StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Emerson College

Emerson had been my dream school for allBrightEnglish
Emerson had been my dream school for all of high school. I only applied to three other colleges because I was so sure that was where I wanted to go. When I finally got in, I was elated.

When I got there, however, I was met with a pretty rude awakening. This was not the school that I had made it out to be. First off, all of my courses were very easy. Even with personal problems 1st semester that led me to hand in poor-quality work almost always late, I got B+s and As. It also became very clear to me that the social groups here were not was I was looking for in the least.

You have your super-involved, peppy kids, the ones who are into all the musical theater events. You have your druggies (everyone at this school does some form of drugs) who smoke up to 5 times per day. You have straight-up weird kids. But there's really no middle ground. None of these people are down-to-earth. I met very few who would just want to kick back and have a beer. Every time going out here would either involve huge amounts of glitter or an offer of shrooms. I also found that many people here had little experience with drinking and partying, and therefore made going out in Boston difficult and embarrassing.I loved being in the epicenter of Boston, a beautiful city. I transferred out of Emerson to a commuter school near my hometown, and I don't regret it for a second. The people and the second-rate classes here and not worth your hard-earned money. Awful school, awful way to spend a year.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F
I've had a good time so far.Quite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I've had a good time so far. The College seems to offer a good amount an Interactive Media department, and also offers a promising looking class for starting a business.

The alumni whom I've heard of seem successful and on the same track I'd like to find myself on. It's definitely legit when it comes to film and media majors. I've heard mixed reviews about the writing department however between WLP and Journalism. I'd double check that before going.

The social scene is decent. There's definitely a lot going on if you just look. My only problem is that I don't like a lot of the people since I tend to find alot of them shallow/bitchy/spoiled rich kids. However there's also a lot of people here who are either normal or weird and kind of awesome. Even though a lot are transferring I've found a descent amount who are cool. To be real I enjoy being ambitious and keeping myself busy so socializing is not even a top priority.

No matter what the social scene is though, living in a city is awesome, especially Boston. There's no sense of a campus at all which makes you just a citizen of a city which is a big social scene in itself. If you just get out and meet people in Boston as well as participate in activities (I found a great rock climbing gym) go to events, etc, you'll have an awesome time no matter what. If you have a great College social life that's even better.

The one part that pisses me off is the lack of intramurals, but Boston takes care of that for the most part. Quidditch kicks ass though.Unless the academics suck I don't see a reason to transfer. It is a really good place, don't judge it based off of social reviews because in the end the point of College is to give you steps toward a better career, and I've definitely found that here.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C+
Honestly, I need to write this review becauseQuite BrightCommunications
Honestly, I need to write this review because I remember when I was looking at this school, I saw some incredibly negative reviews that really terrified me about coming here. So I want to give my own personal experience with this college for all of you who might be anything like me:I love this school. I love this city. I love these people. I LOVE Emerson College. I'm a Political Communications major and feel as though I'm actually learning brilliant, out-of-the-box ways of thinking in regards to politics, communication, and media, and feel as though every single one of my classes makes me think so much more than some random gen-ed at any other college would. I come away every day with a new attitude on something that was talked about. The professors are brilliant and kind and caring (some can be a little bit condescending at times, I won't lie, but that's only because they are ridiculously smart. Work hard, put in effort, and you're sure to get on their good side. All condescension will evaporate immediately.) They are fair here. Some kids will complain and tell you they're not, but in all honestly I feel as though I've deserved every single grade I've received here--good or bad. You just have to work for it. There are some arrogant students who came in here obviously thinking it was going to be a piece of cake, and that is not the case. But the more you work, the more reward you get. It's so simple. As for social life, this school is unlike any other I've ever seen. It's this odd mix of hipster geniuses and high school outcasts that all seem to get along quite effectively. (I was a high school outcast. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.) Everyone is so friendly here, and yes--you will meet the occasional stuck-up prick but come on. Where won't you meet one of those? I have made my greatest and most incredible friends here, gone out and partied and had a ridiculously fun time out in Boston, (Beautiful city. Beautiful. Perfect. And so many colleges nearby? Impossible not to find somewhere to go and have fun on the weekend. Seriously. Walk outside. You'll find something to do, I swear., and not to mention have received some of the greatest education and life advice that I could have ever asked for. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...everything is what you make of it. If you come into this school expecting the typical "college" (frat guys, sorority girls, binge drinking *okay, so there's some of that, but c'mon.*, keggers, and a quad, you are sorely mistaken and have come to the wrong place. But if you wnt genuinely fascinating, kind, brilliant people, professors who care deeply for their job, and getting a good education in an absolutely wonderful city? Yeah. You're gonna like it here.
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-