StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Emerson College

As a transfer student, I have had anQuite BrightJournalism
As a transfer student, I have had an INCREDIBLE experience so far at Emerson. Spending time at another university, I learned how to go about college before I came here. So much of college is WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. Emerson offers SO MUCH, but you have to go to it!

Everyone here loves what they do, and loves school, which is an incredibly refreshing feeling. It motivates you to succeed, and creates such a wonderful atmosphere.

So many comments on here about arrogant students- they're at all schools! I have found an incredible abundance of friendly, welcoming people. Students here know what they want to do, and they love it.Emerson offers so much to their students. After a year at a large state university, I was not happy with the lack of opportunities. At Emerson, not only is it easy fro a student to make their own opportunities, but classes get you DIRECTLY involved in your field, offering equipment right away and making hands on assignments.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
I'm sad to see that Emerson has continuedEnglish
I'm sad to see that Emerson has continued the downward slide that began while I was there.
There were many positive aspects to my education experience. I made several friends, I had many wonderful and highly qualified teachers who taught me a lot, my classmates were motivated and involved in class discussions (I learned almost as much from talking to them as I did from my professors), and there was a variety of social and extracurricular activities (including literary magazines, comedy troupes, and student-produced plays). My academic advisor was a renowned poet, and very helpful in the class selection process. My other professors were frequently available for, and highly accommodating of, questions and discussion after class. Among my classmates, I saw very few of the wealthy, arrogant hipsters who now seem to populate the school. I never felt unaccepted due to my clothes, possessions or income. Maybe that was just because of the program I was in.

On the negative side, there were some not-so-great teachers, including one who used classroom time as a personal political platform and one writing instructor who openly played favorites and refused to hear differing opinions. And a few of those arrogant hipsters turned up (there was one particularly insufferable one in two of my classes), but you can find those at any college. The biggest problem with the school was, and apparently still is, the administration. The wonderful faculty was not paid adequately for the hard work they did. The classroom buildings, dining facilities and dorms were not in the best state of repair. The "copy/print credit" system was abysmal. Considering the cost of tuition, this didn't seem right. I heard stories of misconduct and outright corruption among the senior administrative staff. One of my friends produced a very clever play (a parody of Pere Ubu) on the subject.I had some great times at Emerson, learned a lot and made good friends. So it's sad to see that current students are so unsatisfied, due to continued administrative ignorance and misconduct. The declining academic standards and climbing tuition ensures that the arrogant, entitled and wealthy hipster population will climb while the school's reputation plummets.

It's true what they say, you need toAverageUndecided
It's true what they say, you need to know what you want to do in an "liberal" school if you wish to enjoy Emerson to the fullest. You need to get out there and find what it is you are looking for. By simply sitting in your dorm and watching re-runs of shows won't help much. There is way to much to do at Emerson. Equipments and such are all provided only if you are there to find them. In the end, this is a great school I must say. I've doubt it before, but it was all just me who didn't want to get out there and enjoy. If you love art, love to create, love to be part of shows/projects/crazy interactions. I'd say give it a shot, it's a great school after.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015