StudentsReview :: Amherst College - Comments and Student Experiences

Williams College -- Williamstown, MA
Williams Baptist College -- Walnut Ridge, AR

Amherst College

Amherst is a good place to go toQuite BrightUndecided
Amherst is a good place to go to college. I have met some really great people and my writing and critical thinking skills have improved tremendously. My two gripes about the college include the dinning hall food and I wish people had a more chilled out attitude (this is a problem you'll find at most northeast colleges sadly). Also, I find that there is an extreme culture of complaining on this campus, which can get extremely tiring and dispiriting if you let it get to you. I get kind of sick of hearing the same complaints over and over again. College is what you make of it, life is what you make of it. I think you can have a good time anywhere with the right mindset. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of students on this campus have the right mindset for having a good time. I have been able to have quite a good time on this campus however! And I'm excited for the future of this place. I think the number one thing the school needs to address if social life/ widespread feelings of loneliness. I think this can be combatted through res-life and 4 year residential dorms. Amherst needs something to fill the vacancy of greeks life being expelled and the sports teams sure as hell don't do it. I love this place and I want to see it succeed and I really want other students to love it and be happy here as well.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F
I have to be frank and tell anyoneBrightMath
I have to be frank and tell anyone who thinks Amherst is a "gem of enlightenment" as they like to think of themselves to please reconsider. They, meaning the administration and trustees/alumni in particular and faculty to a lesser degree, are interested first and foremost in promoting and preserving an image to the outside world of a school that deeply cares about their students and the pursuit of the "life of the mind" as they put it - sort of like keeping up appearances. Recent revelations and the richly deserved bad publicity they have received of late, and which they will do virtually everything to prevent it from going public, only confirms what I suspected. I truly regret coming here and am strongly considering transferring. I could have gone to Bowdoin or Williams and now kick myself for not going to one of those two truly wonderful colleges. Are they perfect? Of course not, but I have a good number of friends at both and believe me, it's vastly better than here at the self-described "Fairest College." The institutional arrogance, elitist environment and culture of sweeping problems under the rug is a bit too much for my blood. Also, do not be persuaded by the pronouncements and superficial actions of the new president, Ms. Martin. It will take years for any real change to occur - the elitist mindset is in the bones of this place and only lots of time and work will make things better.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B-, Faculty Accessibility: F
I just want to quickly clear up aBrightBiology
I just want to quickly clear up a a misconception about AC students. Many people that do not attend the university believe that the school is mostly rich and white. In fact, about half of students are on financial aid. None of those students graduate with any loans at all. Over half of students are minorities. I am an international student and most schools don't offer financial aid to non-citizens. Amherst does, so I am able to attend the school. It has been my perception that there is a much smaller proportion of low income students at schools without such generous financial aid policies. I recently visited a large event at a state school in CA and only saw a handful of minority students.

On a side note: AC offers many summer grants for research, volunteer work and travel. It is easy to get these summer opportunities. This is nice because all AC students (even us poor ones) can get good experience in a time when it is very difficult to land a paid internship. Otherwise, many students would have to take standard "college jobs" which do not distinguish them. Students graduate at an advantage to begin their job hunts and continued schooling applications.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Scholastic Success: F
Amherst College
Compare AmherstSave Amherst

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→