StudentsReview :: Anna Maria College - Comments and Student Experiences

Anna Maria College

AVOID ANNA MARIA LIKE THE PLAGUE.Quite BrightOther
AVOID ANNA MARIA LIKE THE PLAGUE.
There are three types of undergrads at AMC:

1. Arrogant loud insecure semi "atheletes"
2. Music, art, and theatre majors with the same social skills that one would imagine people of such "aesthetic appeal" would posess in high school. (If you understand this entry and it's tone then you are far too smart for AMC unless you want a quick degree and a huge tuition bill)

3. Individuals who keep to themselves for the most part, are probably here on scholarship, and either transfer out at the first oppurtunity or graduate owing very little to the school.

The kids at AMC are the kind of people you would be wise to avoid after losing contact with. Its very rare to find intelligent and interesting people at this school and the faculty are just as appealling as the student body.

Michelle Cash, the resident advisor is a condacending moody ex grad, with an air of entitlement to authority and very little respect for the students at the school. Again, to all the people interested in going to this wretched academy think twice.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
I'm shocked at all the negative reviews.Quite BrightUndecided
I'm shocked at all the negative reviews. I really love AMC and I know a lot of other people who feel the same.

ResLife- The way I see it ResLife isn't too great anywhere. The staff is helpful but they are looking for ways to get the most money out of you. Madonna sucks- I've never lived there. But it really needs to be updated or totally demolished. The other dorms aren't bad! They are all new and modern. Central Air. Decent Bathrooms. RAs- some are assholes. a lot of the girls are bitches.

Academics- In all honesty the school work isn't too hard. I wasn't expecting it to be really hard. But thats the thing- everyone swears up and down that its easy... easier than highschool then they fail out. If its so easy why are you on academic probation? And trust me, a lot of people are on probation or will leave for grades. The professors at AMC are great. They are always helpful and really do try to get to know their students. They're always willing to talk about anything and everything when they're free.

Food- Sodexco wasn't bad. Last semester they started listening to students and it got good. But it wasn't that healthy. We have a new company called Sage now starting fall 2011.

Technology- computers are everywhere on campus. but updates need to happen. The library should be updated. Some parts of some dorms have no internet service either.

People- Theres some really cool people to meet at AMC. I've had some great times here and met best friends. A lot of people will be close minded since they are local and will only hang out with people they know from highschool/hometowns. Its easy to make friends here. Though you will see alot of people go. I think its getting better with class of 2014 & 15. But the upperclassmen have something like 40% of their original class left. people dropout, get terrible grades, transfer, don't go to class or can't afford it.

Social life- Theres parties and fun times. Obviously theres no ripper frat parties. Madonna was always the place to go but now that its freshman I guess the suites be where the parties are. A lot of people go to shady clubs in worcester or providence for thursdays/weekends.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D+
I read all these reviews before attending freshmanQuite BrightEducation
I read all these reviews before attending freshman year at AMC. Most of the reviews were bad, but I disregarded them and said that I'll give it a shot. Giving AMC a shot was the worst choice in my life.

First, the food is absolutely HORRIBLE, they have ZERO choices on food. There is one dining hall since the campus is so small. Every day there is either hamburgers, hot dogs, or pasta. The pizza is the worst pizza I've ever had. I ate cereal and bagels every single meal. The salad was usually brown and there was limited choices for dressing.

Second, the dorms. I was put into a triple which was the size of a small closet. In triples they only provide enough furniture for 2 people, so only 2 desks, and 2 dressers. Madonna hall has not been updated and you feel like you're living in jail. There are fire drills ALL the time. There are suppose to be mirrors on the back of every dorm door, my room did not have one. My quack of an RA told me Res Life knew that, but they didn't. I got charged for it, and quickly filed complaints. They are currently building suites right in the middle of campus, but it is ONLY for upperclass men (mostly seniors, a few juniors). Whereas at any other school, you could be in a great suite in your sophomore year. There is no off campus apartments near the school, it is all residential families who are against AMC all together.

Third, the students. Since AMC is so small (less than 1,000 undergrads) people act like they're still in high school. Since the first day of class you could clearly notice people starting to form their own cliques and groups of friends. After people made their groups, they did not talk to anyone else. The majority of the students have boyfriends/girlfriends for 4+ years and most of them all sleep around with the community low life AMC students. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) leaves on the weekends to go either home, or to other schools (usually umass). The campus is completely dead after about 1 PM on Fridays until Monday mornings.

Fourth, the classes. The classes are bullshit easy. I was on a sports team playing games/practicing 6 days a week 3-5 hours a day and I STILL had time to hang with friends, sleep, watch tv, and do homework. Even if you do anything you can think of to occupy you, you will always be bored. The classes just aren't challenging enough.

And finally, the employees at AMC are far from qualified. They don't answer emails, they are NEVER in their offices, and if they are, they aren't available to talk (even for 5 minutes). Health Services is not up to par. They do not do anything to help you, I was in about 5 times over the school year with various sicknesses and every time she told me just to get some rest and take some Advil. Public Safety does not protect anyone or anything. A desk chair was stolen out of my dorm and they did nothing about it, even though I was very concerned on how they got into my LOCKED dorm room on a weekend when me and my roommates were away. A boy who was obsessed with my roommate tried to break into our dorm after class, punched a wall and had to get rushed to the hospital for a broken hand. Public Safety did not do anything about this, they sweep everything under the rug. They are only concerned about no one finding out about any problems.

The school is located in Paxton, MA aka THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE. Paxton has a rule that there is no delivery, fast food, or drive throughs allowed in their town. To have any fun (or even any good food) you have to drive to Worcester which, even though seems close, it is still pretty far away. The sports are D3 and all the money goes to the football team (which was created in 2008) and hasn't won a game yet.Don't be fooled with what the Orientation Leaders will say, because I was and got really excited to go to AMC last fall. I was wrong, I am transferring to a state school for a better education for 1/3 of the price. AMC is hiking up their tuition now it is $41,000 for the 2011-2012 school year. Save your money, go to a state school, or even ANY other school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014