StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Emerson College

A terrible, terrible school whose alleged devotion to

Aug 16 2014Unknown
A terrible, terrible school whose alleged devotion to protecting and enforcing the rights and liberties of its individual students whilst encouraging them to conjure up their own opinions is a lie, a farce enacted by the liberal and gay administrators who run this place. At the behest of the government, this school has harrassed me on a daily basis and has attempted to disrupt my plans in order to protect the political fortunes of the powers that be in one of the most dysfunctionally liberal states in the nation. The professors are given talking points and share them in class in order to poison the atmosphere. Whilst at Emerson, one professor, at the behest of the government, encouraged me to stop practicing for the LSAT, and certain students in my classes have been placed their in order to monitor me. When they look at me, they see Hitler. When I look at them, I see garbage.

Emerson College was my dream school

Sep 14 2014Video/Media
Emerson College was my dream school. For years I had wanted to be a movie director, and living in Massachusetts, Emerson seemed perfect. I hated it. Living in the city is awful. Everything is dirty in the city, I was always on edge in terms of safety. My dorm was right on the front of the building, with a view of the Common, which was highly desirable, but incredibly loud day and night. I am not at all a partier, and Emerson isn't known as a party school, but it totally IS. My floor was the party floor, everyone was drunk except for, thankfully, my suitemates. All my suitemates, however, were acting majors, and I am a total introvert, very shy. Everyone I met was loud, extroverted. It was hard for me to fit in. So if you think you are going to meet quiet creative types, they are rare here. After living in the dorms (which all very nice, all newly renovated or built) for a month, I decided to commute instead, which turned out to be the lesser of two evils. Commuting was the worst. Better than living there for me, but terrible. One of my classrooms was above a club, so there would sometimes be pounding dance music during night classes. The dining hall was small and has very limited and average quality food. I had a mental breakdown, am taking semesters off, and never want to go back. For some people I am sure this is the perfect school. I just want to help people so they don't experience what I did. Think about it a lot. If I had had the opportunity to spend the night here before applying, which some schools but not Emerson offer, I would not have gone here.
Innovation: A, Useful Schoolwork: D-

Honestly, I need to write this review because

Apr 16 2014Communications
Honestly, I need to write this review because I remember when I was looking at this school, I saw some incredibly negative reviews that really terrified me about coming here. So I want to give my own personal experience with this college for all of you who might be anything like me:I love this school. I love this city. I love these people. I LOVE Emerson College. I'm a Political Communications major and feel as though I'm actually learning brilliant, out-of-the-box ways of thinking in regards to politics, communication, and media, and feel as though every single one of my classes makes me think so much more than some random gen-ed at any other college would. I come away every day with a new attitude on something that was talked about. The professors are brilliant and kind and caring (some can be a little bit condescending at times, I won't lie, but that's only because they are ridiculously smart. Work hard, put in effort, and you're sure to get on their good side. All condescension will evaporate immediately.) They are fair here. Some kids will complain and tell you they're not, but in all honestly I feel as though I've deserved every single grade I've received here--good or bad. You just have to work for it. There are some arrogant students who came in here obviously thinking it was going to be a piece of cake, and that is not the case. But the more you work, the more reward you get. It's so simple. As for social life, this school is unlike any other I've ever seen. It's this odd mix of hipster geniuses and high school outcasts that all seem to get along quite effectively. (I was a high school outcast. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.) Everyone is so friendly here, and yes--you will meet the occasional stuck-up prick but come on. Where won't you meet one of those? I have made my greatest and most incredible friends here, gone out and partied and had a ridiculously fun time out in Boston, (Beautiful city. Beautiful. Perfect. And so many colleges nearby? Impossible not to find somewhere to go and have fun on the weekend. Seriously. Walk outside. You'll find something to do, I swear., and not to mention have received some of the greatest education and life advice that I could have ever asked for. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...everything is what you make of it. If you come into this school expecting the typical "college" (frat guys, sorority girls, binge drinking *okay, so there's some of that, but c'mon.*, keggers, and a quad, you are sorely mistaken and have come to the wrong place. But if you wnt genuinely fascinating, kind, brilliant people, professors who care deeply for their job, and getting a good education in an absolutely wonderful city? Yeah. You're gonna like it here.
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-