StudentsReview :: Bristol Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bristol Community College

Get as many ifQuite BrightNursing
Get as many if not all of the classes in the nursing program done before you apply for the program. Take the nursing classes by themselves (if they are still of the same quality and caliber as when I attended 98-00), they are a lot of work and the bulk of your success.
Starting Job: staff nurse; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+
Run. Just run.Quite BrightComputer Science
Run. Just run. I went here to save money and I wasn't expecting the most spectacular education for Computer Science, but boy did I get what I paid for. For the major itself, if you keep to the books, attend the lectures, and expand upon the material yourself, then you'll be fine. All of the departments are disconnected and we had an experience with the Math Department dragging their feet on offering a class for the Fall 2013 semester. The schedules are not flexible at all and I may have to move to Fall River just to keep up with my studies since I have a 40 minute commute. There are not many high-level math classes on the other campuses and the Computer Science classes remain exclusive to the main campus in Fall River. The advisers are there to point you in the wrong direction. The info out there is out-dated and contradicting so take what they say with a grain of salt. Many people going through the Computer Science transfer program are now taking up to 17 credits this semester (Fall 2013) because of advisement issues. My math teacher was nice enough to write "Worst Algebra Ever" on a Calculus problem I botched on a test as if that will help. Coming to this school is without a doubt the worst decision I've made in my 20 years of life.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: B+, Individual Value: F
I originally intended on spending two years atQuite BrightCommunications
I originally intended on spending two years at BCC and receiving my associate's before moving on to get my bachelor's at a different university, but I simply could not allow myself to endure another minute there.

Some of my unfortunate experiences I've had at BCC:

- I was originally listed as a General Studies major. No clue how or why that happened; I signed up as a Communications major.

- I requested a copy of my transcripts to be sent to my transfer school. They were not sent to my transfer school; they were sent to a completely different school.

- I requested a meeting with my advisor, assigned to me during the second semester. I needed a signature from her on some of my transfer paperwork. She did not respond to my email until a month had passed after I sent it. She explained she was on vacation - what kind of advisor goes on vacation and doesn't check her email or at least designate someone to check her email for her. I would have gladly asked another advisor or someone else to sign the paperwork for me. My advisor told me I needed a transfer advisor to sign the paperwork for me, so I made an appointment with transfers. They couldn't see me until the day before my paperwork was due to be sent out. I simply could not afford to risk waiting that long so I went to the head of student engagement instead. His secretary gladly took my paperwork and had it signed and mailed out the next day. It was pleasant and painless - I was shocked.

- I am all for getting my money's worth out of my education and taking classes even when the weather is less than favorable, but class still went on even during Hurricane Sandy. Many of my professors expressed that their cars broke down on the way to class and their basements were completely flooded, yet BCC still made them come in and work.

- You will never be able to find a decent parking space, regardless of how early you show up for class.

Just a few things I want to elaborate upon after grading:

Faculty Accessibility - The only issue I've had when it came to getting in contact with faculty was the shoddy email client BCC uses. More often than not, emails would get lost or sent to junk folders. Unfortunately, notifying professors of late work, missed classes, or even just asking general questions about coursework and upcoming exams is a complete hit or miss. Other than that, I've yet to encounter a faculty member who was actually unwilling to get in contact with their students.

Perceived Campus Safety - I was enrolled in BCC when both the Newtown shootings and the Boston Marathon bombings occurred. They made many students realize that BCC's campus is not a safe place to be should similar events occur. Many classrooms have very large floor-to-ceiling windows that are very easy for an intruder to break and enter. There are very few places within classrooms to hide in the event that a shooter enters the school. What concerns me the most is that there is a daycare on campus and there are often a lot of children in some of the buildings. These children's lives could potentially be in danger. On an unrelated note, officers on campus are not helpful or friendly at all; they are condescending, arrogant, and rude. They aren't approachable at all. They seem very invested in each other and things that concern them, not the safety of the students and the community. They're often seen sitting in their cars and chatting with each other, laughing and hamming it up. The most useful thing they do is direct traffic exiting the campus.

Social Life/Extracurricular Activities/Surrounding City - There is no social life at BCC. The general student population is boring and unpleasant. Everyone minds their own business and no one wants to strike up a conversation or be friendly with one another. Extracurricular activities are commonly advertised using poorly drawn chalk signs on the paths between buildings. The surrounding city is full of immature, trashy high school students who will publicly fight, catcall, and shout rude and obscene things to pedestrians and civilians just minding their own business. I know this is a really long review but I feel like these are things that need to be said. I truly don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did when applying for BCC. The year I spent here was a waste of time and money. BCC is a disappointment.

Campus Maintenance: B+, Education Quality: F

Lancaster Bible College (PA) 1:negative 1:neutral

Rider University (NJ) 1:negative

Capella University (MN) 1:positive

Duquesne University (PA) 1:negative

Compare BCCSave BCC

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→