StudentsReview :: Emerson College - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 9
Females 5
Males 4
Avg years at University 1.2
Research Quality D+ (3.3)
Research Availability C- (3.9)
Research Funding C- (3.9)
Graduate Politics C (4.4)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.3)
Degree Completion C (4.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (3.5)
Sufficient Pay C- (4.0)
Competitiveness B (6.7)
Education Quality B- (6.2)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.3)
Useful Research C+ (5.7)
"Individual" treatment B (6.8)
Friendliness B (7.1)
Safety C+ (5.0)
Campus Beauty B (6.8)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.3)
University Spending B (6.6)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.5)
Scholastic Success B (6.8)
Surrounding City A (9.6)
Social Life/ Environment A- (8.5)
Research QualityD+
Surrounding CityA
I attended Emerson College as a graduate studentJul 16 2014Video/Media
I attended Emerson College as a graduate student from 2005-2007, where I completed a two year Masters degree program in 'Visual Media Arts'. I was fairly hopeful going into the program that it would somehow be a positive experience and I would gain skills, direction, etc which would help me as I would start to try and get a career going in the media field. However, it proved to be a serious letdown, and seven years later I still highly regret wasting my time and money on this so-called program, which is now defunct, and has been modified in the form of an MFA program - apparently the faculty/professors finally realized that the program was basically not legit in that it did not provide any actual skills or applicable knowledge, direction, etc, leaving the students empty handed, lost, and hopeless upon graduating. I can tell you that prior to Emerson, I completed a two-month filmmaking program at the NY Film Academy in NYC, and in this basic filmmaking program, which itself wasn't even anything special, I learned literally about nine times as much as I learned during my two years at Emerson - where I literally learned nothing, which I know sounds hard to believe that a masters program could provide absolutely no skills and practical knowledge, let alone career guidance, etc, but I am honestly telling the truth. The courses were so basic, watered-down, unhelpful, and essentially provided no concrete or practical education or skill, that's the only way I can explain it. Ultimately, I have no one to blame but myself for not dropping out of the program early on, but I have to live with my decision to stay, and my ongoing difficulty in explaining to people, particularly in job interviews, what exactly this master's degree is, or was. If I was some sort of raging jerk, excuse my language, I would have actually attempted to pursue some sort of lawsuit against the school, or department, for failing to provide an adequate education or something, but that's just not me. I only hope that someone from the Emerson VMA department reads this commentary and actually takes note of the harm they have caused to myself and probably many other students, and I still believe we are owed at least some sort of apology for the horrible disservice we have been given.
An absolute JokeApr 27 2013Communications
An absolute Joke.... First of all 82% of the students were from Taiwan and had no job experience (this was only done because emerson needs more money and they can charge international students more because of the "fee" for international students). This made the program not competitive at all; everyone either lazy or unintelligent. I was one of few who had any sort of work experience in the program and I can tell you that the program does not prepare you for the real world at all or a future in marketing. I prepares you for the times of Mad Men, which I might add, are 50 years behind us. Do not waste 50K on this program; you would be better off taking a loan out for a year period and doing multiple unpaid internships.
The Marketing department is a jokeNov 25 2010Unknown
The Marketing department is a joke. The Director left after one year. The faculty keep leaving. The Dean goes out drinking with students. Politics and turnover ruin this place.

Maybe the new president will help. Many promises were made. Few delivered. Go to other programs in theBoston area and save yourself from all the turmoil at Emerson in marketing.

Emerson is a school where I truly feelJan 20 2009Communications
Emerson is a school where I truly feel that I fit in. The professors are amazingly approachable and the students are friendly and outgoing. The campus is a city campus, but it has an impressive array of facilities considering we have such little space to work with. Boston is also a great city, somewhat expensive, but still liveable. The only improvement I can suggest is that more courses be added to the curriculum in Integrated Marketing Communication.
The Theater Education graduate program at Emerson isJan 20 2009Perfomance Arts
The Theater Education graduate program at Emerson is one of very few in the country which focus specifically on this area of study. While the curriculum is thorough and challenging it simultaneously allows for busy lifestyles and work commitments. The age range of students varies from those directly out of undergrad to those already in the working world for years. I appreciate the diversity of age, experience and passions that each of my classmates have. Emerson sits in the heart of Boston directly across from Boston Common. Currently, renovations are in progress on several buildings and once completed, they will only further enhance Emerson's already upscale and modern facilities.
Coming into graduate school,Jan 18 2009Communications
Coming into graduate school, I expected to put in a lot of hard work and competition to be fierce. However, after coming here, I noticed the course work to be pretty relaxed for most of the courses. I would expect it to be a little more intense.
Overall I love EmersonJan 16 2009Video/Media
Overall I love Emerson. Some of the undergrads are arrogant and difficult to deal with but overall there are more cool, friendly people than arrogant students. The faculty is amazing and to me that's all that matters. Also, I am getting what I paid for and loving the experience of being at this very supportive College. Faculty is amazingly supportive and friendly. I can't over emphasize that enough. They are really there to help students find their voice. In terms of your Masters project they will support your ideas even if you yourself and nervous about them.
Research Topic(s): N/A
Choose Emerson over NYUJan 08 2009Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Choose Emerson over NYU for grad film school because it was cheaper and the faculty were much more approachable and helpful. I loved grad school at Emerson, and now they have an MFA program for Film. I might just go back to get that degree now.
I absolutly love EmersonDec 25 2008Communications
I absolutly love Emerson. Some of the undergrads can be a bit pertentious and that can get annoying, but as long as you can ignore that you'll be fine. The faculty is amazing and so approachable. I would recommend this school to anyone interested in communications.
You will read about the excellent facility andDec 26 2004Journalism
You will read about the excellent facility and state-of-the-art technology in their promotional material however, the faculty is ill prepared to use the high-technology. Additionally, the facilities are poorly managed leaving little time to access the labs, etc. outside of class.

The faculty structure (union conflicts and intra-departmental politics) spills over into the classroom. Department heads' hands are tied and can't deal with the incompetence of their subordinates.

There are several excellent part-time associate professors, however many of the full professors do not take any real interest in their student’s welfare.

Examples of poor teaching in the Grad Journalism Dept.:

• A teacher that is not familiar with Web design teaches from a "how-to" book on Dreamweaver
• A professor that instructs journalism students to "embellish" the facts and "feed" your interviewees quotes.

• More than one professor who agrees to write recommendation letters but does not follow through. Other professors who tell students that such requests are a "pain in the ass"

• Computerized TV studio equipment that are down for 20% of a semester’s classes.
• Several professors who extinguish students desire to succeed by providing limited encouragement and extensive criticism.

• Financial services office that has yet to complete a request correctly on first try.
Good place for Broadcast Journalism students to get makeup advice but don't try to get a demo tape or decent clips from any class work done here.This school is a total joke. I went to BU for u-grad and Emerson for grad and if you have the choice go to BU or anywhere else besides Emerson.

Research Topic(s): The Cost of Free Software