StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Emerson College

People are so whiny on here, Emerson isBrightPolitical Science
People are so whiny on here, Emerson is what you make of it. I had the most fun I could've imagined going all around Boston and living with my suite. You build bonds with whoever you get put together with and it becomes a family. You can either slide through classes high or you can put out an effort and get noticed by the teachers. Making a connection with certain teachers allows you to be invited to organization trips and events all throughout the year. Every teacher has hours to meet exclusively with them, so there is no excuse for no being able to comprehend the subject matter. Boston has something for everyone and its the perfect college town. Whether you want to go sledding on the Commons at 3 in the morning with your friends or see a production or get drunk and wander around Cambridge, this is the perfect college experience. Don't let complainers take that away from you.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: B
There's nothing to say about Emerson other thanQuite BrightPolitical Science
There's nothing to say about Emerson other than the fact that it's really a combination of dumb luck and what you pick as a major that determines whether or not you have a good experience. The major I was in offered a decent amount of contact with professors/instructors, one course with the acting chair of the department. I had one notoriously hard professor three times, but it was worth the effort to learn the material. Some of the hardest classes that I got the worst grades in, were coincidentally, the best classes I ever took in my life. In a word, it was challenging in a way I didn't expect. Some of them were almost experimental in nature, and there was a fair amount of innovation in terms of teaching.

Yes, there are going to be snooty, self-absorbed rich kids "buying" a degree with the expectation of making it "big", when it actually requires talent, but it doesn't necessarily take away from a decent experience with some extraordinary teachers. All in all, there was a drastic statistical lean towards good academic progress versus "slacker-dom". I expected it to be much easier than it actually was. The majority of my instructors were good at what they were teaching. Some of them mentored me, some didn't even know how to pronounce my name.

It is expensive, and unless you're committed to communications, invest in something different. And it's supposedly getting more selective in terms of admissions.

4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Surrounding City: A+, Social Life: C-
Honestly, I need to write this review becauseQuite BrightCommunications
Honestly, I need to write this review because I remember when I was looking at this school, I saw some incredibly negative reviews that really terrified me about coming here. So I want to give my own personal experience with this college for all of you who might be anything like me:I love this school. I love this city. I love these people. I LOVE Emerson College. I'm a Political Communications major and feel as though I'm actually learning brilliant, out-of-the-box ways of thinking in regards to politics, communication, and media, and feel as though every single one of my classes makes me think so much more than some random gen-ed at any other college would. I come away every day with a new attitude on something that was talked about. The professors are brilliant and kind and caring (some can be a little bit condescending at times, I won't lie, but that's only because they are ridiculously smart. Work hard, put in effort, and you're sure to get on their good side. All condescension will evaporate immediately.) They are fair here. Some kids will complain and tell you they're not, but in all honestly I feel as though I've deserved every single grade I've received here--good or bad. You just have to work for it. There are some arrogant students who came in here obviously thinking it was going to be a piece of cake, and that is not the case. But the more you work, the more reward you get. It's so simple. As for social life, this school is unlike any other I've ever seen. It's this odd mix of hipster geniuses and high school outcasts that all seem to get along quite effectively. (I was a high school outcast. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.) Everyone is so friendly here, and yes--you will meet the occasional stuck-up prick but come on. Where won't you meet one of those? I have made my greatest and most incredible friends here, gone out and partied and had a ridiculously fun time out in Boston, (Beautiful city. Beautiful. Perfect. And so many colleges nearby? Impossible not to find somewhere to go and have fun on the weekend. Seriously. Walk outside. You'll find something to do, I swear., and not to mention have received some of the greatest education and life advice that I could have ever asked for. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...everything is what you make of it. If you come into this school expecting the typical "college" (frat guys, sorority girls, binge drinking *okay, so there's some of that, but c'mon.*, keggers, and a quad, you are sorely mistaken and have come to the wrong place. But if you wnt genuinely fascinating, kind, brilliant people, professors who care deeply for their job, and getting a good education in an absolutely wonderful city? Yeah. You're gonna like it here.
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-