StudentsReview :: Anna Maria College - Comments and Student Experiences

Anna Maria College

I'm a commuter, and I love Anna MariaQuite BrightEducation
I'm a commuter, and I love Anna Maria College. It's kind of funny how many of the people who complain about how easy and unchallenging this college is are flunking out or on academic probation. I get good grades and make Dean's List, but I've earned it. I show up to class and take good notes. If you show up to class and participate, your teacher is more likely to know you and you will get a good grade if you complete all the assignments.

The education department at this college is a very good one. There is a lot of one-on-one student/teacher instruction and professors, for the most part, are very helpful. Of course you'll get that crazy teacher once in a while, but that's going to happen wherever you go.

The small class sizes are beneficial if you're a person that wants to do well. If you don't show up for class, you will fail. I do find the course work challenging, but at the same time I do well because I show up to class, do my work on time, and I participate actively in class. After reading some of the negative comments on here, I noticed how some people were complaining that they were getting kicked out of the dorms for drug and alcohol use....well duh...

As for the science department, I can't comment on that because I am not a science major. However, this school does have a very strong liberal arts curriculum in History, English, Education, and other related majors. I enjoy the classes and find them challenging. The professors are friendly and helpful, and they know my name, which is something that lacked when I went to UMASS. There, I was just a number and teachers were completely unapproachable. The food sucks but I don't live there anyways. However, as a commuter, I have made so many new friends. It's a close-knit community with friendly staff and students. Most of my friends do well here and I find that people who complain about the school are students that fail several subjects, skip class, and end up flunking out. The campus is calming and beautiful, and hey, if you do choose to commute, there's great parking here!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B-
Was here for a year.Quite BrightPsychology
Was here for a year. Students were nice. Faculty was God aweful. Don't bother asking for assistance, not that you would really need any since the Psych courses are way too easy. If you want to be in debt and make sure your credits don't transfer then this is the perfect place for you. If you actually want a job after you graduate, in any major, don't bother coming here. Waste of time. Waster of money. You're better off working at McDonald's.
Campus Maintenance: C+, Education Quality: F
As a music student you half to takeBrightMusic - Performance
As a music student you half to take a lot of classes, and I was fine with that. What I wasn't fine with was the arrogance and lack of teamwork on some of the other students part. And the extreme lack of understanding on the teachers' parts. Students can be mean and childish sometimes, but hey, it's college. But even if you keep to yourself and focus on your school work it's absolutely pointless. If you need help, don't bother asking a teacher. They will literally tell you to drop out of their class and pick another one. This is what music students here pay almost $50,000/year for. For $5,000 I should have gone to Berklee. I chose Anna Maria because I thought it was going to be a quiet, helpful environment. But the moment you ask for help they treat you like an idiot and avoid you as much as possible. Dorm life is okay. The food is barely edible. There's no night life. You literally have to travel out of cow town and into Worcester, about half an hour away, to have any fun so basically if you don't have a car you're out of luck. On-Campus activities are okay but the good ones are far and few in between. Public Safety is full of retard cop wannabes because let's face it Paxton Police is a joke. If you have an issue with housing don't bother bringing it up. They're either too busy screwing half the football team to pay attention. Or in the off chance they actually care they'll tell you to see a therapist or leave the school. The once decent nursing program I hear is no longer certified so they lost all their medical students. And half the music teachers either quit or got fired. It's great that they're improving their image, but they really need to focus on improving life for their students and the quality of their staff. Becuase if I'm paying $48,000/year, it better be worth every penny of it. I left after the first year. It just really isn't worth it. For cheaper you can go to Worcester State University or UMASS. If you're a music kid, either go to Berklee or travel out of state. Otherwise, a degree from this joke of a school is completely worthless.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014