StudentsReview :: Boston University - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston University

I transferred to BU second semester of my

Feb 08 2015Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred to BU second semester of my freshman year. I thought BU would be an amazing school in an awesome city which would provide me with an education and experience well worth the price tag. I was so wrong, and now I am transferring again. BU is the biggest waste of money and I thoroughly regret going here. Besides the friends I was lucky enough to meet, everything else sucks. My first semester I was offered reasonable financial help which made the school affordable enough. The next semester they fucked me over by cutting my aid in half. Unless you are going to become a doctor or have rich parents who are putting you through college (which is the case for a huge amount of the people I met) it's not worth it. There's no school spirit (literally no one gives a fuck it's kind of sad), the classes are no better than any state school you could go to, and the dorms suck. I was lucky enough to meet cool people but there are a lot of people who act like they are in high school and form exclusive cliques, and if you don't know people you're not going to have anything to do on Friday nights. Frat parties aren't crazy fun and you have to know people to get in. Social scene gets better once you're done with freshman year but if you're under 21 it's hard to get into clubs and bars and the night life in Boston sucks anyways as everything closes at 1. The campus is hideous with the green line literally screeching through the middle and the weather blows. Don't waste your money, go somewhere else, seriously you could get so much more from a different school that doesn't charge 60 grand.
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

This school is all about the label

Jan 23 2015Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school is all about the label. The education it offers is crap and the campus gets depressing. Simply a money sucking institution thats main priority is harvesting all the money they possibly can from your parents. Go to Northeastern over this piece of shit. Save a ton of money and go to a state school where you will receive a better education, enjoy an actual campus, and have professors that would actually like to see you succeed.

BU seemed like the perfect fit for me

Jan 21 2015Archaeology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
BU seemed like the perfect fit for me. They offered me substantial scholarship/financial aid and work study. Coming from New York I was interested in a city that was not too close to home. Additionally I was entering the archaeology department, which I still believe is one of the best in this country. As some others commented, this school did leave me with some mental health issues - something which I have absolutely never had before. Going to BU made me feel more isolated and alone then ever before. As a freshman, I was living in an secluded sophomore dorm, leaving it difficult for me to branch out and meet people. I tried to join a few clubs, but they were apparently exclusive and I needed to go through several application/interview processes to get rejected from them. I eventually found a club, but there were over 100 people in it and it was very difficult to meet people through it. You may hear about grade deflation, but I believe it is a myth. I worked very hard in high school to get high grades. I continued the same work ethic at BU, if even that much. I received great grades while I noticed others around me struggling, and using this so called "grade deflation" as an excuse. The students around me were the most apathetic people I had ever met, whether it came to grades, clubs, or even going out. It just seemed like nobody cared. Although BU has a good reputation, their tours/accepted students/orientation is all very misleading. I have heard tour guides blatantly lie. With that being said, I know many people who have had a very positive experience at BU and absolutely love it. Keep in mind that my case is one where BU was not a right fit for me, but also that these things could potentially happen during your BU experience.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018