StudentsReview :: Boston University - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston University

Jan 23 2015Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school is all about the label. The education it offers is crap and the campus gets depressing. Simply a money sucking institution thats main priority is harvesting all the money they possibly can from your parents. Go to Northeastern over this piece of shit. Save a ton of money and go to a state school where you will receive a better education, enjoy an actual campus, and have professors that would actually like to see you succeed.
Jan 21 2015Archaeology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
BU seemed like the perfect fit for me. They offered me substantial scholarship/financial aid and work study. Coming from New York I was interested in a city that was not too close to home. Additionally I was entering the archaeology department, which I still believe is one of the best in this country. As some others commented, this school did leave me with some mental health issues - something which I have absolutely never had before. Going to BU made me feel more isolated and alone then ever before. As a freshman, I was living in an secluded sophomore dorm, leaving it difficult for me to branch out and meet people. I tried to join a few clubs, but they were apparently exclusive and I needed to go through several application/interview processes to get rejected from them. I eventually found a club, but there were over 100 people in it and it was very difficult to meet people through it. You may hear about grade deflation, but I believe it is a myth. I worked very hard in high school to get high grades. I continued the same work ethic at BU, if even that much. I received great grades while I noticed others around me struggling, and using this so called "grade deflation" as an excuse. The students around me were the most apathetic people I had ever met, whether it came to grades, clubs, or even going out. It just seemed like nobody cared. Although BU has a good reputation, their tours/accepted students/orientation is all very misleading. I have heard tour guides blatantly lie. With that being said, I know many people who have had a very positive experience at BU and absolutely love it. Keep in mind that my case is one where BU was not a right fit for me, but also that these things could potentially happen during your BU experience.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: B+, Individual Value: F
Jan 19 2015Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I graduated from BU in the early 80's. It appears that nothing has changed at the University. The main goal is to extract $$$$ from the kids. Education and experience sub par. I would rate BU as the most negative educational experience in my life. I have taught at and attended most universities in the Boston area. All are superior including the local community colleges. My advice....take your money and run...
Preparedness: F Reputation: D