StudentsReview :: Boston College - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston College

Oevr the last 3 years, I've found BostonQuite BrightFinance
Oevr the last 3 years, I've found Boston College to have a friendly and open environment, allowing a wide variety of beliefs and life styles. Coming from a NYC public school, it's easy for me to see if there is a tolerance for differences. I can say that not only is there a tolerance, differences are welcome at BC. For example, my Freshman year roommate was a devout Moslim (I'm Catholic). We got along fine and are still friends. The faculty are interested in a student's success, since if the students don't succeed, neither will the university. Alumni are very active, and I've met with several successful alumni who have been very willing to help me in my studies and career. In many ways, college is what you make of it. If you go anywhere with a bad attitude and don't get involved, you'll feel that the college is terrible and that everyone there, both students and faculty, are awful people. In realty, it's more likely that it's the student's own problem, not someone else's.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
There's one adequate word to describe the typicalQuite BrightEconomics
There's one adequate word to describe the typical undergraduate: Preppy.
Like other reviewers here, I've met my share of "students" who clearly are there due to their family wealth and legacy. Fortunately, they represent the minority. If you meet enough people at BC, you would be pleasantly surprised at how intellectually and culturally diverse the school is.

Academics are top-notch. The only negative experience I had was in the English Department with a Teacher who was clearly out her league. She didn't have a PhD or any profound insights into the works that were covered.

Enough ink has been spilled over the drinking culture that exists on weekends so I won't go there.
The Campus is among the very best in the world. Compare it with Oxford, Cambridge or Princeton.
So if you're looking to start classes this Fall, meet as many people as you can, join 3-4 clubs/activities, suspend premature judgments and definitely get to know your Professors.

4th Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+,
I've only been at BC for a year,Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I've only been at BC for a year, but I will give you my opinion of it. This post's purpose is to appeal to those who are driven away by the "J Crew with a hangover" stereotype, even though the stereotype is mostly accurate. I am one of those people who "ended up" at BC. Despite not fitting the BC stereotype (I am not White, Catholic, preppy, and I don't drink), I often say that I can't imagine myself being anywhere else. BC has a beautiful campus. It's gothic architecture makes you feel like you're walking in a beautiful snow globe during winter and everyone lays out in the Dustbowl when it's sunny outside. It's really an ideal college campus. The buildings are close to each other so you never have to walk far to your next class. Socially, as a non-drinker, it really isn't too hard to find things to do, especially being so close to Boston. I can't imagine not going to school near a city. Students at rural colleges must get pretty bored on weekends and have nothing to do but drink. The social culture at BC definitely revolves around drinking and it may be tough to find other non-drinkers, but they are definitely there if you look hard enough. Entertainment may involve going to the BC-sponsored events or going into Boston. You are literally bombarded with e-mails everyday about speakers to listen to, events to attend, and newsletters to read. BC does so much to help you in any way you need it (academically, socially, or in your career).

You don't even need to be friends with only non-drinkers. People don't drink 24/7, just on most Friday nights. It's easy to judge people and assume you wouldn't get along with certain people because they look like the stereotypical BC student. There are many people who I wrote off as doing nothing but party hard, but who suprised me when I learned that they are actually quite smart and very involved on campus. The main issue for me has been that I'm reluctant to introduce myself because a lot of people come off as snooty and unfriendly. If you get past the image, though, you will make valuable friends. Through making an effort and doing activities like Appalachia, I've found that I have a lot more in common with people than I believed. It's best to meet people outside of their cliques. You will find that most students are interesting and friendly. With a student population of around 9,000, there's bound to at least a few people like you.

Academically, BC is also quite good, although not worth the tuition. I've enjoyed all of my classes. If you get the right teachers (which you can, given enough drive), you'll have a rewarding experience. My professors have been very willing to help and have been very helpful. Most of them are truly passionate about what they do, making class exciting and interesting. The workload is very manageable. The only downside is that there is definitely a schism between the students intellectually. There are those people like me, for whom BC was a safety, and those for whom it was a reach. There doesn't seem to be much gray area. For example, in a randomly assigned group project, half of your team mates may be really excelling in the class while the other half is barely scraping by. Sometimes you wonder how or why some people got in to BC. Even still, I do have to work hard to keep up with at least half of my classmates. There are classmates who are very, very hardworking and intelligent. I feel proud to be at BC with people like them. I do wish there were more of them, though.To sum up, in all honesty, college is really what you make of it. I suggest that you find a school that is a good fit for you socially and academically and go there if you get in. This may or may not be BC. However, if BC is a fit for you EITHER socially or academically, but not necessarily both, definitely apply. BC was a good fit for me academically but not socially. I applied because of the great business program, and have not been disappointed at all. Despite my expectations, I have found some amazing friends at BC. If you're like me and "end up" here, even if you don't see yourself being happy at BC, you will likely be proven wrong. With enough effort, happiness comes easily.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011