StudentsReview :: Bay State College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bay State College

From my experience, I have learned that Bay

Nov 20 2012Unknown
From my experience, I have learned that Bay State College is all about the money. It is ran by a man who inherited the family business, and a business it is. It is in a great urban setting, but the dorms and campus life are horrible. I started out living in a dorm and left after one semester! 6 girls in one room should never be allowed! The buildings are unique, because they are old, but I think only one is handicapped accessible. I was in an accident and was on crutches for half of a semester. I felt like I burdened the whole class because we all had to move to another building just for me.

Anyone can get accepted here and the quality of education really depends on the program and the professors you get. Since anyone is accepted, this college ends up being filled with students who could not get in anywhere else. They are not prepared for college and bring the whole class down with immature behavior and low skill level. Through the years, I have had some excellent teachers and tutors though. The library is super small and every computer is always filled with people facebooking. I have noticed that most qualified faculty/staff seem to move on quickly.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Friendliness: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F

if you are considering in enrolling at Bay

Jan 20 2012Other
if you are considering in enrolling at Bay State, make sure it's for the right reasons. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you don't mind living in an extremely small dorm room with up to 6 girls then go for it. I got lucky with a double but it was meant for a single because there is no space what so ever.

The location is in downtown Boston, so if that's where you want to live then apply, but be warned that there isn't any campus life at all...so shopping and hanging out with the people who live on campus is your limits. Comm Ave is the "outside high school hallway" because you will literally see the same people like high school all the time.

It is a college where the majority of students leave every weekend to go home.
Remember this is a FOR PROFIT PRIVATE COLLEGE which means that the college or "business" wants your money more than helping you with your education. The computers are outdated. If it had more to offer then the price wouldn't be that bad. Do some research on FOR PROFIT colleges, so you don't get screwed out of money.

The food here is gross it's literally the same pasta, pizza, and spicy rice every single day so go out to restaurants or even burger king if you want a more appealing meal.

There is no campus, that's just fancy talk for dorms & classrooms placed in the city. No students are allowed to hangout in the comm ave mall after sunset and half way through the fall the sunsets at about 3:30/4 so what are you supposed to do then? I feel like i'm being babysat.

A few of the cafeteria workers made me feel very uncomfortable and i am not the only one to say so. If you are white then you are pretty much a minority, but hey at least it's diverse...

As far as the programs go, make sure your a die- hard for whatever major you choose; yup that's right you choose a major right off the bat so if your still in high school and aren't sure if you want to major in something right away go to community college and save some money.

The surrounding city's fun but once snow hits the ground nobody does anything really.Gooooodluck with college hunting; hope this helps!

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A-, Extracurricular Activities: F

DO NOT PASS THIS REVIEW

Oct 24 2011Other
DO NOT PASS THIS REVIEW. PLEASE IT WILL HELP YOU AND SAVE YOU FROM ALL THE STRESS AND MONEY YOU WASTE COMING HERE!

Well first off Bay State college only offers one thing good about the school and that is its location right in downtown Boston. If i could attend a different school in the same location, best believe i would.

This is my first year in the school and its HORRIBLE. I was living on campus and was put in a room of 6 total girls. All of them gained up on me everyday and bullied me constantly. They would constantly tell the R.A. on me for little petty things such as "she skypes too much, she hasnt contributed any cleaning supplies, etc..." then they would always act like i was non-existent and would ask eachother to go out then leave me behind. They would touch my stuff, leave me nasty notes, destroy my property and tried to boss me around. It was also to the point where i would leave for the weekend to go home and wouldnt even want to go back in my dorm and dreaded going back to spend another whole week with the girls i lived with. When i was in my room i never felt comfortable and always would try to find other things to do so i could spend as little time as possible in there. Also, one was racist and would always say racist slurs like it was appropriate. These girls did nothing but rash on everyone else on campus, including myself. Luckily im strong and could deal with it for the most part but its pretty pathetic when you mention all this to the faculty and they will lie and say its the first time they hear anything about it and then do NOTHING about it. Even when the DEAN was notified she "didnt care" and basically admitted bullying was no concern to her or how it affected me.

Also, everything here is a violation. No smoking near any of the buildings, no going in the park at dark, dont be loud, no more than 2 guest in a room, no standing outside the dorms, no candles, no microwaves....the list goes forever.

Money money money. Thats one thing this school loves! WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LIVE ON CAMPUS- IF YOU DECIDE TO EVEN COME TO THIS RUN DOWN SCHOOL. I spent $20,000 to live on campus for 2 months with dealing with nothing but headaches and to basically throw all my money away. All this school cares about is the money, not about you. Honestly if the dean doesnt even care about a student being bullied; thats as low as it gets, but hey shes getting paid by me so shes happy. When i first came here i thought the reviews might have been wrong and i gave the school a chance "its what you make of it" WRONG. The school is a joke! Pay to go there, pay to live there, pay to eat nasty food, pay for all your supplies, pay for your laundry, pay for books, and for all the money they get they dont even have a parking garage and the printers are always broken and ONLY have black ink. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE THATS CHEAPER AND ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU AND YOUR EDUCATION.

I learn all the same things i did in highschool and the kids in this school act so immature i feel like im babysitting. All of them are pretty much only there to get higher GPA'S and all hate that school just as much as i do. Better off going to a community college or any college at that! Trust, this is NO college, this is a money robbing joke that i dont understand how it even remains to have students attend here. Yes, the teachers are nice and do try, but the faculty sure doesnt. You wont recieve any help and if you do try talking to them good luck cause it will take you weeks before they get back to you.This was such a waste of my time and money that i would hate to see anyone be in the position im in and not get the first year college experience all teens want. Im so disapointed im beside myself. They rob people from their potential education and money. I would NEVER recemmend this school to ANYONE. So please if you read this take it very seriously or youll end up in debt thousands of dollars just to get NOWHERE.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015