StudentsReview ™ :: Brandeis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University

Campus News: Pop Culture
Nov 17 2013Psychology

Had a great time at Brandeis! The Academics are top notch and it helped to prepare me for the real world.

Starting Job: Testing Admin. Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+

You can definitely tell most of these kids

Oct 10 2013Unknown
You can definitely tell most of these kids consciously avoided the party scene in high school and/or barely crawled out of their mothers' basements. They can't make small talk that doesn't involve academics. Sports? Short circuit. Music? Not a clue. Social cues? A dead end. Basic hygiene? I don't even. For those who blame the utter lack of a social scene on campus on the workload, well, it can't be harder than MIT, can it? ...Seriously, there just aren't enough homes for many of the students who go to school here. It's even to the point where the classroom's affected... I beat myself over the head every day of my life for not giving BU or UMass Amherst a chance while I still had the possibility to transfer. 1.5 years till freedom...

I never thought I would end up at

Jul 12 2013Music - Composition/Theory
I never thought I would end up at Brandeis. In fact, until two years ago I had never even heard of this institution that I now love with all my heart. Allow me to explain.

I was raised in an upper-class family that is deeply entrenched in both New England politics and business. Throughout my high school years I attended a wealthy private school and was surrounded by the so-called elite. Thus when it came time for me to apply to universities, it only made sense that I would continue the three-generation-old family tradition of attending one of the "top" universities in the country.

Yes, my time at this Ivy League school was enjoyable, but I felt that something was lacking. Students were just going through the motions of being interested in their coursework. They were mostly intent on outdoing their peers, and often showed little interest or passion towards the material itself. I was a business major at the time, and I felt that while the level of instruction was definitely superb, the passion that I expected to be there was absent.

With that in mind, I began a search to transfer to a different school. No longer caring about what my family would think, I spent hours reading online reviews and chatting with students at schools throughout the country. I visited over 15 universities, but when I stepped onto the Brandeis campus I knew it was the place for me.

Brandeis is the exact opposite of everything I had experienced at my previous university. Students at Brandeis love what they do. They are friendly and genuinely care about making the world a better place. They are not afraid to break the mold and voice their opinions. Every single student has a passion and follows it, and after only a few months there I decided to forgo studying business and instead began pursuing musical theory.

The faculty members, on the whole, are stellar and, in my opinion, much better lecturers than those at my previous school. It is easy to meet with professors and because most of the classes are small, professors are able to devote much more time to each individual.

Contrary to many of the comments here, social life at Brandeis is robust. There's always something going on, whether it is a play, a lecture, or an arts festival. There are parties every weekend, both at fraternities and in other locations. This should not worry anyone!

Finally, I just want to mention that Brandeis' location is excellent. By being just outside of Boston, Brandeis maintains the feel of a small-liberal arts college, but students are able to easily travel to Boston whenever they desire. There are free shuttles, trains, and buses. Personally, I am in Boston nearly every weekend.In all, choosing Brandeis was the best decision of my life. I highly recommend this incredible institution to all who are seeking an intellectual environment, incredible students and faculty, and who possess a passion for social justice.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015