StudentsReview :: Brandeis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University

Brandeis University is a place that has brilliantQuite BrightPsychology
Brandeis University is a place that has brilliant professors. Unfortunately, that is the only good thing about it. The housing is really bad.. and I don't know how to stress this enough. DCL doesn't care about the students at all, and is overstaffed and overpriced. The only thing worse than the administration is the food. You have to pay thousands of dollars for a meal plan with limited options and only 3 meal swipes a day at fixed timings. The meal plan is compulsory and highly frustrating. It makes things very difficult for students, especially those with dietary restrictions. Also, the timings of the dining places open are often wrong online to make it look like they are open for longer than they are. I've found insects in my food three times, and gone to bed hungry more times than I can count because I can't use one meal swipe at 5 pm and another at 10pm. Sodexo does not answer inquiry emails because no one on this campus cares about the students. Honestly, it would be okay if the housing and food was bad but the cost was extremely low. But you're paying the exact same amount, or even slightly more than people pay to live in the middle of New York City (NYU housing) to live in the middle of nowhere with rundown buildings and rude staff. And you could order a kick ass takeout by paying the exact same amount for the terrible food they serve in the dining halls. Where the hell is my money going??? Not to improve the resources on campus, that's for sure. The housing is terrible, the food is bad, the administration is rude and unresponsive, the extra- curricular activities are limited, there's a shortage of study space during every midterm season ever, there's generally nothing fun to do on the weekends, and no one seems to care about you. This semester, they shut down the convenience store early during FINALS WEEK. Lol. The tours really delude you. So unless you're on full scholarship, my advice would be- don't go to Brandeis. And don't listen to the tour guides because they're reading from a script that doesn't exist. Instead, go to community college and go to an even better place for your post grad. I really wish I had.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F
I have to make this short because ofMusic - Composition/Theory
I have to make this short because of time:
Brandies is a great institution. Excellent academics and student to teacher ratio... Brilliant, engaging, challenging, and caring professors. Great music/arts environment. Boston is a fine city and has some of the best musical venues and Arts scenes. (Great food too!). The 'T' metro subway system is good. It is not as large as New York City's..but it is clean and safe, and it is say to get around. I still miss taking the Red line home and, at that part of the track route, it was above ground, an you could see a fantastic view of the Charles river and the city. I'm currently a professor at the research I university. Brandies was a great experience! But it take A LOT of work, so be ready.
Brandeis is a fine school academically.Physics
Brandeis is a fine school academically. This is underappreciated by a lot of people on the outside. Students go to the top graduate schools in all fields, and in general are pretty smart to brilliant. There are some boneheads there, however. They really stand out in class. Don't know why they get in, but I would guess money. I conducted an alumni interview with one of the dumbest people I had ever met, and I wrote in all the details of the horrific interview and she got in. I later learned her family had a lot of money. That same year I interviewed a young lady who was very, very bright, interesting, engaging, etc. They rejected her! It was Brandeis' HUGE loss because she ended up at Stanford! Good for her. I would hate for her to be in class with the idiot that got in.

Having said this, if one is not Jewish, it will not be a friendly environment. Essentially, there is the Jewish community and everyone else. It runs about 65/35 Jewish/gentile. This can make life very difficult in the classroom. For instance, I took complex variables with a small group. About ten or so. Well, 7 or 8 students were Jewish, and they gathered before and after class to discuss homework, test preparation, etc. I felt invisible. I don't think the students recognized me around campus. I would greet them and they would either not respond or look at me as if I were crazy. I honestly believe that some of them simply did not realize I was in class with them. I had to work the problem sets alone. So I was at a serious disadvantage.

The liberalism that is claimed is not extant. Those who thought of themselves as open minded, etc. I found to be condescending, xenophobic and racist. They just smiled alot and said "What up, bro!". But don't try to socialize with them. The pain will come quickly and in big doses. I will never forget a dining hall conversation. This Jewish guy who thought of himself as a really lefty from San Francisco asked this black kid with a rather large Afro hair style where he bought his hair. After a lot of wrangling, the Jewish guy finally asserted that he asked because black people cannot grow hair longer than an inch. I was flabbergasted. But this is what you get from the lefties at Brandeis, so imagine what the conservative Jews are like.If you are Jewish, it is a great place to study. The academics are superb, and the professors will send you to the best graduate schools in the world. If you are not Jewish, be prepared for a long, enervating, disorienting experience that tests your ability to spend an entire day in class and not have a single student say anything to you. Be prepared for invisibility. If you can handle that, you will survive, and maybe even get good grades if you don't take classes with professors who do not believe that you do good work, or that it isn't yours if it is good.

Compare BrandeisSave Brandeis