StudentsReview :: Amherst College - Comments and Student Experiences

Williams College -- Williamstown, MA
Williams Baptist College -- Walnut Ridge, AR

Amherst College

Don't trust what you'reNot so bright
Don't trust what you're reading on Student's Review! Anyone can write in their comments here. Nothing filters out the actual college students from random haters. I'd use College Prowler instead; it's much more real and credible.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
I'm a student at Umass Amherst and I'mNot so bright
I'm a student at Umass Amherst and I'm just telling you on what I perceived. I have taken two courses at Amherst college and have to say the classes were OK. For 1600 students and a 2 billion dollar endowment, I would expect Amherst to have amazing hard classes. But I found that I got more out of courses at Umass. Social wise, I had a close friend that goes to Amherst currently. We met on a service learning trip, and for some reason when I told her I went to Umass and we should hang out, she never spoked to me again. Also most people at the college are crude. There all basically the stereotypical upper middle class jewish American who went through ridiculous SAT and AP prep courses. They know deep down that they are smarter than you, and they will treat you like shit if they find out you go to Umass. They just don't realize that some people don't have parents with loads of money, and can only go to the state university.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Academics:BrightPreMed and Medical
Academics:
People work had and play hard.
After almost two years, I've never had a problem with an Amherst professor. I've found them to be extremely helpful. I've been irritated with the teaching style of a visiting professor, but she wasn't asked back, and every college has visiting professors. There are no TAs. The courses are challenging but they provide you with every support you would need to succeed. So basically, they ask a lot but do everything in their power to help you have a successful experience.

Social Life:
For such a small school, there is a surprising amount going on whenever you want to go out. We like costumes and semi-formals and throwing surprise parties for friends. Parties are open to everyone and the hosts of the party generally provide alcohol, so it is easy to find for free whenever you would want it. Socializing without boozing up is easy too, there are always a lot of fun events on campus, and if you want to go out dancing without the drinking, just do it.

Amherst will force you to be open-minded. As with any school, there is going to be a patch of freshman year during which you are always surrounded by people, and are having an unbelievable amount of fun, yet for some reason you feel decidedly homesick and kind of lonely. During this period you might feel like there aren't enough people similar to your friends back home (regardless of your background). But Amherst students are incredibly diverse and surprising. I've found that snap judgments based on appearance are rarely true, and that everyone and anyone finds their niche. Also, if you are a friendly/outgoing person you will find that everyone is incredibly receptive to it and you will make lots of different kinds of friends with different kinds of interests.

General:
People generally have a low-key style.
Amherst students are very confident in their ability to affect the world around them.
Sometimes it will seem like everyone around you is involved in a million things, and, often, they are. People are diverse and come to college for different reasons, and Amherst values that. It does not select a class of only philanthropists or only investment bankers or only philanthropic investment bankers. Amherst will change you in the sense that it will help you clarify your interests (because you are surrounded by diverse people). Because it gives you the social contacts/tools for success, for better or worse it will make you want to be the best. If you go in wanting to be a social worker, you will leave wanting to be a double PhD and leading intellectual in the field of social work. If your interest is in making a lot of money, your experiences will clarify that and inspire you to be the wealthiest. If your interest is helping people, your experiences will clarify that and make you want to be the most successful at doing so. If your interest is in learning a lot, your experiences will provide you with everything you could possibly need to do that.

1st Year Female -- Class 2010