StudentsReview ™ :: The Berklee College of Music - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
University of California -- Berkeley, CA

The Berklee College of Music

FACT:

Mar 22 2014Music - Performance
FACT: 80% of people who start Berklee, never finish. Why? Because it's HARD. It's really hard. That's the honest truth. But if you are really committed to having a career in music, it will seem like A LOT of fun (and it is) even though you will work harder than you've ever worked in your life.

Sure, there are students who slide by, only doing the minimum of what is required of them. But why in the world would you want to do that? That's a serious disservice to your future and your overall Berklee experience.

Berklee is honestly one of THE BEST decisions I've ever made in my life. It was the exact stepping stone I needed to get me ready for a successful career in the entertainment industry. In addition to the incredible wealth of information at Berklee, and the amazing staff of knowledgable, helpful teachers, Berklee offers an environment that mirrors real-world experience. You learn how to work under pressure. You learn what it takes to get things done on time without sacrificing quality. You learn how to be a great musician, performer, and/or business person.

After Berklee, I moved to NYC and grown tremendously as a professional musician and songwriter. I've had high paying gigs all over the country and have had my songwriting featured on national TV shows. And, in all honesty, saying that you graduated from Berklee College of Music gets you a lot of respect in the industry. It definitely opens doors.

Another thing that's great about Berklee are the connections you make while you're there. You know how a lot of our Congressmen go to Yale and Harvard? Well, Berklee is "Yale" and "Harvard" of the music business. Many connections you make there will stay with you throughout your career. It really is like being in a little mafia lol (in a good way).

I HIGHLY recommend Berklee to anyone who is serious about having an outstanding career in the music/entertainment business. The knowledge you learn there is invaluable, and the experience and memories you will make there will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's worth it! And if I could do it all over again, I WOULD! It was so much fun and such a great time. So much so that I'm planning a reunion with my old "crew" there soon. Friends will be flying in from all over the world to reunite. That's how connected we all still are.

I CANNOT believe Berklee has a C rating on here (at the time I'm writing this). That really is inaccurate. My experience there was nothing but positive and I highly recommend it to anyone who is truly interested and committed to excellence and success. Best of luck! :)

Starting Job: Musician Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+

The Berklee administration does not care about you;

Mar 12 2014Unknown
The Berklee administration does not care about you; make sure to know that before going in. The school is so focused on maintaining their image and hyping the success of their alumni that upon entrance to the school you will quite immediately be forgotten about. I have a good friend who, for a variety of reasons found his work suffering in his third and fourth semesters. He was depressed and it was reflected in his school work. In short, the administration didn't even notice. Nobody got in touch with him to find out what was happening. His teachers didn't seem to care, he didn't have an advisor to talk to, and not even the registrar got in touch with him to show any concern.

In short, the school expects you to do everything for yourself. It's a good life lesson, sure, but in a college community the school NEEDS to be looking out for their students. Thus there is zero sense of school pride, but the administration says it's ok, because John Mayer went here (for a semester)! Also PSY went here, and look how big he's become (even though he literally failed out of Berklee)! There's a trend.

The school prides itself on being a great place for students to make connections, and maybe it is, but for students (like me) who are not great at going out and socializing with people and making those "career connections," Berklee offers little to no help. Don't get me started on the other students. Some are great, I've made some truly lifelong friends here, but most of the time you'll feel taken advantage of by other self-centered students who are just looking to get something out of you.In short, obviously everybody has their opinions, but from my experiences and my conversations with others around me, Berklee will change the way you think about music, and not for the best. Seriously consider other options.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: B+, Individual Value: F

I went back to Berklee to graduate in

Feb 05 2014Music - Performance
I went back to Berklee to graduate in 2010, having attended years ago. I wanted to at least get a Bachelor's degree out of it. Music is no way to make a living unless one is in the upper echelons of performing or academia. Those who become successful performing artists already have it going on and don't need music school. Even a PhD or DMA is no guarantee of a teaching job. I have mixed feelings. Music has enriched my life, and Berklee gave me a good musical foundation, when I should have been doing something more useful. I didn't really learn to play until I found an exceptional teacher later. The male-to-female ratio was lopsided when I originally went (and still is), which made a normal social life difficult. Berklee capitalizes on selling dreams, most of which will never be realized, sad to say.
4th Year Male -- Class 2010