StudentsReview ™ :: Boston University - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston University

Boston University is a quality school

Feb 11 2014Business - Management and Administration
Boston University is a quality school. You will graduate having felt like your time was well spent, and that your education trumps most other schools' programs in similar disciplines.

With that being said, the school has literally zero spirit. Starting a campaign or having a voice on a topic of interest is nearly impossible because nobody cares. Athletics are also weak. Don't buy into the narrative that we're a hockey school. Hockey gets worse TV ratings than beach volleyball. Lets not kid ourselves that not having a football team hurts spirit and pride.

The facilities on campus are top-notch aside from the College of Arts and Sciences. The gym is fantastic, and it feels like new exciting construction is being done every day. I've even heard plans of further expansion to make the campus feel more like a traditional campus. BU does a great job of investing their time and money.

The people at BU are just terrible. People are snooty, arrogant and really think that they are fantastic. Girls are demanding and below-average looking. Dudes have huge egos and traditionally have backgrounds of being a loser in high school. With all this being said, the educational value is so great that I found my experience at BU to be worthwhile. Despite the terrible people, the few good people I met were fantastic. Overall, BU is a great place to go to school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: C+

I've done very well

Feb 08 2014Electrical Engineering
I've done very well academically so far, but not because of great professors. My education has been so terrible. I'm only here because I have scholarship money and because people on the outside think BU is a good school. If only they knew...
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: D-

I really don't have all that much bad

Jan 06 2014Other
I really don't have all that much bad to say about BU. I'm a freshman, and besides just not fitting that 'BU' vibe, I don't have many complaints. Boston is COLD and the bus they use is as terrible and unreliable as the public transport. Some teachers are very helpful and caring but others are just so absorbed with themselves and their own accomplishments that they don't care for students. This semester, I had some teachers that took way more time than required to help kids, and then I had some teachers who were there for a paycheck, and when I asked for help I got a "I don't have time to help" response. The BU crowd comes mostly from private schools--as do many who go to top universities--but BU really favors the rich kid. Well, no, BU doesn't favor them, but the kids here are either really hard working poor/middle class kids who want an education or rich kids running around with daddy's money who only came to party. There are a TON of international students, but there's also a huge rape culture here. There is a ton of grade deflation with many professors who don't curve grades/classes. On the positive side, the FOOD is amazing and the guys and girls are really attractive--however, most of them know they are good looking. The Deans are all nice but I don't really see them much and the health services is GREAT. Fin aide is very stingy though; BU doesn't give much money.
Campus Maintenance: A+, Individual Value: D