StudentsReview :: Boston University - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston University

Oct 03 2014Engineering Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am in engineering, I cannot speak for the other colleges because engineering sort of isolates itself away from CAS or CGS or SMG, etc.

I am majoring in biomedical engineering. It is easily the most difficult major in the most difficult college at BU. (This website should really have an option for biomed btw) I get up at 8 am and do not come back until 8 or 9 pm. The I do homework or participate in clubs. 95% of my time is spent thinking about being an engineer and excelling in my classes. The people here are a bit arrogant, but generally friendly (I am from the midwest, so we are a bit warmer). The professors here are engaging. They try hard to get you to come to office hours and develop a deeper interest in the class. I have never had a professor not have time to discuss anything I want with me. For academics and my future plans, I visit two to three advisers, who always seem happy to see me and know my name and schedule. They give advice based on what would make me not only a good engineer, but happy.

Is BU ridiculously hard and puts too much on grade inflation? Yes. Have I cried and felt depressed because of homework and tests? Holy s**t, yes. However, it's satisfying to be here. I feel like I am gaining valuable information about how to conduct myself as an engineering. I am doing what I love.

Within one and a quarter of a year, I have learned three computer programming languages, learned how to operate multiple programs such as CAD, PSpice, and Solidworks, I am about to sequence DNA in a class lab, I am helping to build a drone, and I have built my own board for electronics I was inspired to create on my own. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B-
Sep 30 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Honestly, this school was my dream school. Despite the fact that it is expensive as hell, I pursuaded my parents that this was going to be a better school than the school I received a $20,000 scholarship/year from. Believe me, it is not easy to persuade Asian parents. I paid in full (being an International Student), paid for all the other costly items such as non-refundable housing fees, rented myself a micro-fridge and thought I was going to have the best experience of my life.

I was wrong.
I'm in my junior year now, and don't get me wrong--the students seem to be very friendly, to each other. International students are just seen in the typical stereotypes of "oh, they don't know any English and they will stick together in their own Asian group." I didn't come to college to stick together with fellow Asian people. I came to college to meet new friends and experience a lot of culture.

Okay, so the faculty and classes must be good, right? Well, not exactly. So far, the classes are very disoriented, not on the level that you would expect from a 60K/year institution. The teachers are sometimes late and sometimes not very good at teaching. Let's not mention the grade deflation, which lowers my GPA tremendously compared to other schools.

So, where is all this money going? The College of Arts and Science building is so old and so outdated, it's crazy. They still teach on blackboard and chalk, the classrooms are not very technology-friendly (where are all the outlets to plug my laptop in?!) and even the simple facilities like the bathroom are disgusting and sometimes don't even work. The other buildings don't fare much better.

So, the administration has to be good right? Wrong. The administration is by far, the worst that I have worked with. They simply don't care about you as a person. You're simply just a number, that is helping them profit. Of course, there is the board and the president of BU profiting from this "big business" that the school has become. I have tried to contact student accounting, university registrars and all the other administrative departments. In the end, all I got from them was a "can't-help-you" attitude and paying almost $10,000 for fees (such as late fees (that they charge you after not paying tuition 1 day before classes begin) and unnecessary housing fees.

The student services are pretty bad too. The health services make you wait days before you can finally check out your illness. The clinicians inside don't treat you any better. They simply tell you to take care of your problems yourself and buy your own medicine. What am I paying $2000/year insurance for? All in all, BU is a very corrupt school mostly focused on how much money they can get from a student. They don't care about you as a person, or your needs as a student. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go here.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
Sep 20 2014Video/Media
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I would avoid the Film Department mainly for their treatment of Professor Raymond Carney, who has been badly treated for a decade by Chairman Paul Schneider, Dean Thomas Fiedler while BU President Robert A. Brown and Provost Dr. Jean Morrison have done nothing to stop it. Prof. Carney is now writing a blog called "Inside Boston University" detailing what has been going on within his department and the college.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018