electrical engieers. Except one or two faculty, most of them need to go to school themselves. Department head of 208-2009 was most ridiculous person. He dosen't anything and is department head. He is never there in his office. He just comes to teach and leaves for his home. No research - no help to students. I don't understand why electrical engineering is there-just passing student what about knowledge!. If I would have known I would have never come here.
Louisiana Tech University