StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY

Emerson College

I was honestly so scared to come toAverageVideo/Media
I was honestly so scared to come to Emerson. I read all the negative stuff on here and I was scared that I would not make any friends and that I would be depressed, but I am thoroughly surprised. I have found my experience pretty positive here. I made a tight group of friends, from all over the country and even international. I find the classes useful. I am excited to learn and I am creating some pretty good stuff for my portfolio. And I think the location is pretty cool. Even though we do not have a campus, we are smack dab in the center of Boston, so you have the freedom to go all over--Newburry Street, MIT, Northeastern, Beacon Hill, etc. I don't know, college is whatever you make of it really. Don't be afraid to try new things and to meet new kinds of people!
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C
Honestly, I need to write this review becauseQuite BrightCommunications
Honestly, I need to write this review because I remember when I was looking at this school, I saw some incredibly negative reviews that really terrified me about coming here. So I want to give my own personal experience with this college for all of you who might be anything like me:I love this school. I love this city. I love these people. I LOVE Emerson College. I'm a Political Communications major and feel as though I'm actually learning brilliant, out-of-the-box ways of thinking in regards to politics, communication, and media, and feel as though every single one of my classes makes me think so much more than some random gen-ed at any other college would. I come away every day with a new attitude on something that was talked about. The professors are brilliant and kind and caring (some can be a little bit condescending at times, I won't lie, but that's only because they are ridiculously smart. Work hard, put in effort, and you're sure to get on their good side. All condescension will evaporate immediately.) They are fair here. Some kids will complain and tell you they're not, but in all honestly I feel as though I've deserved every single grade I've received here--good or bad. You just have to work for it. There are some arrogant students who came in here obviously thinking it was going to be a piece of cake, and that is not the case. But the more you work, the more reward you get. It's so simple. As for social life, this school is unlike any other I've ever seen. It's this odd mix of hipster geniuses and high school outcasts that all seem to get along quite effectively. (I was a high school outcast. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.) Everyone is so friendly here, and yes--you will meet the occasional stuck-up prick but come on. Where won't you meet one of those? I have made my greatest and most incredible friends here, gone out and partied and had a ridiculously fun time out in Boston, (Beautiful city. Beautiful. Perfect. And so many colleges nearby? Impossible not to find somewhere to go and have fun on the weekend. Seriously. Walk outside. You'll find something to do, I swear., and not to mention have received some of the greatest education and life advice that I could have ever asked for. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...everything is what you make of it. If you come into this school expecting the typical "college" (frat guys, sorority girls, binge drinking *okay, so there's some of that, but c'mon.*, keggers, and a quad, you are sorely mistaken and have come to the wrong place. But if you wnt genuinely fascinating, kind, brilliant people, professors who care deeply for their job, and getting a good education in an absolutely wonderful city? Yeah. You're gonna like it here.
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-
A cesspool of AIDS, the college is aNot so brightArchitecture
A cesspool of AIDS, the college is a mecca for the decadent and amoral, those lost souls who have been condemned to wander round in the blistering heat of the desert, the very people who have been cast out from the Kingdom of Heaven and who must now come to terms with their paramount plight, which consists of standing just outside and beyond the gates of the aforementioned haven, asking themselves for time immemorial, ?Where did I go wrong?? The first day I arrived at the clinic I was confronted by an African green monkey, from whose gullet poured forth the bodily fluid known as saliva; it coursed down his chin before dripping down onto the carpet, across whose expanse were a number of brown and white stains. ?Come with me,? said the monkey, making a shaky motion with his head whilst extending out his paw, which I grasped, trembling slightly; we marched together, hand in hand, through the Little Building and out onto the street, where, I must admit, I stumbled, for I have a rash. Together we made our way to the Emerson Cafe, where the African green monkey and I spoke of the future, before hailing Magic Johnson as our Lord and Savior; then, we made love in the most passionate of fashions; then there was peace; the monkey held me in his arms and told me that I had been initiated into the club, a rite of passage reserved for only the best. Over the course of the next few months, I began to cough and retch and a number of sores appeared throughout my delicate body, particularly in its most sacred of areas; it was with much pride that I thus proclaimed to all those around me: ?I have AIDs.?
Education Quality: A+,