StudentsReview :: The Berklee College of Music - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
University of California -- Berkeley, CA

The Berklee College of Music

Berklee couldn't care less about the success of

Apr 30 2014Music Education
Berklee couldn't care less about the success of the individual student. They will do anything to keep you paying your tuition every year. I did well my first year but failed almost my entire second year due to some personal issues. Not ONCE did any of my teachers or an advisor try to contact me. My peer advisor was supposed to meet with me my freshman year and never did. She also joked about getting D's in all her classes. If you start doing poorly here you have to pick yourself up with no help whatsoever from the institution even though it costs upwards of $50,000 a year to attend. The drop out rate is so high that they've implemented a "student retention program".

Some of the teachers are incredibly unprofessional. My private instructor skipped several lessons and was frequently late. My Harmony 3 professor didn't show up for the final exam...

The one great thing about Berklee is the variety of people you meet and the surrounding city. Students are usually super friendly and not cliquey at all.

Overall, Berklee has been a waste of time and money. I ended up transferring to a smaller, less money-hungry school and am much happier.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Social Life: A+, Individual Value: F

Jaja helo, im one of the berklee valencia?s

Jun 22 2014Music - Performance
Jaja helo, im one of the berklee valencia?s graduate first class, wow, i write this comments as a sort of catharsys, first thing is first, DO NOT ATTEND TO THIS WHATEVER CALLED SCHOOL, SAVE YOUR MONEY, FIND BETTER EDUCATION, EVERYTHING IS PRETTY MUCH BULLSHIT, SPECIALLY ON THE TEACHERS SIDE, attending to this was the single worst desicion in life, they are just a bunch of noobz claiming to be doing some great work, they actually are very unprofessional (no names obiously) i mean please check out the advertising don?t you find it weird about a school were people are always happy and everything is pink, that only means one thing, for the ones that don?t know or don?t realize, they are way too balkanized with very high opinions about themselves no matter how really sucky the musical output is, in a true world were there are challenges and challenging situations people would be worried in some sort of way, even kings, clearly is advertising, if you knew who i was you would surly know im very talented, im saving my name for the sake of what is left of my musical career that was pretty much destroyed ( im very serious here) after attending this whatever it is, on the side of the business is a NO NO honestly none of that you?ll find here, only good biz for them and mental masturbation that is actually killing the average talented people, so no biz and don?t expect to have biz here any sooner since they really kill the people that can bring freshness to this world of musical cliches they had built, berklee valencia is a no no no especially if you are talented and searching for a serious music career.

im not a hateful dude, actaully im pretty easy going and respectful, and i bet you can wait for some more feedback like mine since i suspect im not the only one in this situation.hope anyone who read thins find it useful, if not, does not matters you stil have to keep this in mind because this are facts, out of eperience.

Starting Job: none Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F

FACT:

Mar 22 2014Music - Performance
FACT: 80% of people who start Berklee, never finish. Why? Because it's HARD. It's really hard. That's the honest truth. But if you are really committed to having a career in music, it will seem like A LOT of fun (and it is) even though you will work harder than you've ever worked in your life.

Sure, there are students who slide by, only doing the minimum of what is required of them. But why in the world would you want to do that? That's a serious disservice to your future and your overall Berklee experience.

Berklee is honestly one of THE BEST decisions I've ever made in my life. It was the exact stepping stone I needed to get me ready for a successful career in the entertainment industry. In addition to the incredible wealth of information at Berklee, and the amazing staff of knowledgable, helpful teachers, Berklee offers an environment that mirrors real-world experience. You learn how to work under pressure. You learn what it takes to get things done on time without sacrificing quality. You learn how to be a great musician, performer, and/or business person.

After Berklee, I moved to NYC and grown tremendously as a professional musician and songwriter. I've had high paying gigs all over the country and have had my songwriting featured on national TV shows. And, in all honesty, saying that you graduated from Berklee College of Music gets you a lot of respect in the industry. It definitely opens doors.

Another thing that's great about Berklee are the connections you make while you're there. You know how a lot of our Congressmen go to Yale and Harvard? Well, Berklee is "Yale" and "Harvard" of the music business. Many connections you make there will stay with you throughout your career. It really is like being in a little mafia lol (in a good way).

I HIGHLY recommend Berklee to anyone who is serious about having an outstanding career in the music/entertainment business. The knowledge you learn there is invaluable, and the experience and memories you will make there will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's worth it! And if I could do it all over again, I WOULD! It was so much fun and such a great time. So much so that I'm planning a reunion with my old "crew" there soon. Friends will be flying in from all over the world to reunite. That's how connected we all still are.

I CANNOT believe Berklee has a C rating on here (at the time I'm writing this). That really is inaccurate. My experience there was nothing but positive and I highly recommend it to anyone who is truly interested and committed to excellence and success. Best of luck! :)

Starting Job: Musician Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+