StudentsReview :: McNeese State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI

McNeese State University

With the exception of a few faculty members,AverageNursing
With the exception of a few faculty members, the program is horrible. The student work ethic and ability to teach themselves is what gives the program a good name. It is CERTAINLY NOT the teachers or administration. They are dishonest, uncaring and should NOT be in the education field. Worst experience of my entire life. Would NOT recommend to ANYONE!!!
5th Year Male -- Class 2014
University Resource Use/ spending: A, Education Quality: F
The freshmen level advisors at this University serveQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
The freshmen level advisors at this University serve no purpose. It is required to see them, but they give bad advice. I was told to take the wrong courses when I was in college. As a senior I had to take freshmen level classes because my advisor had me take classes that did not count toward my major. They did the same thing with my son. Each of us have been faced with advising errors that resulted in an extra year of school. Profitable for the school, but very bad for a student. When we approached Student Services about our issues we were treated very poorly. Student Services at this University are very rude and arrogant. So bad that, I would rather send my child to another University than put another one through this.
4th Year Male -- Class 1991
Friendliness: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: F
Going to McNeese without looking up anything aboutQuite BrightFinance
Going to McNeese without looking up anything about it had to be the worst decision I ever made. When enrolling I was expecting the full college experience and I was sadly mistaken when I arrived here. I was expecting at least a few like minded individuals that I could befriend but again I was sadly mistaken. Everyone here seems like they are cut from the same high school cloth. Not a shred of diversity among them. Their music, you don't even want to know. I'm all for mindless rap every now and again but my main passion is music with substance and not one single person seemed to understand that. Going to parties was the single wost thing to do. This school seemed to be a haven for the close-minded and closet racist. The food was disgusting on most days. There would be a few redeemable days but for the most part it was just bad. It was almost as if the faculty didn't realize (or care) that some students actually relied on their food to get by. The campus is so small that if literally feels as if you've stepped right back into high school with all of the drama and ignorance all over again. I would constantly hear the affairs of people that I had only seen around, everyone's personal business is pretty much common knowledge here. It's like all some of the people at this school have to do is talk about others. If you live on campus trying to avoid someone is literally inevitable. Weather your walking somewhere or going to class YOU WILL SEE THEM. If you go the cafeteria, believe that you have been spotted and they sort of know you now. Being here I expected to make friends with all sorts of people, to have many different friend groups to enjoy myself with, but that is not the case here. It seems as that all of the white kids flock to each other as do the black kids, some kids even come from schools with segregated proms. SEGREGATED PROMS, can you even believe that? In essence if you are from a small neighboring town or from Lake Charles itself and this is the only thing you've ever know that it will be a great experience for you to enjoy. I however am use to open-minded individuals who are open to anything and like to focus on our interest instead of what other people are doing. I was literally a black sheep. I urge you, do not go here. I poured two years of my life into this shit hole and I regret all of it. Some of the people who have positive reviews on the website sort of scare me a little. I promise that I'm not exaggerating. This school literally made me depressed with boredom. Sitting around on the weekends twiddling thumbs with nothing to show for it. Not to mention the poor amenities. The dorms are so poor is should be a shame. Never do the air conditioners even work, and when maintenance is called over they actually seem to have a sour attitude to you requesting your services. It's so bad that a member of housing quit because of his relationship with maintenance. Save yourself from these six buildings they call a college and go somewhere that isn't the ass end of Louisiana. This school is losing people and losing them fast. They actually have a service where other students can report students in suspicion of leaving to have administration convince them to stay. Don't hop on this sinking ship, this message is my warning to others, to not join the same fate as me.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017