Bristol Community College
| StudentsReview ::
Bristol Community College - Comments and Student Experiences |
Some of my unfortunate experiences I've had at BCC:
- I was originally listed as a General Studies major. No clue how or why that happened; I signed up as a Communications major.
- I requested a copy of my transcripts to be sent to my transfer school. They were not sent to my transfer school; they were sent to a completely different school.
- I requested a meeting with my advisor, assigned to me during the second semester. I needed a signature from her on some of my transfer paperwork. She did not respond to my email until a month had passed after I sent it. She explained she was on vacation - what kind of advisor goes on vacation and doesn't check her email or at least designate someone to check her email for her. I would have gladly asked another advisor or someone else to sign the paperwork for me. My advisor told me I needed a transfer advisor to sign the paperwork for me, so I made an appointment with transfers. They couldn't see me until the day before my paperwork was due to be sent out. I simply could not afford to risk waiting that long so I went to the head of student engagement instead. His secretary gladly took my paperwork and had it signed and mailed out the next day. It was pleasant and painless - I was shocked.
- I am all for getting my money's worth out of my education and taking classes even when the weather is less than favorable, but class still went on even during Hurricane Sandy. Many of my professors expressed that their cars broke down on the way to class and their basements were completely flooded, yet BCC still made them come in and work.
- You will never be able to find a decent parking space, regardless of how early you show up for class.
Just a few things I want to elaborate upon after grading:
Faculty Accessibility - The only issue I've had when it came to getting in contact with faculty was the shoddy email client BCC uses. More often than not, emails would get lost or sent to junk folders. Unfortunately, notifying professors of late work, missed classes, or even just asking general questions about coursework and upcoming exams is a complete hit or miss. Other than that, I've yet to encounter a faculty member who was actually unwilling to get in contact with their students.
Perceived Campus Safety - I was enrolled in BCC when both the Newtown shootings and the Boston Marathon bombings occurred. They made many students realize that BCC's campus is not a safe place to be should similar events occur. Many classrooms have very large floor-to-ceiling windows that are very easy for an intruder to break and enter. There are very few places within classrooms to hide in the event that a shooter enters the school. What concerns me the most is that there is a daycare on campus and there are often a lot of children in some of the buildings. These children's lives could potentially be in danger. On an unrelated note, officers on campus are not helpful or friendly at all; they are condescending, arrogant, and rude. They aren't approachable at all. They seem very invested in each other and things that concern them, not the safety of the students and the community. They're often seen sitting in their cars and chatting with each other, laughing and hamming it up. The most useful thing they do is direct traffic exiting the campus.
Social Life/Extracurricular Activities/Surrounding City - There is no social life at BCC. The general student population is boring and unpleasant. Everyone minds their own business and no one wants to strike up a conversation or be friendly with one another. Extracurricular activities are commonly advertised using poorly drawn chalk signs on the paths between buildings. The surrounding city is full of immature, trashy high school students who will publicly fight, catcall, and shout rude and obscene things to pedestrians and civilians just minding their own business. I know this is a really long review but I feel like these are things that need to be said. I truly don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did when applying for BCC. The year I spent here was a waste of time and money. BCC is a disappointment.
Bethel University (MN) 1:positive
State University of New York Westchester Community College (NY) 1:negative
Grand Canyon University (AZ) 1:positive
Normandale Community College (MN) 1:neutral
There are 73 more!
Disclaimer: StudentsReview makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of this site, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this site. Furthermore, StudentsReview is not affiliated with any University or Institution.